Taylor Phinney to Team BMC

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
They had a very good classics team this year which failed and now they have an awesome team. name a better cobbled classics team in history if you include cancellara...


When BMC does this I'll grant you your statement. Don't forget they also had Ballerini in 5th a few minutes behind.
 
Mar 10, 2009
210
0
0
Bmc 20!!

I had high hopes for BMC at the beginning of the year but, as others have said, they were a bit underwhelming.

Let's hope Phinney has a chance to both develop as a contender AND earn his stripes by working for others.

His budding career will be interesting to follow - I just hope "they" let his legs do the talking and limit the hype that surrounds too many next-big-things.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
steelciocc said:
I had high hopes for BMC at the beginning of the year but, as others have said, they were a bit underwhelming.

Let's hope Phinney has a chance to both develop as a contender AND earn his stripes by working for others.

His budding career will be interesting to follow - I just hope "they" let his legs do the talking and limit the hype that surrounds too many next-big-things.
As excellent athletes and I imagine good parents
connie an Davis should keep mini-Phinney in check. On the other hand there are a lot of bad things out there to lead kids astray, for instance twitter...
 
Jul 10, 2009
311
0
0
I'm so amped for this move!

Shack was nothing but a vehicle for LA. It was all of his cronies, and I never thought it had an ounce of staying power. I was so bummed when Mini-Phinney went into it's pipeline, because I didn't think it was the right place to build a career.

BMC looks like a much better team to develop with. There are some good senior riders, and some up-and-comers. Also, the team has a better chance of sticking around after Hincapie and Evans move on.

steelciocc,

A. I get your name reference. Classic!
B. That's an awesome avatar. They totally got hosed.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
So everytime a neo-pro signs for a pro-continental team are we going to have a new thread?
 
theyoungest said:
Yeah, that really is a bit premature. His time trialing is second to none, but he's not even the biggest allround talent in the U23 ranks right now, let alone in the pro peloton. He'll be a very strong time trialist, that's for sure.
Well I guess that depends on how you look at it. Phinney is a really great track rider and has shown a lot of promise on the road also.

Who would you name as a bigger talent?
 
May 15, 2009
843
0
0
I know there are some disappointed fans that we didn't sign Taylor Phinney. I understand your disappointment, as Taylor certainly has shown that he has a very bright future ahead of him and will be an asset to any team. I met with Taylor in the Tour de l'Avenir to talk with him one-on-one. Out of respect to Taylor and his new team, BMC, I won't reveal the details of that discussion, but I will tell you this: Taylor had a very tough decision to make, and as much as I would have liked to have continued to be part of his development, I understand and respect his decision. I certainly wish him the best of luck and hope that he will continue to succeed. Simply put, his success is good for cycling!

Bruyneel
RS still has Ben King and Kwiatkowski, so their average age is still below 35?
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,318
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
The fail is strong Lance, you didn't even keep your boy in. :eek:
I suspect it has more to do with the aims and makeups of the teams. TRS, with the exception of Brajkovic, is comprised of old riders. As such, it is likely that Bruyneel would try to burden Phinney with high expectations. And, it is unclear if Phinney would have been allowed to continue his successful track career. Another thing, with an already strong Classic team, BMC would be unlikely to risk Taylor in any of the high-stress and dangerous spring races.

Read between the lines in these passages:
“I'm looking forward to getting into pro racing, riding the front and doing my duties while seeing if I can win some races... I don't want to be the high-maintenance neo-pro. That never works out well. If I get a good base and foundation and a lot of race days, the wins will come naturally[...]"
and
“BMC also makes fast bikes[.] I'm excited to see what they can make for me on the track."

In otherwords, continue to rack up track wins while learning the nuts and bolts of stage racing - learn the Pro-Peloton in a competitive but non-stressful way.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
benpounder said:
I suspect it has more to do with the aims and makeups of the teams. TRS, with the exception of Brajkovic, is comprised of old riders. As such, it is likely that Bruyneel would try to burden Phinney with high expectations. And, it is unclear if Phinney would have been allowed to continue his successful track career. Another thing, with an already strong Classic team, BMC would be unlikely to risk Taylor in any of the high-stress and dangerous spring races.

