• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1208 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Rai TV say Aru as well as Martinelli Sr + Jr to Sky

Martinelli was team boss of Carrera Jeans and Mercatone Uno through the 90s :eek:

also saying that Alonso will buy Giant-Shimano license

Wow,i hardly wait for Pantani records to be smashed in the next years,Sky will be the limit indeed:D

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
For the last couple days RAI has been talking about Giuseppe Martinelli, and his son, joining SKY next year

Yup, Pantani's DS at SKY. :eek:

What is his son? A doc? Sky seems to need a new doc, they are strugling in the heat again.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Race Radio said:
For the last couple days RAI has been talking about Giuseppe Martinelli, and his son, joining SKY next year

Yup, Pantani's DS at SKY. :eek:

NO way, his son maybe, but Martinelli himself??? What about zero tolerance policy???

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Due to Nibali's huge success in this Tour, SKY (aka golden standard of procycling) decides to hire the son of Mr. Martinelli (aka Nibali's tour winning director). For obvious reasons, they could not hire Mr. Martinelli directly. I guess it totally makes sense, the proteams always try to better the training in any possible way just like AC hired former SKY trainer to better himself. Glad to see the proteams are exchanging training information freely, it will only makes races more exciting.:D

Sir Brailsford's game changer reviewed !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...ma-F8-review-a-Porsche-911-on-two-wheels.html

Lovin' it !

.........This bike makes you try things that you really shouldn’t on a bicycle. It’s constantly compelling you to ride faster, brake later into the corners, push the boundaries of your cycling ability.................
...............During my test, the bike immediately had me riding in the big chain ring, at least three gears higher than I would normally spin..................

I give up counting the Mamils out on their carbon wheels each time I ride to or back from work.

The comments put the clinic to shame !!

Cycle Chic said:
So Kiriyenka had a good day - although he was swigging on a water bottle like an amateur and looked beat.

Mind you he's done naff all for the past 15 days so i suppose he could manage one decent day.

The stone face was under pressure. Also during the descent:

302-PIC483687699.jpg

Plenty of wannabies were able to attack when he rode tempo on the last climb. Limited pace, very different from last year.

Still not a bad ride, pretty realistic considering all the days in the grupetto.

yesterday

At 85kms he was visibly knackered...usually stone faced and all of last year you could see no-one was gona out ride him until the last kilometre of every climb when he would finally drop back by a few metres.

Yesterday he was visibly tired throughout that stage. I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw his face - he was struggling...and when de Bales started he dropped...fair enough Kelly commented that this was his style and he would get back on - which he did.....but compare that to last year !!

And still no comments from any commentator or media....wtf !

thehog said:

More bad press.

But Brailsford, who stands by his decision to not pick Wiggins, admits: “I don’t like losing. I’m not going to lie. I don’t like the experience. The joy of winning has always been a small emotion for me against the strength of the emotion of not winning.

"If we win something, I’m on to the next thing. “Others want to celebrate and enjoy it, but it doesn’t even occur to me.”
However, Brailsford looks on Sky’s failure at the Tour as: “The best thing that could happen to me and us. Every now and again, every team needs a kick up the ****.

“You need to lose and you learn more from failure than you do from success.”
Meanwhile, Tinkoff-Saxo, is managed by Bjarne Riis, a master tactician who is known for his knack of fighting from out of a corner - likewise with Contador.
Their success at the Tour, even without Contador, will also have galvanised their belief that come next year’s Tour, they will be a mighty force behind the Spaniard.

“That's exactly what it is, [a] super strong team, very motivated, even without Alberto,” Riis said.

“The day Alberto went out, I told them it's going to be a long two weeks if we don't have the motivation to continue and do something.
“We agreed and shook hands on it with Oleg [Tinkoff, the owner].”
Clearly, his riders lived up their promise, as Irish rider Nicolas Roche said.
“We are a good group of fighters and friends,” Roche said.
“We were dreaming that sooner or later we could do a demonstration of how the team was.”

Their dream became a reality … unlike Sky’s.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...r-de-france-20140727-zxb2v.html#ixzz38df2Vx4G

Clinic issues aside, this is why Riis the best DS getting around. Whenever you see his teams they always have a true "band of brothers" feel about them, even back in the early 2000's. IMO Riis would have to be the best manager of riders and personalities in pro cycling. Failsfraud could learn a lot by observing his management methods.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
42x16ss said:
Clinic issues aside, this is why Riis the best DS getting around. Whenever you see his teams they always have a true "band of brothers" feel about them, even back in the early 2000's. IMO Riis would have to be the best manager of riders and personalities in pro cycling. Failsfraud could learn a lot by observing his management methods.

Could not agree more. That feeling really came through in the Overcoming movie. Now, granted, it could have been played up to as a perception, but then you'd get awkward looks and body language from the riders, so I am calling it true enough based on what I saw.

The Garmin team has similar issues, someone linked to a forum elsewhere outlining what it was like.

42x16ss said:

There's a video on Rai TV of the Astana bus. Vino was spraying champagne on everyone and then the team picks him up and tosses him in the air to 3 cheers.

Sound to me the Sky bus is like a library without Wiggos humour busting the drone of Froome, Kerrison and the ban on Nutella. For F%#% sake guys! lighten up! :cool:

Dear Wiggo said:
Could not agree more. That feeling really came through in the Overcoming movie. Now, granted, it could have been played up to as a perception, but then you'd get awkward looks and body language from the riders, so I am calling it true enough based on what I saw.

The Garmin team has similar issues, someone linked to a forum elsewhere outlining what it was like.
Even since Overcoming, they give that impression. Things like the way CSC rode for each other in the 08 TdF, Cance's reaction to O'Grady's PR win, the way guys like Roche and Hernandez ride themselves into the ground, Rogers' reaction to Contador's abandon. What Riis creates seems a rare thing.

thehog said:
There's a video on Rai TV of the Astana bus. Vino was spraying champagne on everyone and then the team picks him up and tosses him in the air to 3 cheers.

Sound to me the Sky bus is like a library without Wiggos humour busting the drone of Froome, Kerrison and the ban on Nutella. For F%#% sake guys! lighten up! :cool:
That is very true. Sky doesn't seem to have the same cohesion as other teams, with the exception of 2012 and Porte's support of Froome that last year or so. Too much drama in the squad for a healthy team environment.

Brailsford is too used to the track environment, where everyone races for themselves, win regularly as the results are individual and the athletes don't have to live in each others pockets, day in, day out. He's never had to manage personalities in this way until Sky and not being a former road pro like 99% of DS's he's never had anyone to look up to in this regard either.

TRENDING THREADS