• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Koronin said:
From la Vuelta presentation it sounds like Movistar has confirmed that Valverde and Landa are going to La Vuelta. I think we already knew Valverde was going, but not as sure about Landa. They did not confirm Quintana, thus making it sound like it's possible Quintana is only doing the Tour this year as far as GTs go.
Actually i like this duo a lot. Route is taylored for Valverde and Landa is one of the few riders in peloton who can open up the GC game in a slightly boring route and be distractor, riding in a free role for himself. Either way its the best combo for Movistar and Quintana is definitely odd man out here.

Re:

portugal11 said:
the cobbled stage will be crucial for movistar. They have 5 riders to protect 3 riders and some of them will be climbers domestiques. I smell chaos in that team
Valverde will help Quintana or Landa on that stage. I dont think he will ride TDF for GC, just for sponsor image, some stage win and ramping it up before Vuelta and WC.

Re: Re:

repre said:
Koronin said:
From la Vuelta presentation it sounds like Movistar has confirmed that Valverde and Landa are going to La Vuelta. I think we already knew Valverde was going, but not as sure about Landa. They did not confirm Quintana, thus making it sound like it's possible Quintana is only doing the Tour this year as far as GTs go.
Actually i like this duo a lot. Route is taylored for Valverde and Landa is one of the few riders in peloton who can open up the GC game in a slightly boring route and be distractor, riding in a free role for himself. Either way its the best combo for Movistar and Quintana is definitely odd man out here.

Well it is la Vuelta, and it's usually very well suited to Valverde. I agree about Valverde and Landa. I also think they could be a fun duo to watch. Valverde made a comment a month or so ago that he thinks Landa's racing style compliments his very well and thinks they can have a lot of fun at races together. Landa surprisingly said that he was willing to go to la Vuelta to work for Valverde.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Movistar has plenty of promising young riders to send to the Giro. They have a good chance to have a good showing. They will be well represented.
They really do. I could see a team like Betancur, Amador, Roson, Soler, Carapaz, Carretero, Sepulveda and Pedrero... that would probably be overkill, but just hunt stage 100%. Maybe throw Rojas or Barbero in there as well, Bico or Arcas.. that is if they don't throw a curveball and send Landa to the Giro which I hope they do now.

It will also be fun to see which 5 riders they will put around Valv, Quintana and Landa.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Escarabajo said:
Movistar has plenty of promising young riders to send to the Giro. They have a good chance to have a good showing. They will be well represented.
They really do. I could see a team like Betancur, Amador, Roson, Soler, Carapaz, Carretero, Sepulveda and Pedrero... that would probably be overkill, but just hunt stage 100%. Maybe throw Rojas or Barbero in there as well, Bico or Arcas.. that is if they don't throw a curveball and send Landa to the Giro which I hope they do now.

It will also be fun to see which 5 riders they will put around Valv, Quintana and Landa.

I don't like that idea so much (100% stage hunting). You need to teach those youngsters how to tackle a GT. Together. That way hopefully once we'll see an aggressive Movistar in the future.

Pennino said:
Valv.Piti said:
Escarabajo said:

I don't like that idea so much (100% stage hunting). You need to teach those youngsters how to tackle a GT. Together. That way hopefully once we'll see an aggressive Movistar in the future.
They don't have anyone capable of podiuming, so they will ride the race as they did last year in the Vuelta - try every day and let Amador ride his secondary GC. I don't think Soler should do that, yet, but maybe he will. Anyways, the guys shouldn't use to much energy to keep those guys out of trouble etc. apart from maybe 1 fully dedicated domestique.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Pennino said:
Valv.Piti said:
Escarabajo said:

They don't have anyone capable of podiuming, so they will ride the race as they did last year in the Vuelta - try every day and let Amador ride his secondary GC. I don't think Soler should do that, yet, but maybe he will. Anyways, the guys shouldn't use to much energy to keep those guys out of trouble etc. apart from maybe 1 fully dedicated domestique.

Don't you think Soler should finally try to go for GC? But Amador will be fine too. But what I really mean is that I would like to see those guys trying to race aggressively for the GC. Final position doesn't matter, but trying to finish as high as possible without only sucking wheels is. That is what I expect from a bunch of inexperencied youngsters. :cool:

Pennino said:
Mayomaniac said:
Pennino said:
Valv.Piti said:
Finally? Its his second GT, he has plenty of time..

My bad, thought the guy had already some under his belt.
Maybe you got him and Ruben Fernandez mixed up?

