• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 796 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If we go by that logic of "farmers" in Merckx era, then we can say the same about this era.

This era is basically 3/4 riders above everybody, and the rest is farmers.

What is the name of the guys Pogacar beat in strade bianche, Giro? I'm not going to talk of the Tour because the competition he faced was injuried competition, even if it was better than the competition he faced in the previous races.

There is 3/4 guys that win every race, especially Pogacar who won a lot this year, and then there is a bunch of farmers who always lose against those guys.

What if the level of the riders/teams today is just way higher than in Merckx' era and these 4 or 5 riders (Vingegaard in stage races included) are just on such a level that it makes top talents look like average riders?

Reactions: johnymax and xo 1

Fos

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
If we go by that logic of "farmers" in Merckx era, then we can say the same about this era.

This era is basically 3/4 riders above everybody, and the rest is farmers.

What is the name of the guys Pogacar beat in strade bianche, Giro? I'm not going to talk of the Tour because the competition he faced was injuried competition, even if it was better than the competition he faced in the previous races.

There is 3/4 guys that win every race, especially Pogacar who won a lot this year, and then there is a bunch of farmers who always lose against those guys.
It's not about the difference between the good and the not so good. It's about the fact that many years ago many riders didn't approach everything in such a professional way as they do now. It's happened in all sports.

Cycling didn't just randomly appear in the '90s. Through the post war period up to the '80 teams where not so important. Altough some really strong teams existed, like KAS or Van Looy's Faema, they never had the strongholds of todays team. Like almost 75% of this year world tour races (so far) have been won by 4 teams, and that's not inclunding Trek and Ineos. And not only they dominate the result sheet, they also dominate the race development.
Ok, but if you have lack of professionalism on one hand and super teams on the other, both limiting the level of competition (though I still don’t agree about the latter) - what would you say was the sweetspot? Historically speaking, what was the most competitive era in cycling?

Back when Pogacar won the 2020 TdF UAE weren't very strong. In fact, that year Jumbo Visma were the dominant team for grand tour racing at least. Pog won that Tour despite his team not because of it.

It is only since last year that UAE truly took a quantum leap to be head and shoulders above everyone. Call it oil money or whatever but it is what it is.

No doubt it was Merckx's battles with Raymond Poulidor that brings up the "racing against farmers" comment. They were still elite athletes and only suffer by comparison to today due to modern sports science progression since the 70s.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and xo 1
Ok, but if you have lack of professionalism on one hand and super teams on the other, both limiting the level of competition (though I still don’t agree about the latter) - what would you say was the sweetspot? Historically speaking, what was the most competitive era in cycling?
I would say from the mid 1990 to OP, excluding the TdF. I have a friend who calls the doping of that period 'democratic'.
Anyway i don't know why lack of professionalism (and i also have some grudges about using this word, like not having a power meter is not a lack commitent, it's short coming of pre solid state electronics) would limit the competition. It surely limit the average performance of the peloton, but it's not like some people where insanely more professional than others.

I would say from the mid 1990 to OP, excluding the TdF. I have a friend who calls the doping of that period 'democratic'.
Anyway i don't know why lack of professionalism (and i also have some grudges about using this word, like not having a power meter is not a lack commitent, it's short coming of pre solid state electronics) would limit the competition. It surely limit the average performance of the peloton, but it's not like some people where insanely more professional than others.
It’s exactly like that in my opinion. When a sport is transitioning to more professional approach, there is a period where you have guys who have already committed entirely to sport while some of them still keep taking it easy. Take F1 for example. You had a period where some guys took things very seriously and had entire gym programme figured out already (Senna) while others still smoked cigarettes (Rosberg). That kind of environment is without a doubt less competitive than the one where everyone is at the gym 6 hours/day, caring about details like nutrition etc. Entire sport evolves and it’s taking more and more effort to succeed relatively to what it took years ago. It’s not that you can use the latest tools to achieve comparative advantage - you have to use them not to stay behind. Everything needs to fall into place, including having the right team.

