• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 550 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We’ve already seen at Liege that he isn’t rusty so he might choose not to go hard, but he definitely can go hard

He is in excellent form, smashing Redoute against headwind and easily building large gap afterwards. Crushing rivals in the first 8 days will actually make it less stresful later. Other teams will be forced to chase dangerous guys earlier than UAE and they could let some potentially dangerous riders go instead of chasing everyone (so Pog doesnt have tk go to much into red on some weaker day). Also in this case Pog may not need any big effort in the second part of the race which is good for the Tour

Reactions: Sandisfan
Seems like the weakest team Teddy has lined up with in a loooooooonng time.
Laengen, Bjerg, Grosschartner and Majka has ridden with Pog quite a lot. All has great experience in GTs.

Novak seems to have upped his level this year. He has been very good in every race so far.

Oliveira is a work-horse.

Molano is tbf a pretty versatile sprinter and can get over some smaller/medium climbs. Won a stage in both 2022 and 2023 in the Vuelta. Would perhaps be harsh to not send him to any GT, if there is a different plan for the Vuelta this year, so Giro made the most sense for him.

Last edited:
He is in excellent form, smashing Redoute against headwind and easily building large gap afterwards. Crushing rivals in the first 8 days will actually make it less stresful later. Other teams will be forced to chase dangerous guys earlier than UAE and they could let some potentially dangerous riders go instead of chasing everyone (so Pog doesnt have tk go to much into red on some weaker day). Also in this case Pog may not need any big effort in the second part of the race which is good for the Tour
Yeah a lot of things could happen

Molano is tbf a pretty versatile sprinter and can get over some smaller/medium climbs. Won a stage in both 2022 and 2023 in the Vuelta. Would perhaps be harsh to not send him to any GT, if there is a different plan for the Vuelta this year, so Giro made the most sense for him.

I don't think it make sense bringing Molano.
But I agree, he's versatile and not afraid of working for the team.

I think they could bring another mountain helper. Fisher Black, Del Toro, McNulty. One of these guys would be important in the high mountains. Del Toro could ride without pressure and just needed to be strong in the last week. A perfect time and way to ride his first GT. The other two, I think they won't do any GT this year, why not the Giro?

I think they could bring another mountain helper. Fisher Black, Del Toro, McNulty. One of these guys would be important in the high mountains. Del Toro could ride without pressure and just needed to be strong in the last week. A perfect time and way to ride his first GT. The other two, I think they won't do any GT this year, why not the Giro?
Vine was planned to go before his crash.

McNulty has had a long spring, as he isn't down for any GT. So I don't think they could pivot to have him replace Vine.

While only Majka can remain in a ~10 rider group, I think Novak, Grossschartner and Bjerg will all be solid (on the mostly mid climbs of this Giro) and provide enough width to rotate their workload. Pogi will likely only be left with just Majka before the last climb on Grappa.

Vine was planned to go before his crash.

McNulty has had a long spring, as he isn't down for any GT. So I don't think they could pivot to have him replace Vine.

While only Majka can remain in a ~10 rider group, I think Novak, Grossschartner and Bjerg will all be solid (on the mostly mid climbs of this Giro) and provide enough width to rotate their workload. Pogi will likely only be left with just Majka before the last climb on Grappa.
I'm not intrigued about Grappa. Pogacar won't need help there. For me stage 15 it is very important. Probably, he won't have a enormous advantage to the second place and if he is alone in Mortirolo, he is in trouble if everyone rides against him (probably won't happen) in the valley after Mortirolo.

To be honest, I think building a gap early is the better strategy.
If he drops everyone on the first 2 stages, building 1-2 minutes advantage allows him to sit in the later stages, which I think is more important for his recovery.
I think the only problem with that—in the context of saving energy—is having pink jersey means interviews and podium ceremonies for 3weeks straight and a little less rest. That won’t keep him from winning the Giro, so perhaps it doesn’t matter.

• Haha