• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 168 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The first three riders were older riders when they joined Sky. Only Geoghan Hart joined asa true neo pro - Sky does not have a good record at developing young talent.
Thomas was part of the British setup up from 15.
Frome was a nothing rider going nowhere, signed purely because he had a British passport and was available as part of the Barlowwold out of work group. All his development was with Sky.
Even Wiggins was a Brailsford boy from a young age, drifting through French teams to top up his wages whilst winning gold medals. Yes he had one good year in 2009 before Sky existed . Even then Brailsford was most likely dragging him out of pubs, kicking him up the proverbial and convincing him he had the talent.

Yeah, people forget that Team Sky was British Cycling's baby to begin with. Born out of the success of the Olympics, funded by Sky TV & the British tax payer (see
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/britons-announce-professional-road-squad/ ). Brailsford was the head and go-to-man for the press, but the sporting/performance side was a team effort, and like all sucessful teams , when the team began to fall apart, so did the results. Froome's big crash was in some way symbolically the end of the era of Sir Dave.

Thomas was part of the British setup up from 15.
Frome was a nothing rider going nowhere, signed purely because he had a British passport and was available as part of the Barlowwold out of work group. All his development was with Sky.
Even Wiggins was a Brailsford boy from a young age, drifting through French teams to top up his wages whilst winning gold medals. Yes he had one good year in 2009 before Sky existed . Even then Brailsford was most likely dragging him out of pubs, kicking him up the proverbial and convincing him he had the talent.

My definition of developing talent is signing a rider as a neo-pro, not recruiting riders who have spent several years with other teams - Sky have improved their ability to develop young talent but it still lags behind other teams, and is more noticeable when you consider their budget. I'll also add that Sky has done nothing for women's cycling which is a shame when you consider their financial resources.

The PFP conundrum; at the moment I'd say she'd likely to leave.....there have been no rumours of an Ineos women's team.
tbh I wouldnt want there to be an Ineos women's team just for the sake of them saying theyve got one, it needs to bring something to the WWT that having another potentially moneybags team, though my likely false impression is Ineos arent stumping up as much cash thesedays, doesnt.

Id far rather Ineos just sponsored a pro conti level team as development pathway for neo pro riders as really unless youre spotted as an exceptional talent by the protour teams, theres no simple route for women riders who may not be fully ready for pro tour, into that top tier.

but that maybe just be a GB problem, and it works fine in the rest of Europe, but hey its a GB problem Ineos could help solve, but they wont because I dont think theyre particularly interested in women's cycling, PFP was kind of an outlier that just happened to suit both parties at the time, and may continue to do so, or not.

Their team for the UAE Tour really shows just how much talent they’ve lost in the last couple of years.
Does it? Their A and B team went to Algarve and will go to Camino respectively. 4 years ago, when they were still the 5x reigning TDF champions, they went to UAE with Dunbar, a very young Carlos and the corpse of Froome.

Any team is hampered once you take out rider 1 through 16. In a few years, they might be heralded for the job they did with Leonard, AJ and Storm.

Does it? Their A and B team went to Algarve and will go to Camino respectively. 4 years ago, when they were still the 5x reigning TDF champions, they went to UAE with Dunbar, a very young Carlos and the corpse of Froome.

Any team is hampered once you take out rider 1 through 16. In a few years, they might be heralded for the job they did with Leonard, AJ and Storm.
“ and the corpse of Froome”.
If he was a corpse already back then, what does that make him now?

Two years ago their roster was absolutely stacked. It was basically impossible not to bring a strong Ineos team to any race on the calendar. Since then they’ve lost Carapaz, Yates, Porte, Van Baarle, Dunbar, Martinez, Tao, Sivakov, Plapp and Tulett and they’ve only really added Tarling and Arensman as notable riders.

Two years ago their roster was absolutely stacked. It was basically impossible not to bring a strong Ineos team to any race on the calendar. Since then they’ve lost Carapaz, Yates, Porte, Van Baarle, Dunbar, Martinez, Tao, Sivakov, Plapp and Tulett and they’ve only really added Tarling and Arensman as notable riders.

Probably was too stacked. See Dunbar, he simply didn't get the possibility to show what he could do, too much talent around. Probably the reason Tao left too, as Lidl he can chose his races and be assured of the leadership, at Ineos he couldn't. After he last 1,5 seasons Martinez is not a loss anymore. And I was convinced he'd be a TdF podium finisher by 23 the latest... Plapp never really showed that much, Sheffield, the guy they keep by now seems the bigger prospect. Losing Tao, Carapaz (same reason I guess), Yates (but who could imagine he would all of the sudden have the consistency to finish third in the tour...) Tulett to Jumbo of all places, Van Baarle of course hurts. But they still have a hell of a team anyway.

Probably was too stacked. See Dunbar, he simply didn't get the possibility to show what he could do, too much talent around. Probably the reason Tao left too, as Lidl he can chose his races and be assured of the leadership, at Ineos he couldn't. After he last 1,5 seasons Martinez is not a loss anymore. And I was convinced he'd be a TdF podium finisher by 23 the latest... Plapp never really showed that much, Sheffield, the guy they keep by now seems the bigger prospect. Losing Tao, Carapaz (same reason I guess), Yates (but who could imagine he would all of the sudden have the consistency to finish third in the tour...) Tulett to Jumbo of all places, Van Baarle of course hurts. But they still have a hell of a team anyway.

I wouldn't discount the fact Jim clearly has his eyes on other balls too in the sporting world, rebuilding Old Trafford into some half a billion quid mega complex for the North, doesnt really align with oh yeah that cycling team I kind of spend 20-30million on a year,he'll be spending that much on one player for his new toy.

Has he ever been seen at an actual race even ? Let alone recently.

Expect more talk of mergers or takeovers this year imo

I wouldn't discount the fact Jim clearly has his eyes on other balls too in the sporting world, rebuilding Old Trafford into some half a billion quid mega complex for the North, doesnt really align with oh yeah that cycling team I kind of spend 20-30million on a year,he'll be spending that much on one player for his new toy.

Has he ever been seen at an actual race even ? Let alone recently.

Expect more talk of mergers or takeovers this year imo
Well there's always plenty more Gulf states with obscene amounts of small change to spend on cycling teams.

I was hoping for a better start to the season from Carlos Rodriguez. Was hoping he could take another step forward this season but it looks the opposite so far…

The whole team are just a level (or two) below where the elite riders are. I have some doubts whether they’ll actually win a World Tour race this season. Pidcock saved them with Strade-Bianche last season but that was it aside from stage wins.

I'm sure Tarling will win a WT time trial or two this year. Besides that I agree that a lot of Ineos riders, again this year, look below par.
Yeah, should have sent Tarling to Tirreno. You know it’s going to be another down year for Ineos when Ganna can’t even win his flat Tirreno TT. The team hasn’t made any progress at all from what I can tell. Still early March but you tend to get a pretty good idea of where everyone is at by now.

Ineos who have not made the best start to the year have thrown two probable WT wins by not sending Tarling to UAE and TA - WT wins are like gold and should be valued.
Are they? He's got a whole career of TT wins ahead of him, and it's a pretty small % of cycling fans who get especially excited by WT TT victories I think? OTOH, Ineos have a weak-looking cobbles team this year, and he has a lot of potential there, so P-N makes more sense. Personally, am much more excited to see how he goes this spring, than focus on a 20-40 minute effort in one stage.

Are they? He's got a whole career of TT wins ahead of him, and it's a pretty small % of cycling fans who get especially excited by WT TT victories I think? OTOH, Ineos have a weak-looking cobbles team this year, and he has a lot of potential there, so P-N makes more sense. Personally, am much more excited to see how he goes this spring, than focus on a 20-40 minute effort in one stage.

He could have and should have done UAE which usually features crosswind action instead of Gran Camino. In terms of cobbles there is not mch difference between doing PN and TA.

UAE are really strong but pretty disappointing not to be beating those Jayco and EF teams in the Paris-Nice TTT. Not sure it really justified selecting Tarling and the first half of the course didn’t even suit him.
Jayco has a history of great TTTs and after hiring Pinotti they stressed the importance of being top class in this discipline. No shame losing time to them imho.

Ineos is generally underperforming but I think today's result was ok. Let's see if Bernal has the legs to attack or at least follow Remco/Rogla going uphill.