• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Blanco said:
Escarabajo said:
LOL at Valverde blasting past his leader at the finish.

At least Movistar got the team classification.

You're right, he should've pushed him from behind then :rolleyes:
That team leader, and the other one (the little fella) should've worked for him when it came down to last 1-2 km
Landa took out his earpiece when he "attacked".

Don't know if this is sarcasm, but I actually saw that Quintana took out his already 3-4 km from the finish...

Blanco said:
Rollthedice said:
Blanco said:
Escarabajo said:
LOL at Valverde blasting past his leader at the finish.

At least Movistar got the team classification.

You're right, he should've pushed him from behind then :rolleyes:
That team leader, and the other one (the little fella) should've worked for him when it came down to last 1-2 km
Landa took out his earpiece when he "attacked".

Don't know if this is sarcasm, but I actually saw that Quintana took out his already 3-4 km from the finish...

It's not sarcasm. I saw it.

I mean the chaos is legendary. But the willingness to take it on should be as well. Say your jokes about clashing leaders and team classifications, but I really do think as a team they don't settle for second. They do their best to get first, however badly they mess it up.

And kudos to Soler and Amador in particular. De Plus, Poels and Gaudu make get the recognition but those two worked harder throughout the Tour than pretty much anyone, however fruitless their labor seemed to be at times.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Damn I wish more teams were like Movistar was in the past Tour
They have been the only team consistently to animate the race. Sky did it on on occasion and won the race, FDJ has done it to a certain extend a few times with Reichenbach-Gaudu-Pinot, dont really know about Lotto. So yes, it makes for good racing. Dno about the intrigues, always thought it to be super overrated, but today didnt look good at all. Dodge tactics to say the least.

Libertine Seguros said:
Red Rick said:
They should have a seperate jersey for "best Movistar rider" instead of a team GC.
They do, it's white with blue, red, black, green and gold bands.
Haha, legendary quote

The difference between the results in the Giro and tour says it all. Both GTs they lost a load of time before the mountains. but the critical feature was that Ineos and Visma had no controlling teams in the Giro and so it was more tactical. So even if there was a tactical mistake the Giro was more forgiving that the TDF. The same Landa was just off by seconds for the podium in the Giro.

Libertine Seguros said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I think in theory they were actually the strongest mountain team. How they only managed to finish in these GC positions is your typical Movistar tour
They've got it so that on any given day they have somebody in the top 3 strongest climbers, but never one rider who is that consistently.
Exactly, so its hard to really blame them. You have Quintana looking world class one day and cat 1 racer the next, Landa was flying one day as well. Its really hard to see them advance further unless you race the two stages shortened in full length, then chances are Alaphilippe would crack even more.

Seems to be a Unzué vs Acquadro war

Unzué said he won't take any Acquadro riders on his team.

Acquadro responds with: "Unzué is going to suffer from it. I'm taking some of the best young Spaniards, the ones he wants, and they're going somewhere else, like Óscar Rodríguez, Carlos Rodríguez, Alex Aranburu, Sergio Samitier..."

Acquadro also said that he/Carapaz didn't tell Unzué that he was riding the Dutch criterium where he got injured...

https://elpais.com/deportes/2019/08/24/actualidad/1566674751_856479.html

Probably sick of Acquadro offering him riders and then just feeding back and placing them all with Sky/Ineos over and over. Óscar Rodríguez and Sergio Samitier could be interesting, however, seeing as there's split loyalties as obviously if Acquadro has brought them within his roster they've got that loyalty, but simultaneously they came through the Abarcá feeders.

I'm guessing Unzue is sick and tired of the agent using them to get base offers and going to other teams and likely not negotiating in good faith. If the agent only has 1 or 2 teams that will work with him he's going to lose riders because he won't be able to place them. Also if Spaniards know the Spanish WT team won't deal with a specific agent it's likely that agent will have a harder time getting younger Spanish riders to sign with him.
This also may explain why several other of the young riders on Movistar's current roster haven't been resigned and likely with this information won't be resigned. They are going to lose WT contracts simply because of who their agent is.

I'm not sure if movistar will survive to valverde's retirement

Why wouldn't they? They have sponsorship through 2021. They will have a very young team next year and there are still plenty of young rider (and older riders) out there with other agents or possibly without an agent at all. Other teams that have blacklisted this agent are doing just fine. Just look at Quickstep. The riders who are with this agent are the ones who are going to start suffering as there just aren't any spots for them because teams won't deal with the agent.

TRENDING THREADS