• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not on the descent, at the top of Marie Blanque he was with Valverde and Yates already. But overall, he doesn't look bad to me, he'll be stronger in the Alps. Valverde also, he was stronger of the two yesterday, he drove that group to the line yesterday.
He was detached on the ascent. He dropped back to Valverde on the descent. Mas was with Mollema until Mollema jumped over and fell behind the Martin group. How he managed that I don’t know unless he blew up. It was confusing to follow.

Movistar the most missing team in the Tour are wining the team classification

Says alot about the team classification competition
I think Movistar is doing semi-OK for the resources they have. Verona did a very good stage a couple days ago and Mas is looking decent. The only problem is the one they always have - Valverde riding anonymously to an obscure GC placing instead of losing time early and trying to win a stage or two. How much of that is due to Movistar's focus on the team classification and how much is due to Valverde's inability to let go are anyone's guess, but personally I think it's 50-50.

I think Movistar is doing semi-OK for the resources they have. Verona did a very good stage a couple days ago and Mas is looking decent. The only problem is the one they always have - Valverde riding anonymously to an obscure GC placing instead of losing time early and trying to win a stage or two. How much of that is due to Movistar's focus on the team classification and how much is due to Valverde's inability to let go are anyone's guess, but personally I think it's 50-50.

This year it's more a combination of Valverde's mentality that just won't allow him to intentionally lose time for any reason, even though he could and then go stage hunting. The other issue this year is that Valverde has decided and thus taken it upon himself, that his role at this tour is to be at Mas' side for as long as possible and do whatever he can to help Mas.

A classic ''Soler'' today. Feeling overconfidence, attacking multiple times and an empty engine at the end. Not very tactical, i can't imagine an Arrieta or especially Lastras (who was a crack in these kind of breaks) urge him to attack so many times at the strangest places, perhaps not in line with the teamorders?
Positive side, it looks like he is finding his legs again. The team also seems to be better day by day.

Reactions: perico
Both Erviti and Soler said after today's stage that they and the entire team are finally starting to find their legs and some form. Erviti said they are finally getting to a point for the first time this season in which they are actually competitive. It's looking more and more like Soler is going to have enough form to go stage hunting and Mas does have a chance for a GC top 10. Valverde's form should be there for races after the Tour.
I almost think Movistar with this Tour is a great example of racing yourself into form.

Over in Tirreno-Adriatico Carretero won the KOM jersey to wear tomorrow.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Overall a good day. I love to watch Soler ride. He might be a big engine TT style rider but he just does not give a f—k. Mas and Valverde are improving each day with Enric now into the Top 10. He’s still not there yet but he has a chance to climb higher this week. Get a Top 10 and come out with all guns blazing at La Vuelta. Great teamwork all around.

Overall a good day. I love to watch Soler ride. He might be a big engine TT style rider but he just does not give a f—k. Mas and Valverde are improving each day with Enric now into the Top 10. He’s still not there yet but he has a chance to climb higher this week. Get a Top 10 and come out with all guns blazing at La Vuelta. Great teamwork all around.

Agreed. Soler is a fun rider to watch when he's got decent form. I'm thinking he might be better as a stage hunter than a GC rider. I think his riding style fits that better. Yes, Valverde and Enric are getting better. Enric said today that he's encouraged by both is progress, but also by how much he's learning from his veteran teammates. Interestingly he said that this year was never supposed to be more than a learning year, so for fans to be give them a little time. He said that although he's their main GC rider for this race that Valverde is baring the weight of all the leadership responsibilities so that he has the chance to fully learn what he needs to learn. One thing I'm seeing from Mas is that he has the intangible leadership qualities.

Cataldo, Verona and Oliveira for the break tomorrow imo. At least one should succeed. Mas indeed looks better and better, I think he's top 10 for sure. Longer climbs should suit him even more. What I saw today is that Bala looked fairly fresh at the top, going at his own rhythm. That's a good sign. He could try some late attacks or maybe even breaks if possible in the 3rd week.

Makes me wonder a bit though why Mas wasn't able to time his form a bit better/earlier. But he does indeed look like he is getting stronger.

The entire team has been a bit off since the restarted season. There are multiple reasons for that. One is that at least a portion of their riders did not believe they'd actually be racing again this year, so they were not training to race.

Very positive stage for the Movi's. We already saw that they went better by day and this is a conformation of that observation. Mas currently 8th and 1.30 behind the podiumcontenders. With the growing curve and some surprises in the third week, the podium could be possible but let's not get carried away. At this rhytym even Valverde could finish in the top 10.

Soler is in at 21st and...

in the best GT performance of his career so far, Carlos Verona is up to 25th. I remember he was considered to be a GT prospect but has been pretty poor up until now. He was able to hangs with the leaders longer than Bernal and Nairo today.

TRENDING THREADS