• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He took 40 seconds back on guys like Roglic, Bernal, and Quintana. I realize someone from that group might have tried to follow . . . but I'm not sure they had the legs. If true, Poga might have a chance to do not too bad on GC. (I don't want to come out and say it . . . with the jinx effect.)
Roglic sat on everyone for him. Dumolin was dropped so let other folks do the work and, hopefully; Dumo would regain some contact. You could tell Roglic didn't want the jersey and he did want Tadej to be a player in the race. Quintana as well who knew Primoz would mark every move from him. Smart for both of them.

Looks like the TikTok meeting was fruitful.

More or less the ideal scenario for Pogačar happened today. JV doing their thing, Pogačar being able to cope. Once favorites where left alone, Pogačar attacks, Roglič lets other do the work, doesn't respond. Pogačar being able to deliver and gaining back half of the time lost yesterday. Still long way to go, regarding podium position, but i guess possible if Pogačar will be able to cope with favorites till the rest day (tomorrow on stage 9).

P.S. Said that, today's ride for sure added a bit, when it comes to accumulated fatigue.

Interesting article about Pogacar's performance yesterday:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/feature...rd-breaking-ascent-of-the-col-de-peyresourde/

Tadej did Peyresourde (9.7 km at 7.8%, 756 vertical meters) in 24 minutes and 35 seconds beating the previous record (Mayo and Vinokourov) by 45 seconds. This gives a VAM of almost 1850 m/h. Very impressive number considering that the climb wasn't extremely steep. Obviously his wattage was great as well: his average for the whole climb was 429 W (6.5 W/kg), for the second part of the climb (over 10 minutes) it was 447 W (6.8 W/kg) with the peak of 880 W (13.3 W/kg). Performance of hors categorie.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Marek and Carols
Laughs in 2006 Ivan Basso.

Basso 2006 at the Giro was a beast but If we speak about other races (not only Tour) then there would be more candidates (esp. on steeper climbs of Vuelta). However, it's harder to compare VAM for climbs of different average gradients (watts per kilogram is more useful then). Santiago Perez had a ridiculous 16-minute effort on the second part of Navarcerrada (6.5 km at 8.6%) at the end of Vuelta 2004: 2067 m/h! The guy simply killed Roberto Heras, who himself was in a very good form. I think this is the biggest climb speed I've ever seen for a climb of over 500 vertical meters: https://www.53x12.com/vuelta-2004

Reactions: Forever The Best
Basso 2006 at the Giro was a beast but If we speak about other races (not only Tour) then there would be more candidates (esp. on steeper climbs of Vuelta). However, it's harder to compare VAM for climbs of different average gradients (watts per kilogram is more useful then). Santiago Perez had a ridiculous 16-minute effort on the second part of Navarcerrada (6.5 km at 8.6%) at the end of Vuelta 2004: 2067 m/h! The guy simply killed Roberto Heras, who himself was in a very good form. I think this is the biggest climb speed I've ever seen for a climb of over 500 vertical meters: https://www.53x12.com/vuelta-2004
Is attack made Ricco look like a diesel climber, totally insane.

Great win today, young man is full of panache :)

EhQDvzrWkAA7cE0

EhQDvzoXYAA94Uk

Ivailo Gabrovski 2012 enters the conversation.

Great win for Pogacar today, although I was rooting for Hirschi (I guess we all were). This kid's got panache for sure.

I would have rooted even more for Hirschi if he truely looked like a youngster. All these kids with beards are disturbing me. At least Pogacar looks like early 20s...
(Then I can look at them as "kids" and that makes my heart melt. If they are grown-up men I don't want to cuddle and adopt them.)

I would have rooted even more for Hirschi if he truely looked like a youngster. All these kids with beards are disturbing me. At least Pogacar looks like early 20s...
(Then I can look at them as "kids" and that makes my heart melt. If they are grown-up men I don't want to cuddle and adopt them.)
Haha, I see where you're coming from. Quinn Simons has more facial hair than I will ever get :D

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS