• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1309 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sky

here's the title of one article that Kieran Clarke (founder of the Clarke group) co-authored:

L.C. Heather, M.A. Cole, H.J. Atherton, W.A. Coumans, R.D. Evans, D.J. Tyler, J.F.C. Glatz, J.J.F.P. Luiken & K. Clarke,
'Adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activation
, substrate transporter translocation, and metabolism in the contracting hyperthyroid rat heart' in Endocrinology

Now what was aicar again? Wiki to the rescue:
AICAR) is an intermediate in the generation of inosine monophosphate. AICAR is an analog of adenosine monophosphate (AMP) that is capable of stimulating AMP-dependent protein kinase (AMPK) activity.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site

sniper said:
here's the title of one article that Kieran Clarke (founder of the Clarke group) co-authored:

L.C. Heather, M.A. Cole, H.J. Atherton, W.A. Coumans, R.D. Evans, D.J. Tyler, J.F.C. Glatz, J.J.F.P. Luiken & K. Clarke,
'Adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activation
, substrate transporter translocation, and metabolism in the contracting hyperthyroid rat heart' in Endocrinology

Now what was aicar again? Wiki to the rescue:
AICAR) is an intermediate in the generation of inosine monophosphate. AICAR is an analog of adenosine monophosphate (AMP) that is capable of stimulating AMP-dependent protein kinase (AMPK) activity.

In other words.... Prep....

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

After 20 Years, Delta-G is Market-Ready

Clarke has spent 20 years developing and perfecting Delta-G for the market. One major obstacle involved the flavor. Because ketones taste pretty nasty, his team had to keep testing until they found a pleasant flavor.

They’ve come up with orange, berry, chocolate and coffee flavors and Delta-G will hit the market in the United States later this year.
No pineapple.

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=131

Ketones restricted to Sky? Nah, any douche can buy it online:
http://www.onlinedadrogist.nl/products/display/raspberry-ketone-burner-duo?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=vergelijksite&gclid=CjwKEAjwg7yqBRCu5NmlgMm6i08SJADDEudZMLvMjwQlpVF7feeQNWpbPfrs0kxFJaU9arhObIydwBoCT6Pw_wcB

Sounds to me like another journo trying to sell another - sky don't dope, they just push the envelope with totally legal methods due to their superior knowledge of science.

Yawn.

If their journo hacks hadn't come up with 300 totally different science explanations before this one, it might have been remotely believable, but by this stage its all a bit boy who cried wolf.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Fearless Greg Lemond said:

Clarke has spent 20 years developing and perfecting Delta-G for the market. One major obstacle involved the flavor. Because ketones taste pretty nasty, his team had to keep testing until they found a pleasant flavor.

They’ve come up with orange, berry, chocolate and coffee flavors and Delta-G will hit the market in the United States later this year.
No pineapple.

http://www.onlinedadrogist.nl/products/display/raspberry-ketone-burner-duo?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=vergelijksite&gclid=CjwKEAjwg7yqBRCu5NmlgMm6i08SJADDEudZMLvMjwQlpVF7feeQNWpbPfrs0kxFJaU9arhObIydwBoCT6Pw_wcB

The gains will be marginal at best if you only chugg down stuff that is publicly available at rates far below 2700 euro/litre. Only Sky have access to the cutting edge secret science ketonic drink so sophisticated it took 20 years to make it taste like chocolate.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

bobbins said:
It's been developed by the EIS and used by British cycling. Sky no doubt got free use of it without a problem
sorry, what/who is EIS?

do you perhaps know what kind of cont(r)act (if any) Team Sky / British Cycling actually have with the Clarke Group?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re: Re:

sniper said:
bobbins said:
It's been developed by the EIS and used by British cycling. Sky no doubt got free use of it without a problem
sorry, what/who is EIS?

do you perhaps know what kind of cont(r)act (if any) Team Sky / British Cycling actually have with the Clarke Group?

http://www.eis2win.com/pages/default.aspx

logo2012.png

Seems legit.

*snort*

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
sniper said:
bobbins said:
sorry, what/who is EIS?

http://www.eis2win.com/pages/default.aspx

logo2012.png

Seems legit.

*snort*
thanks.
very legit indeed.

a quick search showed that at least two (more or less key) Sky employees, Nigel Mitchell (head of nutrition) and Chris White (performance analyst) are affiliated to the EIS.

Here's Kieran Clarke's (I assume most recent) piece from 2015 on ketone bodies as performance enhancers:
https://books.google.pl/books?id=LoBKCAAAQBAJ&pg=PT195&dq=ketone+bodies+kieran+clarke&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dJtPVbLSMuK_ywO0nIG4Dg&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=ketone%20bodies%20kieran%20clarke&f=false
Note the disclaimer ("Competing interests") at the end of the article.
In the conclusion, they say more testing is needed, and there's no mention of Team Sky/British Cycling anywhere, so at best this latest story reeks of a smokescreen/rice cakes.
Clarke's main publications concern biochemical testing on rats, how to make them loose weight and get fitter.

Sep 29, 2012

motty89 said:
EIS have a centre by the man city ground. I was a volunteer for a study there and when talking to the physiologist doping came up, he didn't believe any of the sky guys were clean!

Can you tell use more about the study you participated in, and when? Has it been published?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Fearless Greg Lemond said:

No pineapple.

pineapple secretions unnerated. keytones might be to secretions what coffee is to secretions.
#mickeyjuice

Dear Wiggo said:
motty89 said:
EIS have a centre by the man city ground. I was a volunteer for a study there and when talking to the physiologist doping came up, he didn't believe any of the sky guys were clean!

Can you tell use more about the study you participated in, and when? Has it been published?

I did the testing march this year, probably won't be published for a while yet. It was basically looking at the activation of different muscle groups in sprinting and different PPO tests. It was geared towards finding the best way to test track sprinters on the GB team.

Sep 29, 2012
Ah right. Muscle biopsies too? *shuddder*

Seems kind of dangerous for an EIS physiologist to volunteer such damning info re: Sky. Did he back it up with anything? Why do you think he would so readily share such a negative opinion - esp given your libel laws?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
What did Sir Dave say again? Something along the lines of dopers not being bothered about the other factors that bring success, like hard training, team management and organisation? Interestingly, Davy seems to be good at no aspect of pro cycling except churning out riders with insane power.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
the only thing Brailsfraud is good at is saying a lot of things that mean nothing. Kind of like David Brent I have no idea how he managed to con himself into a leadership position.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if this will arise the great David Walsh from his hive?

He could do a detailed book of how Porte was cheated from the Giro win by the evil italian syndicate...

Surely a bestseller...

Re:

mrhender said:
I wonder if this will arise the great David Walsh from his hive?

He could do a detailed book of how Porte was cheated from the Giro win by the evil italian syndicate...

Surely a bestseller...

I remember Walsh was the only person in the entire cycling press to agree with Froome that riders shouldn't be allowed to attack on descents when Bertie attacked on Manse. Even Eurosport and ITV went - uhh, come on Chris descents are a part of the sport.

Not Walsh. Froome said descents are bad, then that means descents are bad and everyone who disagrees is a bitter Armstrong fan.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi people! Been away for a while. Surprised to see that this thread I started a while ago is the most popular both in posts and visits of the whole forums, which goes to show how most cycling fans are disgusted at the fact that they haven't been officially caught yet. Lance got away for some time too .... Just a matter of time. See y'all around.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re:

the sceptic said:
the only thing Brailsfraud is good at is saying a lot of things that mean nothing. Kind of like David Brent I have no idea how he managed to con himself into a leadership position.

Brailsford had already told Cyclingnews on Tuesday evening that while race judges had applied the UCI regulations, the idea of fair play between the riders and the "spirit of the law" had not been recognised. “It just goes to show you that you can either live by the letter of the law or the spirit of the law,” he said.

But Dave, I can still believe in miracles, right?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sartoris said:
Hi people! Been away for a while. Surprised to see that this thread I started a while ago is the most popular both in posts and visits of the whole forums, which goes to show how most cycling fans are disgusted at the fact that they haven't been officially caught yet. Lance got away for some time too .... Just a matter of time. See y'all around.
great signature and a subtle avatar as well :D

i hope you're right, but people have learned from USPS/Lance (something nobody with a steak in cycling will want to see happening again) and Sky/GBcycling have done a good job keeping the ranks closed by putting brits on key positions at UCI/WADA. I'm skeptic.

TRENDING THREADS