• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

TdF2016 Oscar for Best Entertainment Value.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
zlev11 said:
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Me thinks the rebirth of Cavendish should get a special mention.
went from being outsprinted by Adam Blythe to bossing the likes of Kittel, Greipel, and Sagan with complete ease in one week. not normal.
Maybe, just maybe, his result in the Nat Champs was an anomaly? Especially since he had been outsprinting Sagan (as it should be), Greipel and battling it head to head wth Kittel some time before in Cali and Scheldeprijs.

Bad comparison.
3/12 sprints won prior to the Tour

4/5 in the Tour
 
Re: Re:

peloton said:
Not sure how you can compare Valverde and Nibali with Sagan?

Anyway it was just a question, I have no problem at all if people are suspicious of Sagan.
Why not? If the reason for not raising questions of Prince Charming are because he is a natural talent and he didn't come out of nowhere, then the same could be said of Valverde, who was a huge success as a cadet and a junior and an instant hit at the pro level. But somewhere along the line - we don't know where - he started doping. Nibali, he has his dodgy connections, but he didn't come out of nowhere and he showed as a talent early. What's more, the guy provides plenty of show in racing as well (whereas the Don is recognized for some fairly dull racing these days, a far cry from his early days) which is usually the other thing people use as a reason to almost justify going easy on the questions for Slovak Barbosa.
 
- Sagan is no GT rider
- Until the WC last year, he was more known for not winning than for winning
- Isn't on a team that say's "LOOK CYCLING IS CLEAN BECAUSE WE ARE WINNING" every step of the way
- Doesn't seem to have defandboys, consensus is 'yeah, most likely doping, move on'
 
Re:

Red Rick said:
- Sagan is no GT rider
- Until the WC last year, he was more known for not winning than for winning
- Isn't on a team that say's "LOOK CYCLING IS CLEAN BECAUSE WE ARE WINNING" every step of the way
- Doesn't seem to have defandboys, consensus is 'yeah, most likely doping, move on'
I don't agree with that at all. It's just that it isn't restricted to doping discussion.
 
thought the Astana car / Aru / commissaire pantomime was funny as...
had it all;
drafting, rear brake "adjustment", sticky bidons, throwing unstuck bidons, hiding next to the car from commissaire moto, whistles... lots of whistles... teammate joining the fun
 
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
peloton said:
Not sure how you can compare Valverde and Nibali with Sagan?

Anyway it was just a question, I have no problem at all if people are suspicious of Sagan.
Why not? If the reason for not raising questions of Prince Charming are because he is a natural talent and he didn't come out of nowhere, then the same could be said of Valverde, who was a huge success as a cadet and a junior and an instant hit at the pro level. But somewhere along the line - we don't know where - he started doping. Nibali, he has his dodgy connections, but he didn't come out of nowhere and he showed as a talent early. What's more, the guy provides plenty of show in racing as well (whereas the Don is recognized for some fairly dull racing these days, a far cry from his early days) which is usually the other thing people use as a reason to almost justify going easy on the questions for Slovak Barbosa.
this is actually same view i have on the matter of doping,we all know the pros are doing some shady stuff - some more some less,but its not clean because it never was in 100+ years of cycling history

however what pisses me off more than doping is when the doping is used AND the culprit doesnt even try to race,they basically cheat me personally twice - first by doping,second time by not racing or killing racing

i can live with doping in peloton,because it would be naive to expect anything else - what i cannot possibly accept is a boring TDF because one team has 6 domestiques who could top 10 had they been leaders in their own teams

this is why i will never say a word against guys like sagan,contador,GVA,bardet,aru,nibali etc.,even froome (to his credit he at least attacks even tho the execution is brilliant) or valverde to some extent but i certainly cannot accept poels fondling his balls while chasing aru and bardet,henao going after quintana or f***ing track specialist turned classics specialist turned mountain specialist thomas patting valverde on the back

everybody dopes,but some use it to race,some to kill the race...and f*** the latter
 
Re: Re:

zlev11 said:
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Me thinks the rebirth of Cavendish should get a special mention.
went from being outsprinted by Adam Blythe to bossing the likes of Kittel, Greipel, and Sagan with complete ease in one week. not normal.

Not really relevant to compare a grippy nat champs race that finished in a small group, with no team support, with a bunch sprint in a GT.
 
Apr 3, 2011
1,837
0
0
Re:

Saint Unix said:
I want to put Poels having a leisurely beverage while the world elite is dying behind him up for nomination.
if he continues doing this in the coming monster alpine stages, he may even get nomination for Vroom of 2017
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re: Re:

simoni said:
zlev11 said:
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Me thinks the rebirth of Cavendish should get a special mention.
went from being outsprinted by Adam Blythe to bossing the likes of Kittel, Greipel, and Sagan with complete ease in one week. not normal.

Not really relevant to compare a grippy nat champs race that finished in a small group, with no team support, with a bunch sprint in a GT.
Cav has won with little support at Le Tour. That Cav needs a sprint train is not true as he has proved.

Cav's form at Le Tour on a different level, in such a short time!
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
simoni said:
zlev11 said:
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Me thinks the rebirth of Cavendish should get a special mention.
went from being outsprinted by Adam Blythe to bossing the likes of Kittel, Greipel, and Sagan with complete ease in one week. not normal.

Not really relevant to compare a grippy nat champs race that finished in a small group, with no team support, with a bunch sprint in a GT.
Cav has won with little support at Le Tour. That Cav needs a sprint train is not true as he has proved.

Cav's form at Le Tour on a different level, in such a short time!
That may be the case regarding sprint trains but I'm sure that his team aren't hanging around at the back scratching their arses for the preceding 197kms. (Cummings excepted...!)
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Rest day in Swissbankland. Bet lots of riders, staff and UCI are happy about that. Be a rush tomorrow morning in some branches.
 
Feb 6, 2016
953
0
0
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Rest day in Swissbankland. Bet lots of riders, staff and UCI are happy about that. Be a rush tomorrow morning in some branches.
I wonder why there weren't any rest days in France, a jurisdiction where doping is a criminal offence. No, really, I can't think. Any ideas?
 
Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
Benotti69 said:
Rest day in Swissbankland. Bet lots of riders, staff and UCI are happy about that. Be a rush tomorrow morning in some branches.
I wonder why there weren't any rest days in France, a jurisdiction where doping is a criminal offence. No, really, I can't think. Any ideas?
I would imagine that hosting a rest day in addition to a stage start and finish might cost a little extra. And with the hosts being Andorra and Suisse it's a little extra on top of little extra compared to having a rest day in France.
 
Aug 6, 2011
630
0
0
Prediction for the Best Entertainment Value: Aru's amazing third-week Astana recovery; it's their hallmark.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts