• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
xRZ8sOp.gif

You look ugly. Don´t you have a more favourable pic of yourself?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:
Heh heh looks like a fist fight..remember the rules though lads. Gloves up, nothing below the belt and defend yourself at all times (within forum rules obviously):). I really don't want to step in to stop it;) Bon chance.

Why rules? I wanna step down to the level of this low lifer... :D

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
20SecondsToComply said:
And the 'funding' of so-called amateur athletes so that they can train full time. UK Lottery fundign was increased significantly in the years before 2012.

The Olympics ceased being amateur in the 1990's - none of them are 'amateur' except the boxers - and even they are dropping the word soon.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:
Catch weight Foxxy:). It could mean a step up or down for your opponent;)

I can´t. I am on diet. Wanna higher my Watt/Kg. All gains are needed for the infight. Even if they are only marginal...

the sceptic said:
your posts are in a gray area at the moment. Be careful so you dont catch a ban.

You see, only grey area. So no fear of a ban. Go on...

Benotti69 said:
We have a pretty damn good idea what is going on behind the scenes in the sport. The players of cycling are the same from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s where doping was and still is part of the fabric. When and where did they change? I dont see that moment where there was a change, where the majority said no more doping or where anti doping became so tough to beat that the risk was no longer worth taking.

Remember 1996 Mapei, 1, 2 and 3 at Roubaix, DS Lefevere now running OPQS

Domo farm Frites 2002 Paris Roubaix, 1,2 and 3 podium, DS Lefevere now running OPQS. Servais Knaven who won is now a DS at Sky.

Where did the culture of doping end? It didn't.

But you don't. You have assumptions and guesses but you don't really KNOW. You may very well be right. I don't know. But that's my point. You don't KNOW either.

That is what I hate. A bunch of people who've never been closer to the pro peloton than watching on TV or maybe on the roadside who KNOW what's going on behind the scenes. I'm in the same boat. I'm just not arrogant enough to assume that I KNOW what is really going on.

It is possible that Servais Knaven was doped to the gills when he won, but is now a true believer in clean cycling. It's also possible that he is supplying drugs to the whole team. Do you have any evidence of what he's actually doing right NOW or are you just assuming (*** u me) that he's running a dirty team?

nslckevin said:
But you don't. You have assumptions and guesses but you don't really KNOW. You may very well be right. I don't know. But that's my point. You don't KNOW either.

That is what I hate. A bunch of people who've never been closer to the pro peloton than watching on TV or maybe on the roadside who KNOW what's going on behind the scenes. I'm in the same boat. I'm just not arrogant enough to assume that I KNOW what is really going on.

It is possible that Servais Knaven was doped to the gills when he won, but is now a true believer in clean cycling. It's also possible that he is supplying drugs to the whole team. Do you have any evidence of what he's actually doing right NOW or are you just assuming (*** u me) that he's running a dirty team?

You are missingBenotti69's point and it is a good one and one I agree with. And I am not jumping to Benotti69s defence because he is pretty good at doing that himself.

The sport of cycling is rife with former dopers involved in team management, preparing racing programmes for cyclists, development teams, running gran fondos etc. - Vaughters, Riis, White, Barry (promoting the Pan Am Games), Merckx, Hincapie, S Roche (promoting the Giro in Ireland), Leipheimer etc. plus all the sponsors like Nike, Trek, Smith Optics, ClifBar who turned a blind eye to doping to sell their products. Trek owns a cycling team for Gawd's sake!!!!!

The cycling community and hence those that were in the midst of the doping culture are still around and until they are gone from the sport the culture still exists, is still tolerated, is still promoted and kept alive.

Look what the NBA did to Donald Sterling, owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, for private comments he made to his girlfriend about blacks. They were racist, bigoted and as prejudiced as it gets. They were taped from a private conversation. He owns a team.

His defenders would say, this was a private conversation and he can say what he wants. Even though he is racist, his team does not practice racism in hiring coaches and players. The NBA has no right to punish what a person says in private. As the owner of a team he can say what he wants in private etc.

Well that did not wash with the NBA. He was banned from the NBA for life and fined $2.5 million. That's how you get rid of a racist culture perpetrated by a racist owner. Cycling has to do the same thing with its dopers and the UCI still is dropping the ball on this one.

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
nslckevin said:
A bunch of people who've never been closer to the pro peloton than watching on TV or maybe on the roadside who KNOW what's going on behind the scenes.

There are a fair amount of people here who are much closer to things than you may realize.

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
nslckevin said:

Great post. Deserves being repeated every single day in the clinic until everyone finally gets it.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
nslckevin said:
I listened to a really interesting podcast with Michael Hutchinson the other day. It's called "Cycling Time Trial Podcast" and he was a guest.

