• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 146 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Whatever the reasons behind Pogcar's performance, it was notheless surprising that he was outgunned by so many to the line. Perhaps being in such good form from UAE Tour through TA and Flanders indicates he is in a downward turn? Or maybe he just isn't good on the Mur de Huy? Only a first go at it, but he was certainly below expectations. On the other hand, Alaphilippe wasn't in the race either at the end, although perhaps this has to do with marking Tadej too long, thus betting on the wrong horse in a manner of speaking. Whatever the case, suddenly Liege is looking a more open race than previoulsy expected.
He did try in 2020 soon after he won TDF but his performance was very similar to what he showed today…

I personally think his aim was a peak that stretches from MSR to RVV. LBL is a race he already won and Pogacar seems like a guy that really wants to strive for 5. Even Pogacar can't peak from UAE tour all the way to Liège.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be suprised if he wins in Liège, but I don't expect him to be as dominant in LBL as he was in Flanders where he was the strongest in the race. The sprint in Huy never lies. Guys that end up top 20 usually do wel in LBL.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Short interview with Eddy Merckx for Slovenian media.

He visited Slovenia in 1961. It was his first trip abroad. With a group of students he visited Bled and did some hiking in surrounding hills. Pogačar reminds him of him. Not waiting till the end to win a stage. He still watches biggest races on TV and enjoys that much more then selfies and signing autographs. He mentioned Mohorič and Roglič. He sees all three as champions that always race to win.

Chapeau!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Short interview with Eddy Merckx for Slovenian media.

He visited Slovenia in 1961. It was his first trip abroad. With a group of students he visited Bled and did some hiking in surrounding hills. Pogačar reminds him of him. Not waiting till the end to win a stage. He still watches biggest races on TV and enjoys that much more then selfies and signing autographs. He mentioned Mohorič and Roglič. He sees all three as champions that always race to win.

Chapeau!

Are we sure that Merckx didn’t visit Slovenia in early 1998?