I think the sport has never been more competitive than it is now, certainly not in the Merckx era. I would never be as insulting to call those guys farmers, though…

Yeah, the teams are way more professional now, but it's a shame they all looked like amateurs this year against Emirates.
Over the 5 years Pogacar competed for the TdF GC, Visma was by far the stronger team than UAE on a cumulative basis (in 2023 UAE caught up and they were roughly on par the first time, in 2024 they obviously were the strongest although against a Visma B-team). In fact, Pogacar's first two wins were like racing for Total Energy or Cofidis. He literally had zero support.

2019:
1. Pogacar
40. Polanc
72. De La Cruz

2020:
1. Pogacar
34. Majka
44. Formolo

Over the 5 years Pogacar competed for the TdF GC, Visma was by far the stronger team than UAE on a cumulative basis (in 2023 UAE caught up and they were roughly on par the first time, in 2024 they obviously were the strongest although against a Visma B-team). In fact, Pogacar's first two wins were like racing for Total Energy or Cofidis. He literally had zero support.

2019:
1. Pogacar
40. Polanc
72. De La Cruz

2020:
1. Pogacar
34. Majka
44. Formolo
Totally agree. Except I think you got the years mixed up? It was 2020 and 2021.

Reactions: xo 1
It’s exactly like that in my opinion. When a sport is transitioning to more professional approach, there is a period where you have guys who have already committed entirely to sport while some of them still keep taking it easy. Take F1 for example. You had a period where some guys took things very seriously and had entire gym programme figured out already (Senna) while others still smoked cigarettes (Rosberg). That kind of environment is without a doubt less competitive than the one where everyone is at the gym 6 hours/day, caring about details like nutrition etc. Entire sport evolves and it’s taking more and more effort to succeed relatively to what it took years ago. It’s not that you can use the latest tools to achieve comparative advantage - you have to use them not to stay behind. Everything needs to fall into place, including having the right team.

I think the sport has never been more competitive than it is now, certainly not in the Merckx era. I would never be as insulting to call those guys farmers, though…
I don't generally disagree, but when Merckx rolled around many competition were verging on being 60 years old. The were already waves of ''professionalization'' before. If you look at some documentaries you can see that they were paying attention to thing like diet, rest and their bikes. Now, of course, i'm not denying progress, they surely had a more limited knowledge of phisiology than what we have today and more limited resources (i mean they stopped at bar to get water and soda bottles) but in general they were far from amateurs, that was more in the pre WW-I and maybe WW-II era. Cycling was seen as a profession and a good paying one to my knowledge.
And also, some game changing innovations can skew the balance no matter how professional teams are. The italian renaissance in the early '90s, Sky rise in 2012 where all dictated by methodological advancement. Same goes whith formula 1, Colin Chapman introducing ground effect speaks more of his genius than to others lack of professionalism

I'm curious to see Hirschi against Pogacar. I think he will be a bigger threat than Remco specially after his fantastic summer shape and he will race at home.
Not sure about Hirschi. Except from San Sebastian, he has been a no show in the real big classics and scenarios.

He looks like Pogacar in .1 fields and like Simone Petilli (no offence there) in Monuments and huge scenarios.

Unsure if its something about the distance / endurance (similar to Ulissi, who could not handle more than 200 kms) or more of a mental thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
You may be back but it’s not the same. It’s clear to anyone that you lost your mojo. Even your avatar wears black now. It’s gotten to the point where I hope Jonas will be able to hold Pog’s wheel at least one last time just to give you a bit of hope…
I'm going to see Quebec race, just to see Mollema beating Pogacar in a sprint. It will make me feel better 😄

Not sure about Hirschi. Except from San Sebastian, he has been a no show in the real big classics and scenarios.

He looks like Pogacar in .1 fields and like Simone Petilli (no offence there) in Monuments and huge scenarios.

Unsure if its something about the distance / endurance (similar to Ulissi, who could not handle more than 200 kms) or more of a mental thing.
I think Hirschi can be good in big classics but I have a feeling he doesn't perform well sometimes because he has to support Pogacar.

I think Hirschi can be good in big classics but I have a feeling he doesn't perform well sometimes because he has to support Pogacar.
Which he is honestly very bad at. Total non-factor in Strade, getting dropped on Mele/Cervo in Milan San Remo while being supposed to be one of the longest lasting domestiques. And I honestly can't remember it was better in other years than this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan