• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF TV coverage idea

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I remember the days of crappy TV coverage of the tour. Back in the Lemond days, we'd only get one hour on some weekend sports show like wide world of sports, and we were happy for it. We've come a long way and Versus deserves a lot of credit for 3 plus hours of live coverage every day. However, despite Phil and Paul doing a great job, the action is boring. I want to see the first hour of the stages when all of the action happens. At the beginning of the coverage they show us a 20 second recap of all of the action from the opening hour when the pace was crazy and everyone was trying to get into the move of the day. Then we go to live coverage when all of the action has stopped and "the move" has 2-10 minutes on the field. Then we listen to 3 hours of how the peleton could reel them in if they wanted to and various theories about why they don't want to.

Instead, let's see the first hour on tape delay and then the last 2 hours live. I think it would be much more interesting. I hate watching a boring stage and then listening to the post race interviews with riders telling us how crazy the first hour was. Who wouldn't want to watch that instead? Let's let Versus know what we want.

javakaiser said:
Instead, let's see the first hour on tape delay and then the last 2 hours live. I think it would be much more interesting. I hate watching a boring stage and then listening to the post race interviews with riders telling us how crazy the first hour was. Who wouldn't want to watch that instead? Let's let Versus know what we want.

It is a lot of fun to see the early part of a race - and you are right it is rarely shown on TV - but see the randomness of how breaks form is a lot more interesting than the next hour or so of folk plodding along. Althuogh I do love the extended helicopter shots of the French farmers quaint attempts at sculpture with bails of straw and farm machinery - so as long as we didn't lose that ;)

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
how about an interview with El Diablo and the Antler Dude? mix in some life rather than these tech breaks that are nothing more than a specialized commercial