• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Stage 17 - Thursday, July 22 2010, Pau - Col du Tourmalet, 174 km

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Biffinator said:
It's clear now. Contador is the new Armstrong.

Wheelsuck in the mountains. Win in the TT.

And everyone says you had a "smart race".

This reminds me of Armstrong "giving" Pantani the win on Mont Ventoux.

Well, that was more Indurain's MO than Armstrong's. Contador ain't the new Armstrong. Maybe the new Indurain, though... with half the class.

2w21pj9.png

McEwen wheelying over the line today.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
Try 90 seconds

He definitely needs to beat AS by more then 39 seconds in the ITT. That's the amount of time he gained via AS' mechanical.

Also, if things go as expected, AC will be the first TdF winner to not win a stage in 20 years--I think that's what I read in a forum earlier.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
schnebit said:
Well, that was more Indurain's MO than Armstrong's. Contador ain't the new Armstrong. Maybe the new Indurain, though... with half the class.

Disagree, Indurain slaughtered the competition on the mountains whenever he needed to,check Tour 94, 95 and even 93 for some action by Indurain in the mountains.

Although I agree Indurain, Armstrong and Contador do what they have to do to win, which sometimes isn't the most exciting.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
indurain666 said:
Disagree, Indurain slaughtered the competition on the mountains whenever he needed to,check Tour 94, 95 and even 93 for some action by Indurain in the mountains.

Although I agree Indurain, Armstrong and Contador do what they have to do to win, which sometimes isn't the most exciting.

I've watched those Tours many times... and never really saw Big Mig lay it down in the mountains. He was always known as a rider who followed the wheels in the mountains and slammed it home in the TT's. The only time I remember seeing him win a mountain stage was in the '90 Tour when he beat Lemond...

Oh, and don't get me wrong... I think that Big Mig was the best Tour champ of the last 20 years. Probably is my all-time favorite rider.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
schnebit said:

Just look at the times Contador attacked this tour. Indurain gave stages away in a whole different manner.
Contador doesn't have TT supremacy, he has an edge.
He just rode like anybody in his position would have today, until he actually needlessly attacked Schleck for the stage win. Comparing Contador to Indurain is just beyond insane.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
ManInFull said:
He definitely needs to beat AS by more then 39 seconds in the ITT. That's the amount of time he gained via AS' mechanical.

Also, if things go as expected, AC will be the first TdF winner to not win a stage in 20 years--I think that's what I read in a forum earlier.
That would be Greg Lemond. I think he was the first too. And did we get EPIC whingeing about the sport being ruined! ruined! because of such tactics. And that was without the help of the internet experts.

No comment.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Just look at the times Contador attacked this tour. Indurain gave stages away in a whole different manner.
Contador doesn't have TT supremacy, he has an edge.
He just rode like anybody in his position would have today, until he actually needlessly attacked Schleck for the stage win. Comparing Contador to Indurain is just beyond insane.

Well, it wasn't a comparison of their riding styles... which are completely different. However Contador's riding style in the 2010 Tour was much more like Indurain's than Armstrong's.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
meandmygitane said:
Thomas Löfkvist started the climb about 15 places from the back of the Peloton, out in the wind looking for a teammate to help him advance to the front. But since Flecha was in the break and Wiggins last in the bunch and couldn't tow him up.

So he was left alone when the peloton split and had to solo himself up (with some help of cracked Flecha+EBH I imagine.)

The climbing squad and tactics of Sky hasn't left me impressed at all! Where the heck was Pauwels and Geraint? Couldn't Bradley helped him up a bit?

Pauwels has been totally invisible the whole tour. Sky should have brought Arvesen instead.

Ouch... That's gotta hurt the morale, getting outclimbed by Spartacus

75 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 0:17:18
76 David De La Fuente Rasilla (Spa) Astana 0:17:49
77 Grega Bole (Slo) Lampre-Farnese Vini
78 Juan Antonio Flecha Giannoni (Spa) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:19:33
79 Matthieu Ladagnous (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:19:45
80 Maarten Wijnants (Bel) Quick Step 0:20:08
81 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Professional Cycling Team 0:20:38
82 Alan Perez Lezaun (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:21:14
83 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram 0:22:34
84 Michael Rogers (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia 0:23:19
85 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Team HTC - Columbia