• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF moderately historic query

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I have been trying to remember exactly who was involved in a deeply foggy mountain top finish in - I think - the late 80s. Stephen Roche? Pedro Delgado? All I can remember for sure is a damp cyclist emerging from the cloud and Phil Liggett being very excited because it wasn't who he was expecting to see. Please can you put me out of my misery? I have been trawling through YouTube clips without success and am beginning to think I imagined it.

2 Options

It could have been the La plagne stage in 87 but there was no mist on La Plagne, it was very exciting though as Liggett thought Roche was much further behind Delgado and got very excited when Roche came around the corner and almost caught Delgado at the line having been a minute down. One of the great moments in cycling, even more so if you are Iirsh.

The other possibility is from 1992 when Roche came back from 4 years of bad luck, poor form and misfortune to emerge from a thick mist to take a stage victory at the Tour all alone, cant remember where but he was back riding for Carrera again.

People seem to be mixing the two finishes or think they are the same stage.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Thank you very much. 1992 it was; 1987 was bright and sunny - and definitely a classic stage which I watched in the company of a very happy Irishman!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cool video. Thanks for posting it.

Imagine how much work the commentators would have to do to fill in all the blanks if we had a stage like this now days.

elapid said:
Cool video. Thanks for posting it.

Imagine how much work the commentators would have to do to fill in all the blanks if we had a stage like this now days.

Last year, the mountain stage in the Vuelta which Ballan won, it was impossible to see anything, I was so bored watching nothing I gave up and didnt even see Ballan winning. Cannot remember if it was Harmon or Kirby on Eurosport but they were struggling big time.

pmcg76 said:
Last year, the mountain stage in the Vuelta which Ballan won, it was impossible to see anything, I was so bored watching nothing I gave up and didnt even see Ballan winning. Cannot remember if it was Harmon or Kirby on Eurosport but they were struggling big time.

Stage 8 Barbastro - Andorra 223km. International Eurosport cut away to watch the tennis because the only shots of the race available were of the finish but i think British Eurosport stayed and saw the finish. But yeh not much was happening that day.

TRENDING THREADS