• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 585 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One thing I was starting to wonder is, if Mercx GT stage win record might actually be achievable for him. Today puts Pogacar at 18 (equaling Peter Sagan btw) while Mercx has 64. So this is obviously a record he would have to achieve by extreme longevity, but if he can win around 4 stages per GT, he will "only" be about 11 GTs away after this Giro. If he starts doing multiple GTs per year I don't think that record is out of the question.

One thing I was starting to wonder is, if Mercx GT stage win record might actually be achievable for him. Today puts Pogacar at 18 (equaling Peter Sagan btw) while Mercx has 64. So this is obviously a record he would have to achieve by extreme longevity, but if he can win around 4 stages per GT, he will "only" be about 11 GTs away after this Giro. If he starts doing multiple GTs per year I don't think that record is out of the question.

I think he does not care about the records. But he likes to win and if he starts riding double GT's every year this number is doable. It just depends if he will start with this as he just loves 1 day racing.

I think double-digit GT wins is more achievable than 64 stages.

Cav had a run of 6-9-8-7-6-7 GT stage wins yearly, but peak year (or three) is not what makes or breaks such a record - it's a high tally season after season without exception. Pogi had only 2 last year, he can't afford similar years with the pace needed for 64 stage wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipeheem

Cav had a run of 6-9-8-7-6-7 GT stage wins yearly, but peak year (or three) is not what makes or breaks such a record - it's a high tally season after season without exception. Pogi had only 2 last year, he can't afford similar years with the pace needed for 64 stage wins.
Depends on how long he plans to race and if he will have a long career.

Cav has had long career but a few years where he won close to nothing, just for the discussion. Whats his average per season?

Reactions: SHAD0W93

It strongly depends on how long Pogacars peak will be. If he starts to become worse in his early 30s he would have to keep up an insane pace. But it's possible for cyclists to be at their best until their late 30s so I don't think we can rule out that possibility. In lots of sports right now we see a lot of records fall solely due to atheletes longevity having improved a lot.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It can't if he doesn't try. All records can be broken. There are other reasons why it has not happened yet. Mainly because there was never a schedule that made sense for other great riders to try it.
It would be unbelievable and unheard of.

I dont think it would be wise and that it would potentially cause more damage. I dont think it is realistic or will/could ever happen.

It is more likely that you could do Tour-Vuelta, then the Giro the following year.