• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

4FDhg2h.png

Well there was no thread so I made one. This kid has a bright future ahead of him.

gMKwODH.png

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/tadej-pogacar

Sealed the overall win at Tour de l'Avenir today by almost 1 and a half minutes, a dominant performance. And came 4th in Tour of Slovenia this year, but only beaten by Roglič, Uran and Mogorič. And in the final timetrial he was actually only second to Roglič. Great performance there as well.

SUuAUks.png

And of course he signed for UAE for 2 years starting next year. I hope it's the right team for him, they're no exactly renowned for building up young talent. He and Roglič could be making a killer team in Lotto Jumbo. :)

Reactions: JohnMartin
I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the fact that he's only 19.
Seriously, when his name first started appearing in the race reports and updates from l'Avenir my first reaction was; "Haven't we been hearing about this guy for years?"
I suppose there are two possible explanations:
1: We actually have. That's the advantage of international media; you get to hear about upcoming stars from multiple countries.
2: Other people may have, but I actually only heard about him during Tour of Croatia. It's just that my brain's ability to process passage of time is a bit, off...

Re:

RedheadDane said:
I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the fact that he's only 19.
Seriously, when his name first started appearing in the race reports and updates from l'Avenir my first reaction was; "Haven't we been hearing about this guy for years?"
I suppose there are two possible explanations:
1: We actually have. That's the advantage of international media; you get to hear about upcoming stars from multiple countries.
2: Other people may have, but I actually only heard about him during Tour of Croatia. It's just that my brain's ability to process passage of time is a bit, off...
Well, he does turn 20 in a few weeks (1998). He's more than a year older than Arensman for instance.

Arensman I know for sure I'd never heard about before l'Avenir.
Besides, even if a rider is almost 20, it still doesn't make a lot of sense if your brain tries to claim that you've been hearing about him for years.

(Then again, just the other day my brain tried to make me believe that Mohoric is 27...)

Lequack said:
fauniera said:
Yep. You can also listen to Tadej pronouncing his own name at the beginning of this video.

Great rider obviously. I have high hopes for him.

Yeah I just hope UAE can develop his talents, I'd hate to see him dom for Fabio Aru's top 10 places or something like that.
Mohoric finally reached his top level only after he left UAE. Who knows if it was inevitable delay after being signed at very young age, or it was due to bad coaching at Cannondale and Lampre/UAE...

Lequack said:
fauniera said:
Yep. You can also listen to Tadej pronouncing his own name at the beginning of this video.

Great rider obviously. I have high hopes for him.

Yeah I just hope UAE can develop his talents, I'd hate to see him dom for Fabio Aru's top 10 places or something like that.

I am glad they didn't order him to drop back to Aru today, and he rewarded the team with the win.