During the course of the interview he talked about what team GB was doing to prepare for the 2012 Olympic team pursuit. First they assumed that it was take a world record time of 3:50 to win the gold medal. They they back calculated all of the power/speed requirements for EACH PERSON on the team. i.e., the first guy was going to take these pulls at these speeds at these power level's. Same for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th guys. Each person had a different set of requirements to fit and each person was on a similar but different training schedule.

That I think is an example of just how seriously they took winning their home Olympics. Take a ginormous budget, home olympic motivation, quality riders who are freed by their teams to focus on team pursuit and that level of detail and it's not terribly surprising that they won the gold medal is it?

Could they all have been doped to the gills? Who knows. But I hate this culture of assuming that any good performance is practically proof of "obvious doping" without anybody really knowing what is going on behind the scenes (non-doping).

I don't think that we should just assume that everybody is telling the truth about not doping, but that is no better than just assuming that they ARE doping. Both are just lazy thought processes.

they also hid their wheels in wheel bags so the French couldn't see them

Digger said:
they also faked a crash so as to get a restart.

the fake crash is just within the rules - remember Shane Kelly losing out in the kilo? They really need to have a re-start policy for events like that.

As for the wheels, l'equipe were on the money when they mentioned them but decided not to follow up

SafeBet said:
OT but that's debatable. You might remember Elgin Baylor's lawsuit: http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/...d-sterling-sued-by-elgin-baylor-for-employmen

Yes, you are correct. But as I understand it Baylor withdrew his claim of racism during the lawsuit and it was decided on other issues (I could be wrong about this but I seem to recall this is what a press article said last week) He may wish today he had not done that.

What I was driving at is the team itself is like most NBA teams, 70% black and with a black coach in Doc Rivers who the Clippers GM actively recruited away from the Celtics with no apparent interference from Sterling.

PS - Edit. I found what I was looking for. A story in the LA Times of April 26

"Baylor sued Sterling and others in February 2009 in L.A. Superior Court for wrongful termination and discrimination on the basis of age and race. Baylor, who spent 22 years as Clippers general manager before departing in 2008, later dropped the race accusation. A jury ruled in favor of Sterling in March 2011."

Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/04/26/elgin-ba...d-sterlings-past-racial-issues/#ixzz30MKZCIj3

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I loved the wheel bag thing. It shows they have a wicked sense of humour.

The fake crash was also cool. Shows a knowledge of the rules.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
You are missingBenotti69's...

While your post in and itself is conclusive, and I would agree 100% with the content in general, you did one major blunder: Using the NBA, a private owned non-olympic professional sports entertainment as good example to show the bad of cycling.
Well... american pro sports is rotten to the core. I´d go as far as saying they are worse than cycling. All they did with the firing is window cleaning. US major sports practisce the "throw all the dirt under the carpet, use scapegoates, distract from real problems, and keep quiet". They sell a product and try to please the fans to milk more money of them. I would take cycling the way it is right now a million times over the NBA. What we have there is doping to the gills without a governing body, but the players association ruling what is tested for and what not. And we have game fixing that is downplayed by its commissioner to save face (= to save income for the billionaires owners and the millionaires players). On top we certainly* have greedy owners using corrupt politicans to shift teams back and forth to milk more money on the back of taxpayers.
In cycling OTOH we at least have a try to get rid of doping (if that is working or not stands on another page), we have way less money involved, thus lower risks of major corruption, free entrance to the major events, an open field (teams can get in or out) vs the monopoly of US sports... There is certainly more, that is just a short summary.

(* In the NFL this certainy is a fact. I didn´t follow NBA in that aspect. But since the 4 north american major leagues apply the same tactics, its save to assume the NBA does the same $hit as the NFL.)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
nslckevin said:

Actually we would. If the sport cleaned up its act that would mean a lot of people found the road to Dasmascus and would be telling us and turning on those who didn't. The silence about doping from the peloton is deafening.

nslckevin said:

If what was going on behind the scenes was clean, then we would see a lot more of it, but we dont. Teams wont release riders srm files....

nslckevin said:

You know what evidence i have, it is his silence.

If you believe he was clean as a Paris Roubaix winner when his team took all 3 podium places then forget about trying to discuss doping.

The sports history is a cesspit. If i was clean i would want to distance myself from it at every opportunity. Not too many doing that in a meaningful way.

If they are not trying to show they are clean by being as transparent as possible and addressing the doping then why believe they are different from the past?

I dont see any difference between now and then.

TRENDING THREADS