• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taking the Pi** Pidcock

So, I don't see a clinic thread about the Pidder Piddleman. Not sure what folks might think here, but I think when we have another do it all wunderkind who can outsprint (or almost outsprint) the high wattage sprinters, but is super lightweight and climbs the same and shoots out of every corner, well, I think he deserves his own clinic thread too :)

I see another cycling feel good wonderstory with the return from broken collarbone to amazing instant results and perhaps even an Olympic medal?

In a vain attempt not to come across like others on Bambi….

He’s had a long list of impressive wins over more senior/professional riders since his junior days. Have you followed his career path?

I’d question your timing… why not after Brabantse Pijl which would’ve been more obvious?
Also, after what he did in the 2 World Cup MTB’s & the Swiss Bike Cup, why not envisage him podiuming in Tokyo

Reactions: Axel Hangleck

He’s had a long list of impressive wins over more senior/professional riders since his junior days. Have you followed his career path?

I’d question your timing… why not after Brabantse Pijl which would’ve been more obvious?
Also, after what he did in the 2 World Cup MTB’s & the Swiss Bike Cup, why not envisage him podiuming in Tokyo
I think I posted in another thread about the pidster, but perhaps my timing is off :p

Of course he looks on track for a medal. Especially upon coming back from a collarbone break like he did not ride for a couple of days due to vacation. It another feelzgood story for cycling - youngster, first year on the World Cup as an elite, breaks his collarbone and still wins the Olympics ...

Agree. He's been winning since he was a junior - he won a round of the Tour series against the pros as a junior, with junior gearing. This hasn't just happened. Some people need to watch junior/ other disciplines.....

Reactions: MartinGT
Agree. He's been winning since he was a junior - he won a round of the Tour series against the pros as a junior, with junior gearing. This hasn't just happened. Some people need to watch junior/ other disciplines.....
I'm aware of his palmares and I'm a fan of MTB and Cx. I nevertheless find his recent performances push suspension of disbelief. Not to the same degree as what's going on in the Tour right now, but still present.

Hes legit. I've watched him since he was a junior at Cx level and was super impressed early on when racing for a local shop.

His win in '16 at Clayton Velo Classic started getting others interested in him and he's been developing since.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Hes legit. I've watched him since he was a junior at Cx level and was super impressed early on when racing for a local shop.

His win in '16 at Clayton Velo Classic started getting others interested in him and he's been developing since.
Hey, I don't doubt he has talent. So do WvA and MvdP. But there are still performances that get ridiculous. Not sure if here is there yet. Perhaps not, but keep in mind that everyone at the very top is a super-talented outlier.

I have seen folks who just destroy local pros and elite racers ... they seem alien in comparison. But they get to the pro-tour and it's like they are just novices and cannot even maintain the wheels. Or they are good, but not close to great, and magnitudes away from alien. So quite honestly, how impressive someone is at a local level means nothing to me in terms of what they end up being like when they are at the pro level. When I see folks ride away like they are on rocket fuel, or combing super climbing/sprinting/time trialing, it makes my eyebrows raise. And I seem to end up being right in my assumptions many years later (unfortunately). Hopefully I am wrong about the newer generation, Pidcock, Pogacar, etc.

Anywho, he seems to have recovered from the collarbone fracture, which is good. Hopefully the Olympics is an exciting race, regardless of who wins.

Hey, I don't doubt he has talent. So do WvA and MvdP. But there are still performances that get ridiculous. Not sure if here is there yet. Perhaps not, but keep in mind that everyone at the very top is a super-talented outlier.

I have seen folks who just destroy local pros and elite racers ... they seem alien in comparison. But they get to the pro-tour and it's like they are just novices and cannot even maintain the wheels. Or they are good, but not close to great, and magnitudes away from alien. So quite honestly, how impressive someone is at a local level means nothing to me in terms of what they end up being like when they are at the pro level. When I see folks ride away like they are on rocket fuel, or combing super climbing/sprinting/time trialing, it makes my eyebrows raise. And I seem to end up being right in my assumptions many years later (unfortunately). Hopefully I am wrong about the newer generation, Pidcock, Pogacar, etc.

Anywho, he seems to have recovered from the collarbone fracture, which is good. Hopefully the Olympics is an exciting race, regardless of who wins.
He was a DNF in Les Gets, not sure why.

I get what you're saying. We only have to hear what LA has to say when he first got to Europe to understand that.

He has surprised me how quick he settled in. I thought opening weekend he would have been found wanting like other talented Brit riders like Cullaigh and Tanfield but no.

He was a DNF in Les Gets, not sure why.

I get what you're saying. We only have to hear what LA has to say when he first got to Europe to understand that.

He has surprised me how quick he settled in. I thought opening weekend he would have been found wanting like other talented Brit riders like Cullaigh and Tanfield but no.
It is that level of adaptation, if you can call adapting within hours adaptation, that has me pause. Even MvdP, who is sometimes ridiculous, took some seasons to rack up his first WC win. Not in his second race.

He did the two U23 World Cups in 2020; and his lap times were as good as the Elite racers. He then won the U23 World Championship in Leogang, and again setting quick lap times.
His next move was obviously to the Elites, and could he transfer the U23 speed to the Elites? Not all can - he had a warm up in the Swiss Cup, were he just rode away on the climbs.

So he was probably the fastest in Albstadt, but started too far back, but had no problem in NMNM, and won.

If you really want to question a rider, than maybe the female U23 World Champion - who has improved out of all recognition from 2019 to 2020/21; a far bigger jump than Pidcock.

Like I said, first season riding in the elite World Cup and he's obliterating people. So yeah, I find it fairly challenging to believe. I am well aware of his u23 results. Perhaps he was just gone ripping form, and everybody else is aiming to peak in a few weeks from now?

Are you referring to Lecomte? If you are, then yes, her performances are also quite astonishing and ridiculous looking. Not that she's winning, but that she's riding away from people like she's on a cruise, nose breathing while pulling out a minute gap very quickly. But hey, there's only so many posts and threads I can work on!

Edit: there's also his strange 5 km run posting from a number of months ago. Not doping, just weird!
Nowt wrong with run Ripper.. totally believable too :D

Just Brit+Ineos makes him worse than any other rider tbh
Err.. less of the Brit bashing please, contrary to MSM narrative, we’re not all cnuts sending racist tweets to Rashford and Hamilton :)

Reactions: Ripper
Pid isn't going to fit the donkey-to-racehorse transformation mold. He seems like a gritty and very talented guy from juniors onward. That's not an exoneration. I'm pretty sure he'll have more/future performances that enhance the number of pages for his Clinic thread. I think he still has some work to do to join the Thermonuclear Club.

Reactions: Ripper

TRENDING THREADS