• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

P.S. Moho to join JV tactical assembly.

Mohoric is quite funny, sometimes. His epic seatpost, now his deep analysis of Jumbo‘s race tactics… ;)

I disagree, however. You cannot tell Valter in this situation to work for Benoot. Just as good you could tell Benoot to work for Valter.

When I read the final startlist yesterday morning, I noticed that all riders who finished in front of Valter in 2022 Strade, would not start in 2023. Valter was fourth in 2022. With his proven shape from Camino, he was a top favourite yesterday.

So IMHO, no way to tell Valter to completely work for Benoot.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The way they raced i agree that likely they were instructed each rider for himself. JV does that occasionally. Seen a lot of Kuss and Co. races like that. Sometimes they just don't bother and rather say you all are leaders today. Results usually end up being as big as the effort invested. In deciding who the leader is. So a podium position at SB can likely still be considered a success.

was it a known fact that Vingegaard gifted the time trial win to van Aert in last year's Tour? From Belgian media today:

"(gt) [Before the Tirreno ITT] Wout told me that he didn't want to go full gas", explains van Dongen. "Nice detail: last year in the Tour it was Vingegaard who held back to let Wout win the time trial. This time it was Wout who asked me to couch him so that he didn't set the fastest time, as he didn't want to get into the hot seat."

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
was it a known fact that Vingegaard gifted the time trial win to van Aert in last year's Tour? From Belgian media today:

"(gt) [Before the Tirreno ITT] Wout told me that he didn't want to go full gas", explains van Dongen. "Nice detail: last year in the Tour it was Vingegaard who held back to let Wout win the time trial. This time it was Wout who asked me to couch him so that he didn't set the fastest time, as he didn't want to get into the hot seat."
It was speculated, but not known

Not a bad day for Jumbo

FqyxfXhWABYsEfa

Since Omloop, Jumbo have made the podium of every Worldtour race... with 7 different riders. Let's see how long this streak continues.

25/2: Omloop (1. Van Baarle, 3. Laporte)
4/3: Strade Bianche (3. Benoot)
12/3: Paris-Nice (3. Vingegaard)
12/3: Tirreno (1. Roglic)
18/3: Milano-Sanremo (3. Van Aert)
22/3: Brugge-De Panne (2. Kooij)

I think it fairly obviously ends on Friday (if it has to be different riders).

But that is a pretty astonishing stat. The relegation worry is over, I guess.

Arguably 3 of 5.

Pog, Rog, Wout van Aert, Van der Poel & Evenepoel, in whatever order based on their form on the day.

I know people would be tempted to put Vingegaard in there but let's wait & see. Those five are serial winners who'll score their team loads of UCI points all year long.

I'm also so looking forwards to Itzulia in a couple of weeks because that's when Vingegaard can & should grab his first WT stage race, considering who he's up against. No offense to Gaudu, Mas or the Yates brothers but Jumbo have to fancy Vingegaard's chances there.

Pog, Rog, Wout van Aert, Van der Poel & Evenepoel, in whatever order based on their form on the day.

I know people would be tempted to put Vingegaard in there but let's wait & see. Those five are serial winners who'll score their team loads of UCI points all year long.

I'm also so looking forwards to Itzulia in a couple of weeks because that's when Vingegaard can & should grab his first WT stage race, considering who he's up against. No offense to Gaudu, Mas or the Yates brothers but Jumbo have to fancy Vingegaard's chances there.
I agree with you here. I just know some fans who think Tour de France is the only race that matters will put Vingegaard somewhere in the top 5. He is not in my top5 just yet. I need to see more.

Alaphilippe and Bernal once where in that company. No more.
Bernals TdF win wasn't in the same stratsophere as Vingegaards. It's arguably the weakest one of the last 15 or so years. Alaphilippe meanwhile won 2 absolutely dominant WC, that would have been deserved.

If we have to cut a man out to get a top 5 I'm not even sure I cut out Vingegaard, cause Im inclined to chop MvdP or Van Aert about as much.

So Jumbo wins Omloop, KBK, E3 and GW (3 of them with 2 riders on the podium). If they don't manage to win either RVV or Paris Roubaix this season it will one of the biggest failures for a team in the last decades.
I can only think of QS in 2019 with more victories in one day races (omloop, Kuurne, Samyn, Strade, MSR, E3, P-R and fleche walonne), but they were less dominant and had no GC results at all.

• Wow

I think he got that out of the way last July.

I think he got that out of the way last July.

Nope. To be the best, you need to remain the best. At least for multiple seasons. That also includes some one week stage races I was referring to.

Vingegaard had a breakthrough 2021 season & he exploded last summer. Now for the real hard part: being a champion, year after year. It's all the little stuff, like dealing with fame, money, media obligations, new standing, pressure as team leader in the biggest race of the year.

If he arrives in July & contests the overall TdF win (I don't even necessarily say he needs to win again, i.e. he just needs to 'matter' in the GC versus Pog & finish close to yellow), then he'll confirm he's in the top tier champs of this era.

But he really should win Itzulia & get his first one week WT stage race victory.

Nope. To be the best, you need to remain the best. At least for multiple seasons. That also includes some one week stage races I was referring to.

Vingegaard had a breakthrough 2021 season & he exploded last summer. Now for the real hard part: being a champion, year after year. It's all the little stuff, like dealing with fame, money, media obligations, new standing, pressure as team leader in the biggest race of the year.

If he arrives in July & contests the overall TdF win (I don't even necessarily say he needs to win again, i.e. he just needs to 'matter' in the GC versus Pog & finish close to yellow), then he'll confirm he's in the top tier champs of this era.

But he really should win Itzulia & get his first one week WT stage race victory.

I merely meant his first win in the GC of a WT stage race.

TRENDING THREADS