• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1010 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
welcome

Ventoux Boar said:
Greetings fellow bike race fans. I'm a long time lurker

welcome! long term lurkers often get special attention here............however one can't sit on the fence forever sooner or later it's ................once more
unto the breach

so how are sky going to perform this year?................form early results have other teams bumped up the ante and are now going to leave poor clean team sky way behind

we will see..........enjoy the party!

Mark L

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
so how are sky going to perform this year?................form early results have other teams bumped up the ante and are now going to leave poor clean team sky way behind

Seems Froome didn't get the memo...............

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
M Sport said:
I always wonder why cycling is the only physical sport that is not supposed to benefit from strength training in the gym. Seems ridiculous to me.

The forces generated in endurance cycling just aren't high enough, that's the main reason. Training a muscle to generate large amounts of force for say 10 reps does absolutely nothing to help you provide more power in a 5 hour road race during which a rider probably turns the pedals 20,000-30,000 times.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Ventoux Boar said:
Greetings fellow bike race fans. I'm a long time lurker, first time reader:) As such it strikes me that some of the tired old tropes need a tune-up. Let's start with the strange notion that cycling is the only sport that cannot benefit from coaching, management and motivation - marginal gains if you'll pardon the phrase.

Would someone please explain why this is the case?

34416044.jpg

SundayRider said:
M Sport said:
I always wonder why cycling is the only physical sport that is not supposed to benefit from strength training in the gym. Seems ridiculous to me.

The forces generated in endurance cycling just aren't high enough, that's the main reason. Training a muscle to generate large amounts of force for say 10 reps does absolutely nothing to help you provide more power in a 5 hour road race during which a rider probably turns the pedals 20,000-30,000 times.

Often though the racing only really starts towards the end of a stage though

And as a bonus I fixed your quotes for you

SundayRider said:
M Sport said:

If someone wants to start the thread to continue this then go for it. My 0.02 is based on this handy resistance graph http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

I would argue you need gym-created power to push through all that air resistance at higher speeds. Now, it's not a 1:1 thing where doing huge squats means higher speeds. But, it will increase your speed after hours in the saddle. No science there, but just my experience.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
GuyIncognito said:
BMC had been a laughing stock inside the peloton for years -in the same way Milram was - for living in the 1970s.

Precisely because no other team is like that. They are (were? we'll see) the exception, not the rule

Good point. Maybe they represent the other end of the perception spectrum.

As for what the hell was I looking at: :eek: busted, I'm afraid - ripped the phrase "Long time caller, first time listener" off a radio show.

Thanks for the warm welcome, especially the suspicious ones. Nothing worse than a polite troll:)

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
SundayRider said:
M Sport said:

If someone wants to start the thread to continue this then go for it. My 0.02 is based on this handy resistance graph http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

I would argue you need gym-created power to push through all that air resistance at higher speeds. Now, it's not a 1:1 thing where doing huge squats means higher speeds. But, it will increase your speed after hours in the saddle. No science there, but just my experience.

My experience is that when I was cycling at my highest level all I did was cycling no weights, no other sports, no other forms of cross training. As soon as I added these things in to the mix - cycling performance went down a fair bit. When I was doing pretty much solely gym weight, when I did hop on a bike even for short rides - I was terrible, even thought off the bike I was much stronger, i.e. could lift a lot more weight.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
So it's only okay to enjoy watching (most) professional sports if one chooses to be naive?

If someone considers it naive to think at least some of the endeavour in sport is non-doped, then, yes, probably. Anything else is to knowingly enjoy people killing themselves. As I said, ghoulish.

I's pretty simple, really.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
martinvickers said:
If someone considers it naive to think at least some of the endeavour in sport is non-doped, then, yes, probably. Anything else is to knowingly enjoy people killing themselves. As I said, ghoulish.

I's pretty simple, really.
and hyperbole

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
"It almost didn't play out in their favour," he warned. "When Henao jumped, me and Kreuziger were careful too and so we jumped with him. The next thing you knew, there was a 15-rider breakaway and even Uran was in there. But Froome was back (in the peloton) and if we'd been more organised, it could have cost him the race. Tactics are tactics, they don't always play out as you plan."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-garderen-in-good-company-on-the-tour-of-oman-podium

lols .

The only "tactics" guaranteed to work are the Sky 2012 / 2013 / USPS 1999-2005 "ride the peloton off your wheel" tactics.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
lols .

The only "tactics" guaranteed to work are the Sky 2012 / 2013 / USPS 1999-2005 "ride the peloton off your wheel" tactics.

Could Sky feel so powerful in 2014 that they play risky tactics for viewer entertainment ?

TRENDING THREADS