• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I couldn't really imagine Quintana on any other team - as long as Movistar continues, I see him continue. Only Spanish team in the WT, seems to get along nicely with many of the riders (Erviti, Castro etc.), have a few Colombians as well and when Valverde's role diminishes, its all for Quintana (that transition is already happening).

With Soler and Fernandez evolving as well as some others, Movistar is really a force to be reckened with, also in the future. Its the team who gets the most results out of their budget year in, year out (mainly from Quintana and Valverde 13-16 who have been top-10 in the rankings consistently I think).

Indeed. I'm glad the budget increases, in het past they were often the victim of their own success with riders as Uran, Costa and Kiriyienka who were ''forced'' to leave cause Movistar couldn't pay them anymore

Re: Re:

Moviestar said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, exactly. Ion will be able to stay. <3
But by just how much does the budget increase?

We'll hear it undoubtedly on Monday ;)

Thanks.

Thought I'd share something interesting I heard on the Cycling Podcast today. Daniel Friebe noted (or maybe Andrew Hood) that Movistar possibly wouldn't be in it at this point if not for Quintana due to the big markets in South America.

Movistar is pretty reminiscent of Astana 2015 or Sky 2016. They have really had this race under control - granted, Nairito might not have won if not for Formigal, but they have been there in every key moment. Sutherland, Rojas, Castro and Fernandez have especially been great.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Movistar is pretty reminiscent of Astana 2015 or Sky 2016. They have really had this race under control - granted, Nairito might not have won if not for Formigal, but they have been there in every key moment. Sutherland, Rojas, Castro and Fernandez have especially been great.

Not coincidentally the fresher men ;)

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
My only issue with Movistar is Quintana. I would love to see someone like Alberto as Movistar's leader.
For some reason this thread reminded me of Euskaltel :(

I miss the carrots so much.

Re: Re:

hrotha said:
MacBAir said:
My only issue with Movistar is Quintana. I would love to see someone like Alberto as Movistar's leader.
Quintana and Movistar are two sides of the same coin. And the coin is spherical.

It's a match made in heaven.

Exactly, as long as they have Valverde for the Spanish market Contador would be too expensive, as he would come at the cost of exposure in another market.

Would be great if they could be the gateqay for cycling in some other Latin American countries (like they're doing with e.g. Amador and the Movistar Ecuador team).

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Someone wrote into the Contador thread yesterday that Movistar will announce a famous new rider for the next season. Was that nonsense, or does anyone have further news about that?

It seems it's just the renewal of Valverde?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Someone wrote into the Contador thread yesterday that Movistar will announce a famous new rider for the next season. Was that nonsense, or does anyone have further news about that?
movistar are 90% focussed on latin america. quintana is by far their most important rider and the focus will be more and more on riders from latin america the coming 10 years.

Ryo Hazuki said:
Gigs_98 said:
movistar are 90% focussed on latin america. quintana is by far their most important rider and the focus will be more and more on riders from latin america the coming 10 years.

That's only if you assume that Movistar the company will continue to sponsor the team beyond 2019, which is a precarious thing to assume. But even so, I think Telefonica are content with the current balance of Spanish-Latin American riders. They probably care a lot more that they continue being successful, especially in regards to Nairo.

And the rest of the Colombians have not done very well.. Betancur was decent for a couple of weeks, Anacona has been almost nonexistent the whole season apart from a couple of stages and Dayer, altho winning in San Luis, hasn't been incredible either, altho not bad at all.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
And the rest of the Colombians have not done very well.. Betancur was decent for a couple of weeks, Anacona has been almost nonexistent the whole season apart from a couple of stages and Dayer, altho winning in San Luis, hasn't been incredible either, altho not bad at all.

I don't know about that. The only one from whom they expect big things right now is Nairo. Betancur was and still is a long shot. I don't think they expected him to be good this year since he started with crappy base fitness. Dayer and Anacona are role players and Dayer has played his role OK. Anacona wasn't great in the Tour, but the team as a whole wasn't good.

Thats maybe a little harsh on Dayer, but I had definitely expected more from Anacona after his insane performance last year on stage 20. Again, not that it had mattered, but he was poor in pretty much his only objective the whole season. So obviously needs to do better last year.

Big compo for Eneco, clearly on the hunt for WT points

Andrey Amador, Winner Anacona, Alex Dowsett, Gorka + Ion Izagirre, Nelson Oliveira, Jasha Sutterlin and Fran Ventoso

Toscane + Coppa Sabatini

Adriano Malori, Jose Herrada, Carlos Betancur, Javi Moreno, Giovanni Visconti, Antonio Pedrero, Dayer Quintana

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Dani seems to going into great shape ahead of Lombardia, just like last year. I think they will be really strong there, with Dani, Bala and Nairo

TRENDING THREADS