• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Here's a link Movistar posted with video from the team dinner of Nairo's stage win.

https://www.facebook.com/movistarteam/videos/2734565813285634/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARDo6Y52H8c-1_gxYPsGMAlBX86zY9wiCFlZgfVCrlFW-IbWtICUvPHCfHyukaAzVYqkA--LfzmUdH_B&hc_ref=ARTmXBwIUZiRlAlZwREuEs6WqBMCedcRziXql7irxpPtHcUg78zWxMV87oNXXK7cdyM&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARCRjtiIlsklTg3bMLqfoPmuChflhMo0Mj6XjSvZOzERWZwfgALAPbLeWJLFBgU_DOf6vDyf_WgAVbp0LqDnvGzyaiPRaXL8s10av9uzR8Oj133_RIAjqrTIoatBpHEnO06Jlyvsm2-4WwIpWwpP0EDyagcInpDXK0dXUWWj_f-JtF_KvG-jev0ZaTlOsmw98XXyR5PedpZDBzjunjwZFB60TlIdl1-aiQ_Elp5HtI9aghfivN11SOzl91761umGWtd11Lnro4b_x2c3W0FfcH0enVMhEq7YojJxIxzazcoOj0E9wXrRlcJk-bTO9MPEH3wtDa4wr9OEugjhXz44l0BcLV9U-tqotSkLCyltk1Ax-ThtLEKDqXj6ZIJEl4ZP

I don't know if it's about the 3 leaders thing not working, they just don't don't have anyone good enough to compete for the win (or even podium, really) once again. Honestly, I think that's overblown anyway - Valverde isn't really a GC leader here and the other guys on the team haven't been working for him the way they have for Nairo and Landa.

Re:

jaylew said:
I don't know if it's about the 3 leaders thing not working, they just don't don't have anyone good enough to compete for the win (or even podium, really) once again. Honestly, I think that's overblown anyway - Valverde isn't really a GC leader here and the other guys on the team haven't been working for him the way they have for Nairo and Landa.
As always its totally overblown, at least on Danish TV. Its always this boring narrative no matter what, basically. Same thing with Landa, apparantly he is the most illoyal guy in the peloton despite proving quite the opposite at many times. Oh well. But when Thomas attacks Bernal, its a great tactical move (despite obviously not being that).

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
jaylew said:
As always its totally overblown, at least on Danish TV. Its always this boring narrative no matter what, basically. Same thing with Landa, apparantly he is the most illoyal guy in the peloton despite proving quite the opposite at many times. Oh well. But when Thomas attacks Bernal, its a great tactical move (despite obviously not being that).

Well at least our commentators didn't really understand Thomas chasing Bernal. However, to attack to drop Alaphilippe or test Alaphilippe they did think was a good move. Of course they also questioned what Movistar was doing, but I'm not sure anyone fully understands what they are or aren't doing.

At a convention so haven't seen the stage, but sounds like insanity due to weather. Alejandro said his goal being in the break was to help Landa on the descent. No idea where he was compared to Landa when they were near the top of them as to even if that lab was going to work or not

They're good, but not good enough again.
Landa rode the Giro, so he misses just a tiny bit that would made the difference.
Valverde did not come for the GC anyway, and I doubt even if he did that the result would be much better. Top 5 at best.
And finally - Quintana. What really was missing for this team to make complete success is strong Nairo, the one from 2013-2016.

Re:

Blanco said:
They're good, but not good enough again.
Landa rode the Giro, so he misses just a tiny bit that would made the difference.
Valverde did not come for the GC anyway, and I doubt even if he did that the result would be much better. Top 5 at best.
And finally - Quintana. What really was missing for this team to make complete success is strong Nairo, the one from 2013-2016.
I mean, compared to all the other guys who also rode the Giro before the Tour he's doing great and he has had bad luck with other riders making him crash in both races.

Seems like everyone tried for the stage win at various points but the first attempt was caught which, fair enough, and the second one was too late.

Thought Landa might've gone earlier to get past Alaphilippe on GC though he did say that the pace was too high up the climb to properly get away, in fairness.

The only thing they came to this Tour for was the team classification. Nothing else. The stage win by NQ was a bonus. For a team that came into this Tour with riders for the mountains, where this race was won, is really shocking. They look like a team in disarray with every rider for himself. They got what they deserve.

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Lequack said:
How did they ever manage to win the Giro?
Because they had the strongest rider. Have they ever not won a GT where they had the strongest rider?
2015 Tour
2017 Giro as well. Quintana only finished around 30 seconds down after riding very conservatively on stages to Bormio, Ortisei and Asiago. (Dumoulin's natural break should be counted for strength too imo)

Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Lequack said:
Because they had the strongest rider. Have they ever not won a GT where they had the strongest rider?
2015 Tour
2017 Giro as well. Quintana only finished around 30 seconds down after riding very conservatively on stages to Bormio, Ortisei and Asiago. (Dumoulin's natural break should be counted for strength too imo)
Disagree that Dumoulin wasn't the strongest guy in that Giro. TTs count for that too

Red Rick said:
Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Lequack said:
2015 Tour
Disagree that Dumoulin wasn't the strongest guy in that Giro. TTs count for that too
But the natural break took lots of his TT gain and then Quintana had much less to gain in mountains which he looked capable of but wasn't aggressive enough and didn't risk enough to gain that time.