• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Billie said:
Beech Mtn said:
Dowsett's a strong guy, but he's just going to get caught up in the huge crash on day one and end up having to abandon the race.

he's only strong in TT's. he sucks in everything else. He's of no use. Shouldn't even have been in the preselection.

I tend to agree here. He is a watt-monster, but he isn't ideal as a bodyguard and he is the worst climber on the squad. Not having a big TTT makes him very unlikely.

Dauphine is on the way. That means many of the young guys will have freedom in a bigger race which doesn't happen too often. Lets look at how some of those did:
Herrada - 10
Soler - 37
Pedrero - 40
Oliveira -52
Quintana - 54
Fernandez - 68

Only really disappointed performance by Fernandez, the rest did very well, obviously particularly Herrada who always seems to perform well in TT's. Super versatile and can do everything - one of the favourites for stage 2 in this shape. Hoping to see these guys attacking like mad men in this Dauphine.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
And Moreno soon gotta show something. He has been under par and this prologue suited him, hopefully he will show signs of life in the next weekend. Same goes for Anacona to a lesser extent, but I believe he will be there.
anacona doesn't have to show anything

Ryo Hazuki said:
Valv.Piti said:
And Moreno soon gotta show something. He has been under par and this prologue suited him, hopefully he will show signs of life in the next weekend. Same goes for Anacona to a lesser extent, but I believe he will be there.
anacona doesn't have to show anything

Thats why I said 'to a lesser extent', obviously not meaning that he should climb with the 15 best in Suisse or get cut

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
looking not just at today but what I already said. imo movistar will have a stronger team this tour, than sky. jesus herrada making a HUGE step forward, showing his talent. daniel moreno improving a lot. and this is their b-squad

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
looking not just at today but what I already said. imo movistar will have a stronger team this tour, than sky. jesus herrada making a HUGE step forward, showing his talent. daniel moreno improving a lot. and this is their b-squad

Movistar will most definitely be strong as a unit. Stronger than sky? We'll find out soon enough. But yeah, I'm getting optimistic for the TdF. Nairo will have a strong team around him and he should be able to do the job. I think our Nairo/Movistar are the (big) favourites for bringing the yellow in Paris. :)

Yes, they will be incredibly strong. I just waited for Herrada's signature win and it came. Unfortunately, for him he isn't the prototype of a helper at all, he is on the other hand an incredible stage hunter in various terrains and always does well in ITT's no matter how hard they are.

Very good rider. Hopefully Ruben will show his climbing talent in the mountains now, but how long can Herrada hold on? Hoping for a top-10 finish. What a stage by the lads today.

Ugh ok, Fernandez lost 2 minutes. That's GC over - stagehunt possibilities now.
Oliveira is climbing well for being a rouleur. Oliveira > Ventoso, but might come down to who Nairo prefers on the flat.
Moreno is improving steadily, no worries.

And... Dayer Quintana showing some legs! Good to see.

May 23, 2016
Visit site
I can't wait till the announcement of the final list will emerge after the Critérium du Dauphiné and Tour de Suisse. Alot of talent to choose from and Froome/Sky combo looks less strong as in 2013 and 2015.

Re:

MovistarRider said:
I can't wait till the announcement of the final list will emerge after the Critérium du Dauphiné and Tour de Suisse. Alot of talent to choose from and Froome/Sky combo looks less strong as in 2013 and 2015.
Imo, Sky looks a lot better than 2013 and better than 2015. Much depends on Landa - if he is on, he can be a one man army for Froome in the high mountains.
They are probably as strong as 2012, but obviously, not in relative terms since they completely annihilated everything that year.

But Movistar can potentially play with them as the only team IMO.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

MovistarRider said:
there is only 1 doubt, either oliveira or ventoso. the rest of tour squad is certain

Ryo Hazuki said:
MovistarRider said:
there is only 1 doubt, either oliveira or ventoso. the rest of tour squad is certain
Quintana
Valv
Moreno
Anacona
Jesus H
Gorka I
Castroviejo
Erviti
Oliveira/Ventoso

Or are you including Ion Izagirre as well? If so, who is out?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
MovistarRider said:
Quintana
Valv
Moreno
Anacona
Jesus H
Gorka I
Castroviejo
Erviti
Oliveira/Ventoso

Or are you including Ion Izagirre as well? If so, who is out?
never mind then, must've misread the lineup. no oliveira and ventoso then

Valv.Piti said:
MovistarRider said:
Imo, Sky looks a lot better than 2013 and better than 2015. Much depends on Landa - if he is on, he can be a one man army for Froome in the high mountains.
They are probably as strong as 2012, but obviously, not in relative terms since they completely annihilated everything that year.

Cataldo, Rosa, Tiralongo, Sanchez, Kangert, Nibali, Aru. Astana is up there when it comes to strength of the team. Unfortunately, their leader is not yet able to compete with the very best.

Breh said:
Valv.Piti said:
MovistarRider said:

Cataldo, Rosa, Tiralongo, Sanchez, Kangert, Nibali, Aru. Astana is up there when it comes to strength of the team. Unfortunately, their leader is not yet able to compete with the very best.

Definitely, Astana aren't too sloppy either. I think you can add Fuglsang to that list as well, they are pretty strong, but as you mentioned, I doubt they will be able to use to to their advance too much since Aru is a notch below (maybe 2).

Tinkoff aren't either. All it takes is a very good Majka (2014-level) and decent Kreuziger, but I still see Movistar better than both teams. Especially Tinkoff.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Grande win from Jesus! He learned from the master!
For me lineup is pretty clear, I have one dilemma:
Nairo
Bala
Dani Moreno
Anacona
Jesus Herrada
Erviti
Gorka Izagirre
Ventoso
Catroviejo/Oliveira (this depends of Castro's form. If he's ok, it's him then)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Moviestar said:
The pepites are developing very well, with Ion, Jesus and even Dayer. Only Lobato seems to stagnate..
dayer has a lot of margin to improve still. I think he can become very strong rider

Ryo Hazuki said:
Moviestar said:
The pepites are developing very well, with Ion, Jesus and even Dayer. Only Lobato seems to stagnate..
dayer has a lot of margin to improve still. I think he can become very strong rider
Hopefully Vuelta '16 and Tour '17, both with Nairo. Or just the Giro next year, would be fine, I was disappointed he didn't get the call this year.

I like what Movistar wrote on their Facebook today:
ENORME. GENIAL. IMPARABLE. DON JESÚS HERRADA.

TRENDING THREADS