• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They could provide him a lot of support, Polanc, de la Cruz, Dombrowski, Formolo and Conti for example. The problem is the fact that Gaviria's sprint train will also be on the Tour team.
Interesting, if some of those riders kick on or rediscover their form as applicable then that is a potentially a very strong support group especially in medium mountain stages that are often tricky to control.

Not a team to defend a jersey like Ineos or Jumbo-Visma could but certainly well suited to launching Pogacar up the road with support along the way.

Even with Sky he started with a leadership role at the Vuelta. Personally I find way more incredible that Aru will be the leader in France with Pogacar supposed to support him, I'm still laughing for Pogacar interview where he says he wants to help Aru to take the yellow jersey.
Yeah, Aru himself has said that Pogi will also be a leader at the Tour, the team and Pogi himself just try to keep a low profile (easier said than done).

Apparently he said something about the Olympic Road Race possibly being too hard for Evenepoel. It's a quote from an interview with a Belgian newspaper, but the article is behind a paywall. Anybody read this or know what he said? It's quite possible he's got a good point (i haven't really taken too close a look at the course) or that the statement is taken out of context in order to get clicks and subscriptions. Nevertheless, i'm curious what the full context was.

Edit: i was able to get a try out subscription and read the full article. The full context was that he assumes Evenepoel will focus on the ITT and not so much the RR.
From the article it seems he's not really fond of interviews or journalists. That he's rather introverted, cool and collected. Success hasn't changed him (dixit Piper). He was impressed with Evenepoel in San Sebastian (every Belgian journalist is hardwired to ask about Belgian rivals/collegues). He will move to Monaco soon, it's freezing now in Slovenia. And wasn't impressed with Ineos' 300+ km training ride, because nobody ever rides for 8 hours anyway.

Last edited:
Lefevere claims: Pogacar and Philipsen should be riding with us [in Dutch] :

Translated by a reddit user:
"He's talking about Joxean Matxin, who was DQS's talent scout for 2 years. He's saying they paid him to travel the world to find new talents for two years, and then Matxin announced he wanted to leave the role to become a DS. Lefevre says he was nice enough to let him go for free (I guess he's hinting that he could have made him buy out his contract), and then he stabbed them in the back by taking along some of the talents he found while on DQS' payroll to UEA.

He's also angry at Thomas de Gendt - he says he gave him a chance after his Vacansoleil adventure. He said that without Lefevre, De Gendt wouldn't be in the World Tour. And De Gendt never even thanked him for this.

The article just takes some highlights from a longer interview in Bahamontes - I can only read the first few paragraphs without a subscription, but Lefevre is also angry at people serving wine at the wrong temperature, the ASO in general, but also for not being biased towards the French enough to let Alaphillipe keep the yellow jersey after the cancelled stage to Tignes, and not letting him go of the yellow jersey press responsibilities after each stage, the Giro for not cancelling the stage where Quintana took the pink jersey from Uran, races with gravel sections, races with steep climbs, races not sticking to the extreme weather protocol, and strandjanetten."

Lefevere claims: Pogacar and Philipsen should be riding with us [in Dutch] :

Translated by a reddit user:
"He's talking about Joxean Matxin, who was DQS's talent scout for 2 years. He's saying they paid him to travel the world to find new talents for two years, and then Matxin announced he wanted to leave the role to become a DS. Lefevre says he was nice enough to let him go for free (I guess he's hinting that he could have made him buy out his contract), and then he stabbed them in the back by taking along some of the talents he found while on DQS' payroll to UEA.

He's also angry at Thomas de Gendt - he says he gave him a chance after his Vacansoleil adventure. He said that without Lefevre, De Gendt wouldn't be in the World Tour. And De Gendt never even thanked him for this.

The article just takes some highlights from a longer interview in Bahamontes - I can only read the first few paragraphs without a subscription, but Lefevre is also angry at people serving wine at the wrong temperature, the ASO in general, but also for not being biased towards the French enough to let Alaphillipe keep the yellow jersey after the cancelled stage to Tignes, and not letting him go of the yellow jersey press responsibilities after each stage, the Giro for not cancelling the stage where Quintana took the pink jersey from Uran, races with gravel sections, races with steep climbs, races not sticking to the extreme weather protocol, and strandjanetten."

My God. What an absolute tool.

I disagree with everything apart from the Giro thing. That should not have happened.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't know the specifics regarding the Matxin deal. When or where Pog and Jasper where scouted or when exactly they signed for UAE. So maybe Pat has a point there, though it's not exactly like both came out of nowhere before they signed with UAE. You'd have to be basically blind not to have known about them. But fair enough, i can understand his disappointment, feeling backstabbed. Whether this is what really happened is anyone's guess.

The part about De Gendt is a straight up ROFL worthy. He's probably mad because De Gendt is the odd one out, who achieved more at Lotto than at Quick.Step. But you'd have to be blind not to see De Gendt deserves to be in WT.

But it reads more like the mumblings of an senile senior citizen.

297.png

LMAO at pretty much everything Lefevre is saying. There is a correct temperature to sever wine at? Thought it was just served refrigerated.

For the article about Pogacar. As I suspect the majority of cyclists are introverts, I would guess many aren't fond of doing interviews and those who are stars just get used to doing them because they need to. I won't be surprised if he never likes doing interviews, but eventually becomes comfortable with them. Also like him even more for his comments about Ineos' 8 hr training rides.

For the article about Pogacar. As I suspect the majority of cyclists are introverts, I would guess many aren't fond of doing interviews and those who are stars just get used to doing them because they need to.

I read an article about Roglic in the latest ProCycling magazine.

When they interviewed him at the team's get-together, he was apparently much more funny than when there is a camera on him where he really is the driest interviewee of all, and what I found especially funny was his answer to the question "What would you like to do if you had a free day to yourself?":

"More interviews, more photoshoots, " was his answer.

I didn't know he had it in him :D

Don't know if this has been posted.

Last edited:
Doesn't mean much ofcourse. Mas is still young and could still improve dramatically (or become more consistent), and on the other hand we can't predict how Pogacar will evolve.
That said i don't know who said he would be another Mas (as a negative criticism).
Last year some forumers predicted that Pogacar would have a relatively weak season, similar to Mas after his impressive Vuelta. The Pogacar / Mas comparison was made for sure, but I understand that my post may come off as ridiculous without the proper context. Bad idea, I guess.

Last year some forumers predicted that Pogacar would have a relatively weak season, similar to Mas after his impressive Vuelta. The Pogacar / Mas comparison was made for sure, but I understand that my post may come off as ridiculous without the proper context. Bad idea, I guess.
I assumed something like that happened, but i had not seen it myself. No problem.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS