• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
.... I will say I was a bit surprised by his recent poor performance in the Czech Tour though (i.e. he was outshone by Johannes Staune-Mittet, which was notable because Hessmann had such a great climbing level in the Giro, aka which was way harder than the Czech race). Ergo he'd lost some form since the end of May for sure.
I guess that is more an under-estimation of how good Staune-Mittet is; Or also; being 'beaten' by a teammate is not always a reference of how is better.

Just to be clear; There is no "in the hour your might get visited by anti-doping", as you named it, in out-competition testing. Out-competition you can get a test at any moment during the day; also outside the hour you mention you can be found on a fixed place in the whereabouts. Your whereabouts also mention where you train, where you sleep. They can find you in these places and do tests at any moment.
It really isn't as random as you're making out. Lets break WADA's protocol down:

Details given in whereabouts
1. Home address, email address and phone number
2. An address for overnight accommodations
3. Regular activities, such as training, work, and school, the locations and the times of these activities
4. Competition schedules and locations
5. A 60-minute time slot for each day where they’ll be available and accessible for testing and liable for a potential ‘missed test’

Item 5 is the only possible out of competition violation possible in as much as if you are NOT there for that hour to be tested, it's specified & classed as a missed test. Items 1 - 4 if you are not there, cannot under WADA code be considered a missed test strike. WADA even explain it as such:

"Remember that all athletes can still be tested anytime and anywhere. However, for RTP athletes, a missed test may be recorded if you are unavailable during your declared 60-minute window"

I think certainly in sensitive cases like this Cyclingnews shouldn't just run these articles through Google Translate. "Slaat harder op ons terug" is a phrase that is difficult to translate, but it doesn't mean "hits us harder". More like "we have more to answer for".

Also, this article constistently spells Hessmann's name wrong.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It really isn't as random as you're making out. Lets break WADA's protocol down:

Details given in whereabouts
1. Home address, email address and phone number
2. An address for overnight accommodations
3. Regular activities, such as training, work, and school, the locations and the times of these activities
4. Competition schedules and locations
5. A 60-minute time slot for each day where they’ll be available and accessible for testing and liable for a potential ‘missed test’

Item 5 is the only possible out of competition violation possible in as much as if you are NOT there for that hour to be tested, it's specified & classed as a missed test. Items 1 - 4 if you are not there, cannot under WADA code be considered a missed test strike. WADA even explain it as such:

"Remember that all athletes can still be tested anytime and anywhere. However, for RTP athletes, a missed test may be recorded if you are unavailable during your declared 60-minute window"
All correct from recollection.
It’s really not very dramatic. The collector calls the athlete far ahead of the sample, and arranges a time.

Weird the federation is back to busting second tier riders to show they are doing something.

Kuss is particularly suspicious. Incredible grand tour performance, but no indication of his talent until a single win in 2018.

Last edited:
For those not around during the Verbruggen corruption festival.

Landis heard from the news he tested positive. Much later, we found out the lab re-tested his sample until they got a positive. Which, seems… Unusual.

Contador basically kept riding while the UCI dragged their feet so long that *coincidently* his ban lasted a single off-season.

I just wonder what the point of “disappearing“ second tier riders is.. Why now?

For those not around during the Verbruggen corruption festival.

Landis heard from the news he tested positive. Much later, we found out the lab re-tested his sample until they got a positive. Which, seems… Unusual.

Contador basically kept riding while the UCI dragged their feet so long that *coincidently* his ban lasted a single off-season.

I just wonder what the point of “disappearing“ second tier riders is.. Why now?
To be fair Contador also lost his results during that time.

You live in the future and now it will be raided in October? You know when this was announced, right?
Ah, sorry. I was confused about the date of the test and the announcement of the result.

Btw, it's still not clear to me when the positive test result was known. From the NOS article it sounds to me like Jumbo only made this public when the police raided, but they knew it earlier.

Last edited: