• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tailor Phinney wins Olympia's tour 2010

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
cool. he beat coen somethin' somethin' and jesse somethin' somethin' in the olympia somethin' somethin'?

he's the next eddy somethin' somethin'!:rolleyes:

sorry. i know. taylor's great.

hamp. thanks for the link. some cool pics. but i gotta wonder about the outfit on the podium girl on the left.

olympia's tour is one of the biggest dutch races for espoirs and amateurs. But apart from strong dutch young riders and amateurs, the field is not very strong, even at u23 level. I expected Phinney to win with the prologue and TT being the deciding stages.
He can also win sprints (which he did twice) and thus had an easy ride.
The queen stage wasn't a queen stage because the organisation put a flat part of 25km after the hills.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
cool. he beat coen somethin' somethin' and jesse somethin' somethin' in the olympia somethin' somethin'?

he's the next eddy somethin' somethin'!:rolleyes:

sorry. i know. taylor's great.

hamp. thanks for the link. some cool pics. but i gotta wonder about the outfit on the podium girl on the left.

fun its a matter of taste.. but i think we have the same opinion

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
He is clearly talented. I wonder also if he can climb. They seem to be protecting him and hand picking his progression into the Pro ranks. that could be a blessing or a curse.

Is he as talented as Peter Sagan?

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
He is clearly talented. I wonder also if he can climb. They seem to be protecting him and hand picking his progression into the Pro ranks. that could be a blessing or a curse.

I think he is, will be interesting to see if they move him up into the RS team next year, hopfully along with Jesse Sergent who is also a real talent though only an average climber at this stage.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Yah but what about Jesse Sergent?? dude is awesome, but is being overlooked by cycling fangs since he's in the shadow of Phinney.

I hope all these young kids coming up in the ranks have people standing by to tell them "you are awesome but please don't dope or everyone will hate you and you'll turn out like Landis." I hope they are told this on a daily basis by lots of nagging mom types, and by the people on the podium.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
Yes, he's a great talent in time trials. I wonder if he can climb.

Little hills?

Maybe.

Mountains?

Doubtful.

I think he can become a TT/Northern Classics type rider and have some success... perhaps somewhat like George Hincapie with less ability on the mountains (or perhaps more like George on the mountains without medical assistance).

Or perhaps EBH without the sprint.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:

I'd say probably less sprint and climbing legs then Sagan, but maybe better TT and riding on the flats.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Is he expected to be going back to the track for the 2012 Olympics, or is he sticking road full time from here on out?

My guess is he'll try the Omnium in 2012 then stop on the track. He'd certainly have tried if the Individual pursuit was in it. He did okay at the worlds, placing 3rd, but needs some work on the points and scratch portions of the event.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Little hills?

Maybe.

Mountains?

Doubtful.

I think he can become a TT/Northern Classics type rider and have some success... perhaps somewhat like George Hincapie with less ability on the mountains (or perhaps more like George on the mountains without medical assistance).

Or perhaps EBH without the sprint.

Lets get a little perspective here. The guy is still a teenager. His results so far are excellent for where he is in his development. He has the potential (and at this stage thats what is is..potential) to become a great rider. I for one will watch with interest over the next few years.

To say he can't climb mountains or he can't do this or that is just ridiculous because he is nowhere near reaching his potential.

A

Anonymous

santacruz said:
I hope all these young kids coming up in the ranks have people standing by to tell them "you are awesome but please don't dope or everyone will hate you and you'll turn out like Landis." I hope they are told this on a daily basis by lots of nagging mom types, and by the people on the podium.

Im not sure Taylors mom is the nagging, dont dope type.. :confused:

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
Tryptique Monts et Châteaux contains some of the hardest Flemish climbs ...

Pretty little time gaps if that's the case.

Huge group at the same time on stage 1. 2A was a TT. 13 seconds between 1st and 71st on 2B. 28 riders on the same time on stage 3.

That hardly seems like results you'd expect from courses with tough climbs.

Phinney's body type doesn't seem suited for mountains. Who knows, he might turn into a stick-figure and become another Wiggins... but he's got the build (and right now the palmares) of a northern classics/TT guy... who might develop into a sprinter.

It's annoying how everyone wants to peg every young talent as a future GC guy. Some guys are just meant to be sprinters, power through the low hills or ride the pave.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Im not sure Taylors mom is the nagging, dont dope type.. :confused:

It's hard to say. The time that Taylor's parents were cyclists was when it's possible they could have gone either way in terms of doping. I feel certain they both saw enough to understand what goes on in cycling... but that could mean they are accepting of Taylor doing that... or hugely against it.

kurtinsc said:
28 riders on the same time on stage 3.

That hardly seems like results you'd expect from courses with tough climbs.

And yet the Beau site Southwest is a killer, I can tell you (also called côte des Hauts). Much harder than the Muur, probably a bit less hard than the Koppenberg. A pave climb and on top it's still slightly uphill, so you can't recover until a few kilometers further away.

I miss it in the route of Dwars door België, shamefully recalled Dwars door Vlaanderen.

http://www.climbbybike.com/fr/ascen...t&qryMountainID=137&Startplaats=Saint-Sauveur

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
And yet the Beau site Southwest is a killer, I can tell you (also called côte des Hauts). Much harder than the Muur, probably a bit less hard than the Koppenberg. A pave climb and on top it's still slightly uphill, so you can't recover until a few kilometers further away.

I miss it in the route of Dwars door België, shamefully recalled Dwars door Vlaanderen.

http://www.climbbybike.com/fr/ascen...t&qryMountainID=137&Startplaats=Saint-Sauveur

It looks like a tough hill... but it's still small... a bit over a kilometer.

Boonen has the ability to get over short tough climbs... as do Spartacus and Gilbert.

None of them are mountain goats.

Phinney looks to have the potential to turn into one of those kinds of riders if things go well... but I can't see him becoming an Alberto Contador. He's got potential to spare... but I just don't see it as a GC guy.

TRENDING THREADS