• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Hello,

because there is no racing in these months, one of the most interesting things in cycling now is, that the grand tour riders are identifiying there goals for the next season in these days.

So I thought it´s a good idea to open a thread where we collect this information.

What we already know:

Nibali: Giro, Olympics, World Championship
Bardet: Giro, Olympics, Vuelta, World Championship

Especially interesting will be the announcements from Jumbo and Ineos in the upcoming days..

Reactions: Rollthedice
Yeah, that Buchmann, Pinot and Froome will target the tour is really more or less sure in my eyes, too. Although there is still the lack of an official statement about the next years targets from the team or the rider after the tour and giro route presentation.

In the case of Dumoulin I am not 100% sure yet. He said before the route presentation of the tour that he wants to target the tour and the Olympics. But after the tour presentation I only heard from Jumbo that they are not that happy about the tour course.. and Dumouin said last year before the presenation that he will only target the tour, too.

I looks like Lopéz is finally going for the Tour while Fuglsang is targeting the Giro because of the Olympics.

"Maybe it’s better to do the Giro and use the Tour to build up for the Olympics, or maybe skip the Tour completely," Fuglsang reasons. "There has been a bit of talk about Lopez doing the Tour, and that would leave the Giro for me, so that could be a good option.

"I’d like to do the spring Classics and the Giro, then take a break and build up to the Olympics. That would be my ideal scenario but it’s difficult – there are too many nice races."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/more-carbs-and-more-self-belief-fuel-fuglsangs-2019-success/

Reactions: Sandisfan
I would love to see Lopez at the tour, too. The course is good for him and he is a rider who animates a race.
Another interesting decicision will be, which Grand tour Simon Yates will target next year. Don´t know if his underperformance of this years giro had been only a spike or if he returns to his Grand Tour level of 2018.

It'll be interesting to see what UAE along with Aru and Pogacar do.
Pogi likes bad weather, so I'd give him a team that is filled with domestiques for the Giro.
Aru may be past his best, but the guy still finished 14th in the Tour after one month of serious training and a totally improvised preparation.
I'd send him to the Tour with limited support, alongside a sprint train for Fernando.

Reactions: Koronin
Pogi likes bad weather, so I'd give him a team that is filled with domestiques for the Giro.
Aru may be past his best, but the guy still finished 14th in the Tour after one month of serious training and a totally improvised preparation.
I'd send him to the Tour with limited support, alongside a sprint train for Fernando.
I think some UAE director said Pog was giong to the Giro weeks ago.

I would love to see Lopez at the tour, too. The course is good for him and he is a rider who animates a race.
Another interesting decicision will be, which Grand tour Simon Yates will target next year. Don´t know if his underperformance of this years giro had been only a spike or if he returns to his Grand Tour level of 2018.
It's quite possible that his Grand Tour level of 2018 was a spike.

TRENDING THREADS