• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tbh I think Van Aert might have value as secondary GT contender/tactical card if they really wanna abuse Poggers weaker team. Otherwise Poggers can still just babysit Roglic and go mano a mano in the end.
I have always believed in van Aert's longterm GC abilities, but in order to be a valid GT/TDF card to upset the competition, he would need go hardcore, and drop enough weight, to bring him close to or around 70kg. Dumoulin won the Giro at 71kg, but he lost the TDF to Froome at 69kg. I think Wout has a bit more power under the hood than Tom, but he's also a bit taller and still above that weight. Of course, as long as he is close enough in GC they can use him to bluff, he doesn't have to be up there for 21 days to force a move by the competition. Let's say he's still at or around Pogacar's time halfway week 2, if he goes on the attack, UAE/Pog can't afford to let him go, even if at TJV they know he will never make the end of the 3rd week without imploding.

I have always believed in van Aert's longterm GC abilities, but in order to be a valid GT/TDF card to upset the competition, he would need go hardcore, and drop enough weight, to bring him close to or around 70kg. Dumoulin won the Giro at 71kg, but he lost the TDF to Froome at 69kg. I think Wout has a bit more power under the hood than Tom, but he's also a bit taller and still above that weight. Of course, as long as he is close enough in GC they can use him to bluff, he doesn't have to be up there for 21 days to force a move by the competition. Let's say he's still at or around Pogacar's time halfway week 2, if he goes on the attack, UAE/Pog can't afford to let him go, even if at TJV they know he will never make the end of the 3rd week without imploding.
Needs to climb even better than in Tirreno, but yes. It seems pretty likely though that it can be a pretty straightforward watts festival between Pog and Rog with the former being the favorite. But I deffo think Van Aert should be favored over Kruijswijk as a GC card, and if something like echelons fall right he could come into contention. Don't anticipate he'll get a better Tour route to try

Reactions: Sandisfan

Good read. Tadej basically admitted that he was riding for McNulty until Krabelin:

Our plan, where Brandon would follow the main contenders and I would cover any attacks, fell apart like a house of cards.

Only afterwards change of tactics was applied:

Unfortunately, Brandon could no longer keep up with my pace in this steep part of the slope, so after contacting “our car” I was instructed to continue on my own and try to join the first group.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Good read. Tadej basically admitted that he was riding for McNulty until Krabelin:

Only afterwards change of tactics was applied:

Great English. "Introductory chronometer". Brandon proved that he was not only a "timekeeper".

Yes, RhD, that has to be worse than calling it a time traveller :mad:

Is this being auto-translated from Slovenian? It seems very stiff.

Edit: I am slightly disappointed that Vingegaard is only Primoz' assistant and not his husband.

Vingegaard kept up nicely with Pogacar in the last stage of Itzulia, which van Aert couldn't do in Tirreno. There might have been a difference in exhaustion levels of Pogacar, sure, but it is still worth noting.

I don't expect that van Aert can do much better than the 20th place that he got last time. And if the teams know that he isn't a threat, they won't be chasing him. It's a shame for TJV not to have a moderately strong 2nd GC rider (which Dumoulin was, in theory at least). Sort of the opposite problem of Ineos.

Vingegaard kept up nicely with Pogacar in the last stage of Itzulia, which van Aert couldn't do in Tirreno. There might have been a difference in exhaustion levels of Pogacar, sure, but it is still worth noting.

I don't expect that van Aert can do much better than the 20th place that he got last time. And if the teams know that he isn't a threat, they won't be chasing him. It's a shame for TJV not to have a moderately strong 2nd GC rider (which Dumoulin was, in theory at least). Sort of the opposite problem of Ineos.
I hardly think this is an indication that Vingegaard is a bigger threat than van Aert, or might be able to keep up with Pogacar over 3 weeks.

First of all, none of the climbs in Itzulia were of such length or height. So far we don't know what Vingegaard can do in 3 weeks. Van Aert has shown to be highly consistent on the other hand.

Last year van Aert had to work all day, do sprints in between, was not on GC contender weight and the course featured less TT kms. I think it's rather naive to think he maxed out last year as a GC contender. Give him a protected role (let him save his energy), keep him out of bunch sprints, work specifically towards GC, and i'm 100% convinced he can do a lot better, especially on this year's route.

I hardly think this is an indication that Vingegaard is a bigger threat than van Aert, or might be able to keep up with Pogacar over 3 weeks.

First of all, none of the climbs in Itzulia were of such length or height. So far we don't know what Vingegaard can do in 3 weeks. Van Aert has shown to be highly consistent on the other hand.

Last year van Aert had to work all day, do sprints in between, was not on GC contender weight and the course featured less TT kms. I think it's rather naive to think he maxed out last year as a GC contender. Give him a protected role (let him save his energy), keep him out of bunch sprints, work specifically towards GC, and i'm 100% convinced he can do a lot better, especially on this year's route.

Not doing the sprints, not pulling, etc. A great recipe for TJV for ending up unnecessarily weakened and perhaps with nothing to show at the end of the tour. The impressiveness of van Aert on parts of climbs (as a non-climber) was obviously due to him being allowed as a domestique to completely disappear on the other parts (finishing 20+ minutes behind the winner/team leader). But indeed there's many differences between the different roles, so who knows.

You're right about not overestimating Vingegaard, and him needing more experience for a more substantial role. He did okayish, and definitely not great, in Vuelta last year (arguably worse than Wout in France). Both of them will be good domestiques.

Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
He just uploaded a six hour rage ride on Strava on the LBL route so I assume they will get to start.
yeah he was clearly very annoyed in his stories on insta. I hope het gets to start as there is nothing better than an angry Pogi wanting to show people he is still around:cool:

First Basque country and now missing Fleche, he wants blood.

I now understand his mother saying that they are always happy he wins because they know how it is for him when he does not reach his goal/win :blush:

Is he on trajectory to one of the best seasons in recent times? So far winning UAE Tour, Tireno-Adriatico, now LBL. With no crashes (or wrongly timed mechanical) in TDF, I just can't see him lose it. Then OI and Vuelta. He has proven to have impecable recovery and will be there at Vuelta (take last year Roglics win, so it's possible).

I know I am overreaching, but still. Unbelievable and at that age.

Is he on trajectory to one of the best seasons in recent times? So far winning UAE Tour, Tireno-Adriatico, now LBL. With no crashes (or wrongly timed mechanical) in TDF, I just can't see him lose it. Then OI and Vuelta. He has proven to have impecable recovery and will be there at Vuelta (take last year Roglics win, so it's possible).

I know I am overreaching, but still. Unbelievable and at that age.

The way that he is riding right now he has to be the favourite for the Olympic road race. And he will likely win either the Tour or Vuelta as well, although in 21 days of racing lot of things can happen.

TRENDING THREADS