• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taylor Phinney to Team BMC

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I'm going to laugh so hard if Phinney flops badly next year.

Well he is only in his early 20's so I don't see how he can flop badly? You would have to be pretty stupid to think he would be winning races all the time.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Serves Shack right. If RS really wants the guy one of their main recruiters just can't walk out to take a personal call... and I don't care if it's the Pres, King, Queen, Prince or hot-babe whatever.

Surely no senator called. A type like that will say stuff like that to save face and to punish the kid by trying to make him feel insignificant.

auscyclefan94 said:
Interesting comment on Johanbruyneel.com

Quote:
It wasn't for a lack of trying on Bruyneel's part. "I met with Taylor at the Tour de l'Avenir to talk with him one-on-one." What the two talked won't be making any headlines. "Out of respect to Taylor and his new team, BMC, I won't reveal the details of that discussion."
It seems to me that Bruyneel has said that BMC is not that secure either. JB does have a point but Radioshack is a lot more volatile.

Good insight. Agreed.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
LOL, for sure. Well this "type like that" feller is preparing for his next character-fitting career.... politics.

He, good luck with that. He won't last five minutes in political life. These people won't get intimidated just because you shout in their face. And his weaknesses are too obvious and too many. Unless he is going to be the sock puppet front figure who just have to repeat everything he hears in his earpiece...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I'm going to laugh so hard if Phinney flops badly next year.

Define flop.

If Phinney ends up winning a few lesser TT/prologue stages and gets a few top 10's in bigger TT's and simply rides a few decent cobbled races to learn from the others on BMC... the season would be successful in my mind.

If you're expecting him to win any road races.... I think you are setting your expectations too high. Right now he's a TT rider, and 4th or 5th tier sprinter and someone who might one day be able to ride the pave well. Other then that he's a pure domestique.

Perhaps when he hangs up his track shoes he'll develop into more of a threat on the road... or perhaps not. But at his current track cycling weight he's useless with any hills present.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Define flop.

If Phinney ends up winning a few lesser TT/prologue stages and gets a few top 10's in bigger TT's and simply rides a few decent cobbled races to learn from the others on BMC... the season would be successful in my mind.

If you're expecting him to win any road races.... I think you are setting your expectations too high. Right now he's a TT rider, and 4th or 5th tier sprinter and someone who might one day be able to ride the pave well. Other then that he's a pure domestique.

Perhaps when he hangs up his track shoes he'll develop into more of a threat on the road... or perhaps not. But at his current track cycling weight he's useless with any hills present.

Agreed, craig1985's comment was completely absurd.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Ya, but rather than intimidation I was thinking more along the lines of a polished liar.

If you make a scene everytime somebody criticizes you, the opposition will use that against you and relentlessly provoke you into making yourself look stupid.

Remember the Kimmage interview? Not exactly polished. Political reporters will not let you get away with that kind of behaviour. And actually since Wall Street Journal began to focus on Lance, it seems that he has begun sending out videotaped statements rather than giving press conferences.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Agreed, craig1985's comment was completely absurd.

I mean flop as in all the hype that surrounds him and he doesn't live up to it. We have a massive thread on him, as well as a lot of press coverage on him, if it weren't for his name or his nationality, nobody would give a ****.

PS: in the future, can you please just call me 'Craig'?

TRENDING THREADS