• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think they’d both test positive for hair regrowth products this year. The hairlines look fuller this year.

:laughing: You're likely correct. Wouldn't be the first time for Valverde. That seems to happen every few years. I thought when he won the Worlds he'd finally given up on his hair, but it appears he hasn't yet. Mas also looks like he has more hair this year. Guess they should be happy that isn't banned. :laughing:

:laughing: You're likely correct. Wouldn't be the first time for Valverde. That seems to happen every few years. I thought when he won the Worlds he'd finally given up on his hair, but it appears he hasn't yet. Mas also looks like he has more hair this year. Guess they should be happy that isn't banned. :laughing:
I'm starting to think that their performance is inversely correlated to their hair growth.

Only one solution. Valverde wants his hair back. VDP needs better teammates. Alpecin can fix both issues.

Only Valverde, Mas, and Cataldo avoided the tarmac. Soler bruised his knee. JJ Rojas took the worst of it.

Apparently Erviti went down 3 times although didn't get anything more than minor bumps and bruises from it.

Hopefully all their riders will be alright. It sounds like Rojas hurt his back. Hopefully Soler's knee injury isn't bad.

On twitter Valverde said that there were places on the course that it was almost impossible to stay on the bike.

Reactions: perico
Here are the comments from Soler on Movistar's website. Sounds like the team is going to be alright at least from the crashes from stage one.

After a blow like yesterday’s, with those two crashes -one into a downhill portion and another one, the hardest, with 3km to go-, your spirit struggles, and you need to get over any doubts about your condition as soon as possible. There was no better way to bounce back than giving it a try. My knee was hurting quite a bit in the morning, but as we got into racing, it became less of a problem, and I completed the stage with almost no pain. The pace was high all day long, and that energy I lost from yesterday’s crashes might have played a factor in the end, but even after that and despite losing a minute at the finish, I’m happy with how things are going right now.

I’ve tried to attack at the end of the climb, thinking I could be close to Hirschi, Alaphilippe and Yates and bridge back later on, but the pace was so high, both at the front and at the bunch, and I couldn’t make it to the leading group. I lost my position into the downhill, I lost a couple of meters and once we got to more open roads near the finish, I wasn’t able to get back to Alejandro and Enric.

“The team-mates did really well today, with Nelson supporting Alejandro after that puncture, and we’re happy with how we did today, despite feeling dead tired in my case
(smiles). Let’s see how we do in the next few days – Rojas is the one struggling the most after yesterday’s blows; Imanol, Nelson and Carlos are doing better. I think we’ll be able to recover and reach our best at the key part of the race.”

Looks like the boys have found some sort of form. Mas looked very strong on the last climb. Valverde was up their in the sprint and Soler put in a little dig.
They looked much better than in previous races, I guess we'll see clearer picture in stage 4. Valverde though was not up there in the sprint, the old Bala would've won that sprint. I guess he lost the speed he had, especially on the flat, although to be honest he lost some precious energy before the climb.

They looked much better than in previous races, I guess we'll see clearer picture in stage 4. Valverde though was not up there in the sprint, the old Bala would've won that sprint. I guess he lost the speed he had, especially on the flat, although to be honest he lost some precious energy before the climb.
He had to chase back on at high speed. Could’ve killed his punch.

An explanation for the poor results of the team could be find in the new material they are using since this year. After 37 years Movistar switched from Campagnolo to Sram. A lot of riders would have complained about the 10 speed-cassette. They would get pain in their legs as the new gear wouldn't work as comfortable as they were used with the gears of Campagnolo. The coaches also observed a lower frequency with the pedalling.

Valverde would have switched to a traditional set-up already (53/39). I don't think Movistar will prolong with Sram..

An explanation for the poor results of the team could be find in the new material they are using since this year. After 37 years Movistar switched from Campagnolo to Sram. A lot of riders would have complained about the 10 speed-cassette. They would get pain in their legs as the new gear wouldn't work as comfortable as they were used with the gears of Campagnolo. The coaches also observed a lower frequency with the pedalling.

Valverde would have switched to a traditional set-up already (53/39). I don't think Movistar will prolong with Sram..

I really hope they switch to either Shimano or back to Campy after this year. The experiment with SRAM is so not working.

Before the lock down Valverde had threatened not to race UAE if they didn't get him his normal gearing and then showed up with that monoplate to prove a point.

During the lock down it appears the riders got new gearing from SRAM.

"****ing SRAM!"

How many Pro teams are better than Movistar now? Arkea-Samic, probably some of the other French or Italian teams.
Obviously Alpecin-Fenix. Their 3rd tier cyclocross riders win national road race championships. Movistar celebrates when their best rider finishes in the top 25 of a 35-rider sprint.

Edit: I retract this nonsense. Although true, it's completely meaningless now that they signed Van Vleuten.

Last edited:
I also wonder how much of this can be put on the SRAM gearing story. Neither Valverde nor Más were anywhere near the front at any point of the climb, i was actually fearing a worse outcome than this. Not a good outlook for whats to come.

Reactions: jaylew

TRENDING THREADS