• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My reading is that Movistar are shifting their focus away from GC to more Classics - We have bemoaned their lack of rouleurs so you can kill two birds with one stone with more emphasis on classics - I'll be interested to see what they do in this transfer period.

My reading is that Movistar are shifting their focus away from GC to more Classics - We have bemoaned their lack of rouleurs so you can kill two birds with one stone with more emphasis on classics - I'll be interested to see what they do in this transfer period.
All of their biggest talent is still climbing talent though. Its really just some, dare I say, pretty random signings from abroad which can race some of the smaller races they really do not care that much about and hope to grow them into good domestiques for the bigger races and can make some results here and there in one day classics and smaller stage races up north.

Reactions: Koronin
I would be shocked if that was their intention. In the whole history there always have been more emphasis in GT's. Even with Valverde flourishing in the Ardenes.

I am not saying that Classics will be more important than GT's - There are three parts to a team which are climber types, classics riders and sprinters - It's tough for a team to cover all three areas, though teams should be able to cover two areas - In the case of Movistar( take away Valverde ) they've always been strong in GT's but need to get stronger in Classics or sprinting - It gives the team more balance and of course possibly wins.

They did say they are planning on focusing a bit more on the classics. However, I think it's more just hoping that some of the young non Spanish riders they signed can develop into good classics type riders. I also wouldn't be surprised if they are also hoping one of the young climbing talents they signed can be developed into good one day hilly riders.

Let's see if the young signings from last season show some abilities in the classics and they can provide real support for Cortina. Otherwise, this will look like they've got Cortina just because he's the best Spanish young talent available whose agent is not Acquadro.

On before hand i thought no Movi would finish within the first 20 today, but especially Mas surprised me. I'd expect him to drop earlier, but he showed some resilience today. You can't blame Valverde really, it's in line with his mountain performances so far this season. Hopefully he has something left in the tank for the Vuelta.
As block (Mas-Valverde-Pedrero-Verona) they were operating a bit better than in Burgos.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So far it seems like the season too much for Valverde. Never thought that moment would come. Let's hope for him he can at least shine somewhere this season.
I think he'll be fine by the end of the Tour, in full shape for Ardennes and Vuelta. He's getting older obviously and he's not able to reach his top form from day one, like he used to, now it takes time. Just like last year...

So far it seems like the season too much for Valverde. Never thought that moment would come. Let's hope for him he can at least shine somewhere this season.

He'll be alright for what he's looking for which is after the Tour. He's building form. He said yesterday he's better than he was at Burgos. Also remember he didn't do much training during the lock down. He said he was doing just enough to hold an off season base, which is a lot less than many other riders were doing. He's using the races to build form. Yes age is catching up to him. However, he's still shown he is capable of being up there on certain types of stages. I wouldn't worry about him.

Enric Mas, on the other hand, is supposed to be targeting the Tour.

Both Mas and Valverde seemed to go to the finish with decent speed.
But what the hell is Soler doing??

Soler's main goals are T-A and the Giro. Last time Movistar said anything about calendars Soler isn't going to the Tour. Which is why I'm not currently worried about him. If he's not better next month, then we have a big issue.

Valverde said in an interview yesterday that his sensations (form) is better here than it was at Burgos and he's happy with how he's building his form.

Although I guess we also need to give Mas and Valverde a bit of slack as they were in countries with full lock downs (Mas was in Andorra, Valverde obviously in Spain). So they are going to be behind riders who could be out on the road.

The number of disappointing/disappointed riders at the Dauphine is large but you got to say for teams as a whole Movistar are up there

Obviously Jumbo V are streaks ahead of everyone with DQ, Astana and Bora to the fore
Trek arent too bad for them
And UAE and Bahrain are putting in a good show

On the otherhand Ineos are struggling for a change
EF (excluding Martinez) look very poor
Sunweb and Ag2R not great
CCC well ?

But Movistar are having a terrible time
Soler couldn't hold on in the break today and look where Mas finished
Valverde is not young but he is struggling in a way we havent seen in an age

what kind of training have they had in te last months ?

There are 3 non world tour teams at the pointy end everyday (Cofidis, Hotelsc& BBs (?) and Quintana's team) but some notable WT teams missing

The number of disappointing/disappointed riders at the Dauphine is large but you got to say for teams as a whole Movistar are up there

Obviously Jumbo V are streaks ahead of everyone with DQ, Astana and Bora to the fore

CCC well ?

There are 3 non world tour teams at the pointy end everyday (Cofidis, Hotelsc& BBs (?) and Quintana's team) but some notable WT teams missing

I have wanted to do a similar post. So thanks for the list. ;)
And I agree with your rating.

Regarding CCC I feel almost bad when I see their riders pushing for it, because you know they are probably fighting for a contract.

CCC well ?

Believe it or not, Cofidis are a WT team!

TRENDING THREADS