• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Katusha - Help...

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I've always wondered about this, but haven't been able to find an answer.

Why is it called Team "Katusha", but the jerseys read "Katiowa"?

Thanks.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I read this thread title, and for one moment, one sady fleeting moment, I thought "this might be my chance to do the Tour de France".

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
jmax22 said:
I've always wondered about this, but haven't been able to find an answer.

Why is it called Team "Katusha", but the jerseys read "Katiowa"?

Thanks.

As 53x11 said, the russians use the Cyrillic alphabet, not the Latin alphabet

Cyrillic-italics-nonitalics.png

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
The team name is the -incorrect- transliteration of Катюша, which is the name you see on their jerseys. It's a Second World War rocket launcher.

Actually it's an old traditional russian song. The rocket launcher was also named after it. It's best translated as "Kathy" (it's short for Katerina). So, yes there's a ProTour team named Kathy :p

May 15, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
The accepted English pronunciation is 'Ka-too-sha', but Slavic speakers pronounce it as 'Kat-your-sha'.

Here is the song "Katyusha".

No, we do not pronounce it like that :)

Check Forvo or other similar websites to find out how to pronounce it correctly.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:
No, we do not pronounce it like that :)

Of the languages I know, english uses by far the least sounds. It's impossible to tell an english-speaker through writing how most names in most languages are pronounced because there's simply no equivalent for a lot of sounds.

Not the case with this particular word, but what I'm saying is...have some compassion for the anglophones :p

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I started reading one of those 'Idiots guide to learning German' books the other night, it's alright, but I have no I idea if I am pronouncing the words right.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I started reading one of those 'Idiots guide to learning German' books the other night, it's alright, but I have no I idea if I am pronouncing the words right.

HEREis a free on-line course for beginners. It has audio as well. If you browse around, you'll find a lot of information.

TRENDING THREADS