• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF KOM winner

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm going for David Moncoutie. I like him as a rider and I have always considered him to be clean, or as clean you can be as a pro (Bigboat to respond). I can see him going out on a big break in the mountains and picking up enough points. I guess Stage 10 could be perfect for him.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
craig1985 said:
I'm going for David Moncoutie.
Me too. :)

He already made clear that the KOM jersey is his aim this year, and considering his form and abilities, he has a good chance of succeeding. He'll obviously try to gain as much moints as possible in breakaways, but his form seems well enough to follow the elite group over a few big cols as well. And since there aren't many mountaintop finishes, I don't think one of the GC contenders will gain enough points to win the jersey.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I'm going for David Moncoutie. I like him as a rider and I have always considered him to be clean, or as clean you can be as a pro (Bigboat to respond). I can see him going out on a big break in the mountains and picking up enough points. I guess Stage 10 could be perfect for him.

If Lance or any top gun came into these stages with their natural crits you'd never see their butts they'd be gone...30 mins back atleast.

I like Chavanel or somebody like that though... yeah Moncoutie too. But you know somebody from a dominant team could walk away with it the way things are now.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:

He already made clear that the KOM jersey is his aim this year, and considering his form and abilities, he has a good chance of succeeding. He'll obviously try to gain as much moints as possible in breakaways, but his form seems well enough to follow the elite group over a few big cols as well. And since there aren't many mountaintop finishes, I don't think one of the GC contenders will gain enough points to win the jersey.

And you would think that none of them really care about it too much. I guess podium place > KOM Jersey.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Moncoutie will probably take it. would love to see the eskutel boys have a crack at it and maybe make bit more of a competition out of it.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I always thought it is a bit sad when none of the big GC riders don't care about it. I was always of the opinion that whilst ASO were giving out time bonus, they should given out time bonus on certain KOM climbs.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:

In a short interview on the Rabosport site, ten Dam mentioned that he'd love to ride around in the maillot a pois rouges as well. I wonder if he would be given the liberty to be competitive.

I seriously doubt it though, but hey, let the dutchy (me) keep on dreaming...;)

craig1985 said:

Maybe......If he's not sitting on the back of the bunch....Dreaming

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see some of the young guns, and possible GC 5-15 types have a crack and give the jersey some credibility. I mean the guys who claim they are taking a shot at yellow but really can't. virenque style a good rider who makes it his objective.

blaxland said:
Maybe......If he's not sitting on the back of the bunch....Dreaming

Moncoutie has had his eyes on the jersey since the route was announced.
an interview from November
"pourquoi pas de briguer le maillot de meilleur grimpeur"
http://topsecret.blogs.velomagazine.fr/archive/2008/11/13/moucoutie-est-inspire.html

mmm...linky doesn't seem to work, so
Et vous, personnellement, que pensez-vous de ce Tour ?
Il m’inspire pas mal. Je pense qu’il y aura quelques pièges à éviter sur la première semaine de course mais j’imagine aussi qu’il y a moyen de gagner une étape et pourquoi pas de briguer le maillot de meilleur grimpeur. Je peux refaire sur le Tour 2009 ce que j’ai fait sur la dernière Vuelta, c’est-à-dire reprendre du temps en allant dans les échappées. En revanche, je ne pense pas pouvoir jouer le classement général, surtout au regard de la première semaine de course et de la manière dont elle est dessinée.

Bala Verde said:
In a short interview on the Rabosport site, ten Dam mentioned that he'd love to ride around in the maillot a pois rouges as well. I wonder if he would be given the liberty to be competitive.

I seriously doubt it though, but hey, let the dutchy (me) keep on dreaming...;)

I don't think so either. Ten Dam is Rabobank's best mountain domestique,and he'll probably stay there with Menchov and Gesink as long as he can.

Moncoutie is my fav too. He already stated his intentions,he's got the legs,also something of RV's style.:D
Moreau would end his career nicely if he'll win the polka dot,but it seems he does not have the legs anymore. Last week he dropped out of the Route du Sud,after riding only a few km into the first stage.:eek:

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
hmmm, im thinking some one like popovich or zubeldia, as astana will be sending riders such as them to control breaks on those mountain stages with the final climb to far from the finish. id love to see zubeldia go up the road to control a break, and no one chase. be a hell funny way to watch armstrong contadope and the rest of astana implode

Moreau

En ce qui concerne le Tour de France, vous êtes encore un candidat au Top 10 ?
Non, à 38 ans, le classement général ne fait plus partie de mes ambitions. Je vais essayer de trouver des opportunités pour aller chercher une victoire d'étape. Je me suis réduit à cet objectif, qui n'est pas si simple à réaliser. Ce sera au jour le jour, au coup par coup, pour une victoire d'étape avec, si possible, la manière. C'est ma dernière année, mon dernier Tour, donc je veux me faire plaisir. J'aimerais arriver sur les Champs-Elysées en étant passé à l'offensive. Quand on est libéré de la pression du classement général, et qu'on a la santé et pas de pépins physiques, c'est un objectif tout à fait réalisable.

Le maillot à pois, ce pourrait être un autre objectif pour vous ?
Il est clair que si par chance il m'arrivait de glaner quelques points pour le maillot à pois au cours d'une échappée, une fois que je l'aurais sur le dos, je verrais les choses d'une autre façon. Encore une fois, on fera le point au jour le jour. Ce serait aussi une belle distinction à aller chercher.

http://www.sports.fr/cmc/cyclisme/200925/moreau-je-veux-me-faire-plaisir_231563.html

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised. No mention of Tony Martin?

I'd love to see a 'fight' between Martin, Moncoutie and maybe Ten Dam, though as has already been mentioned, Ten Dam will be expected to lead this year's particularly strong Rabo train up the final climbs rather than going for his own polka-dot glory.

I think the TdF climbs are slightly harder that the "hills" we've seen in Switzerland last week.:D
TM will probably shift his focus exclusively on the time trials,and maybe a 3rd week successful breakaway.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
i'd like to see it go to a proper climber this year. I was never a fan of Virenque and his pick up all the points on a lone breakaway. Too often he cracked on some of the other big climbs and just mopped up the other points where he could.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I reckon it's going to be a relatively unknown rider this year. And let's hope the curse of the KOM (Kohl - doper, Soler - poor recent form) stops.

sherer said:
i'd like to see it go to a proper climber this year. I was never a fan of Virenque and his pick up all the points on a lone breakaway. Too often he cracked on some of the other big climbs and just mopped up the other points where he could.

Sort of like how those unworthy sprinters manage to win the green jersey. Sure they are at the front on some stages but they have the audacity to save energy by riding in the autobus on others. ;)

TRENDING THREADS