Yeah, think so. What about him? Does he have a decent future in GT GC'ing?
No, not really. Fernandez has the potential to be a super mountain domestique tho, but he had a bad 2017 so he really has something to prove.

If Soler goes to the Giro (which I think he should) it will be his 2nd Grand Tour. He's still learning. Fernandez if he goes (which would also make sense) would be in his 4th GT. Fernandez needs to prove last year was just a bad year. I would suspect Amador will be race leader and he'll be allowed to try to get a good GC spot. I'd also let Soler have his choice of stage hunting or trying to ride for GC.

Yeah true, Soler should have a more free role, but I don't think they should focus most of their attention on the GC. It really depends on what form he will be in, and if he will race at all - his Catalunya-level is surely enough to fight for a spot between 5-10th, but we have seen him with that level exactly once. He got a lot better throughout the Vuelta though which was very encouraging, I think he has the endurance, the engine and recovery for a good GC, at least in the future. A bigger Sastre/Mancebo type, lets see.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah true, Soler should have a more free role, but I don't think they should focus most of their attention on the GC. It really depends on what form he will be in, and if he will race at all - his Catalunya-level is surely enough to fight for a spot between 5-10th, but we have seen him with that level exactly once. He got a lot better throughout the Vuelta though which was very encouraging, I think he has the endurance, the engine and recovery for a good GC, at least in the future. A bigger Sastre/Mancebo type, lets see.

Agreed. I think some of it will come with time. However, I also think he will be helped greatly by having someone who had raced for GC with him to learn from. I do think he'll benefit from racing with Amador at the Giro.

Re:

Moviestar said:
Valverde, Quintana and Soler to participate in the Volta a Catalunya.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/ciclismo/20180125/ciclismo-volta-catalunya-valverde-quintana-soler-confirmados-6577058

They could have planned this in a better way... Valverde and Soler working for Nairo :sad:
Do we know which races of Paris-Nice, Tirreno, Catalunya and Pais Vasco Quintana, Landa and Valverde each will race? I think Valverde will only race Catalunya, so that would suck if he has to share leadership with Nairo or probably even be on domestique duties.

Valv.Piti said:
Moviestar said:

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/ciclismo/20180125/ciclismo-volta-catalunya-valverde-quintana-soler-confirmados-6577058

They could have planned this in a better way... Valverde and Soler working for Nairo :sad:
Do we know which races of Paris-Nice, Tirreno, Catalunya and Pais Vasco Quintana, Landa and Valverde each will race? I think Valverde will only race Catalunya, so that would suck if he has to share leadership with Nairo or probably even be on domestique duties.

Valverde will participate in three stage races according to his schedule: Valencia, Catalunya and Dauphine.
Landa will start in Andalucia and he will be the leader in Pais Vasco. Not much is known yet of his schedule.
Quintana will participate in the Tirreno and Catalunya and probably Dauphine/Suisse.

I have read very little so far about the team for Paris-Nice. The recent years they have given the younger riders a chance to prove themselves, like Ion, Fernandez, G.Izagirre and Soler. Maybe Fernandez/Soler/Carapaz in a free role this year.

Betancur is also scheduled to ride Paris-Nice https://as.com/ciclismo/2017/11/05/mas_ciclismo/1509919173_214892.html

Moviestar said:
Valv.Piti said:
Moviestar said:

Valverde will participate in three stage races according to his schedule: Valencia, Catalunya and Dauphine.
Landa will start in Andalucia and he will be the leader in Pais Vasco. Not much is known yet of his schedule.
Quintana will participate in the Tirreno and Catalunya and probably Dauphine/Suisse.

I have read very little so far about the team for Paris-Nice. The recent years they have given the younger riders a chance to prove themselves, like Ion, Fernandez, G.Izagirre and Soler. Maybe Fernandez/Soler/Carapaz in a free role this year.

Betancur is also scheduled to ride Paris-Nice https://as.com/ciclismo/2017/11/05/mas_ciclismo/1509919173_214892.html

You can't really go based on anything right now as far as Valverde's schedule. He's actually stated he is racing either Andalucia or Abu Dhabi, and apparently has also said maybe both. He seems to be making his schedule as the season goes on. So until Movistar actually releases the names of who is competing in each race we really won't know. I do think a lot of this is because they want to see how Valverde's knee is reacting to racing. So far so good. Tomorrow's Mallorca race, I think, will be a key factor to knowing for sure how the knee is reacting to racing.

TRENDING THREADS