Read between the lines in these passages:
“I'm looking forward to getting into pro racing, riding the front and doing my duties while seeing if I can win some races... I don't want to be the high-maintenance neo-pro. That never works out well. If I get a good base and foundation and a lot of race days, the wins will come naturally[...]"
and
“BMC also makes fast bikes[.] I'm excited to see what they can make for me on the track."

In otherwords, continue to rack up track wins while learning the nuts and bolts of stage racing - learn the Pro-Peloton in a competitive but non-stressful way.
I am sure Taylor will ride the front of Roubaix next year and as planned drop out at around 110 miles. That will be Taylors race someday, just like Rodger DeVlaemic
 
Hugo Koblet said:
Well I guess that depends on how you look at it. Phinney is a really great track rider and has shown a lot of promise on the road also.

Who would you name as a bigger talent?
Carlos Alberto Betancur (GiroBio winner and last year 2nd worlds U23) and Nairo Quantana (dominated L'Avenir) for instance :D
 
Feb 18, 2010
882
0
0
TeamSkyFans said:
So everytime a neo-pro signs for a pro-continental team are we going to have a new thread?
No, only when they're hyped up Americans. It is the center of the universe, you know.
 
Apr 9, 2009
976
0
0
tgsgirl said:
No, only when they're hyped up Americans. It is the center of the universe, you know.
Or if they're World champion pursuiters after riding a bike for only four years.
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
flicker said:
As excellent athletes and I imagine good parents
connie an Davis should keep mini-Phinney in check. On the other hand there are a lot of bad things out there to lead kids astray, for instance twitter...
...yes and the twits behind them. Glad to see him leave RS in the rear view mirror. His comments about "no contact with Lance..." was a good add. Now he just has to ride out the revealations about some of his teammates and he'll be good to race clean.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Hugo Koblet said:
Well I guess that depends on how you look at it. Phinney is a really great track rider and has shown a lot of promise on the road also.

Who would you name as a bigger talent?
John Degenkolb and Michael Matthews spring to mind. And don't forget that Peter Sagan is the same age as Phinney.
 
It's always hard for these kids coming in to the pro peloton especially when there is this much hype.

We will see how he does...
This is always something to be worried about for indeed with great expectations comes great pressures and fast fans disappointment. However the kid is one of the few rare champions born from a marriage of two greats. I think that counts for something extra. don't you?
 
Oldman said:
...yes and the twits behind them. Glad to see him leave RS in the rear view mirror. His comments about "no contact with Lance..." was a good add. Now he just has to ride out the revealations about some of his teammates and he'll be good to race clean.
Or at least "clean". Interesting contrast between Lance refusing to speak to a 20 year old kid because he didn't sign with Lance's team and the story about Vino and Contador getting together for a street race even though Alberto has changed teams. Lance must be the most vindictive guy in the pro peloton. Could that have anything to do with the number of ex-Postal and Disco riders who have tested positive after they left?
 
Aug 19, 2009
612
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
Or at least "clean". Interesting contrast between Lance refusing to speak to a 20 year old kid because he didn't sign with Lance's team and the story about Vino and Contador getting together for a street race even though Alberto has changed teams. Lance must be the most vindictive guy in the pro peloton. Could that have anything to do with the number of ex-Postal and Disco riders who have tested positive after they left?
Once you're out from behind the star-backed shield, you're fair game for Strong-Armed Zeus' thunder bolts.



It's all there in the logo.
 
Mar 6, 2010
104
0
0
theyoungest said:
John Degenkolb and Michael Matthews spring to mind. And don't forget that Peter Sagan is the same age as Phinney.
This era's crop of U23s has been good. They'll give the 38+ year olds a reason to think twice about hanging around in their decrepitude in the pro peleton.
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
probably already mentioned by somebody herein and likely to be more interesting for Pharmstrong investigation threads, but it's quite interesting to learn that (to quote Phinney) "Lance had to leave half way because I think Senator Kerry was on the other line". So seems Lance still trying to use his high level network to influence or stop Novitzky...
 
Dec 12, 2009
111
0
8,680
tgsgirl said:
No, only when they're hyped up Americans. It is the center of the universe, you know.
Off topic I know, but is this forum your only outlet for hostility or do you have others? I do hope you have others.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY