• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Mas does a decent tt tomorrow I believe in a top 3. He's been looking sharp and alert so far which is promising and he seems to only improve as the GT goes on.

He seems to have good recovery abilities. That really helps in a Grand Tour. He also said he's coming into the Tour this year a lot better than last year and I think that has shown. He really needs to do a decent TT tomorrow. I agree if he can he has a shot at the podium

Reactions: Sandisfan
The same interview where he said he's planning on racing next year, he also said he's planning on finishing the Tour before leaving for Tokyo. So yeah, we can be angry about that.

Oh, my anger is already well prepared. Unzue was talking about Valverde finishing in the days leading up to the Tour.
But Valverde won't have trouble getting into a break in the upcoming stages. UAE won't give him 20 minutes but they're not going to chase down a break just because Valverde at 10 min+ down is in it.

Reactions: Blanco
Adam Yates this year, Mas in 2018, but you are correct in most cases.

You are correct that there are rare occasions someone else actually targets it, but Valverde actively targets it every year. (Although I guess the Spanish Pro Conti teams target it every year as well, but not sure they count.)

Oh, my anger is already well prepared. Unzue was talking about Valverde finishing in the days leading up to the Tour.
But Valverde won't have trouble getting into a break in the upcoming stages. UAE won't give him 20 minutes but they're not going to chase down a break just because Valverde at 10 min+ down is in it.

I am not happy with his entire going to the Tour in the first place. This entire year he keeps changing his mind on basically everything.

Yeah, at 10+ minutes he should be free to go into the break if he wants to. I suspect the most UAE and others would give them a leash of possibly up to 6ish minutes.

Reactions: joe_papp and perico

Here's the interview I mentioned before. Obviously it's in Spanish.

The cycling fever website has been unusually slow with their transfer rumors this year. I’ve seen a lot of rumors in other places and like it was mentioned here earlier, Unzue is taking riders from Aquadro again. I checked and Oscar Rodriguez is out of a contract with Astana this year. Anyone heard anything? He’s put up some pretty decent results this last month despite not going to the TDF.

On paper it was fine tactics by Movistar today as they were gapping Roglic. However, they show they have zero ambition for overall victory and nobody who holds such ambition should ever ride for them. Particularly as they also showed a willingness to hunt down one of their ex-riders at the same time as destroying their own hope's of victory. I guess the old habits of the master tacticians at Moivstar of chasing down their own riders die hard and apply even after you've left their team.

This was possibly the only stage in the race where Pogacar will be so isolated due to the breakaway. He could have been left 10mins down on GC or exhausted, but we will have to settle for 5 mins down and fresh as a daisy.

But people should respect Movistar's decision to take action which has the clear consequence of protecting the isolated defending champion and get on with their lives. Mas has the chance to be the new Kloden and anonymously acquire a string of glorious top 10 finishes and who are we to question such prioritisation by Movistar?

On paper it was fine tactics by Movistar today as they were gapping Roglic. However, they show they have zero ambition for overall victory and nobody who holds such ambition should ever ride for them. Particularly as they also showed a willingness to hunt down one of their ex-riders at the same time as destroying their own hope's of victory.

I don't understand how letting Carapaz ride away means Movistar would be trying to win/not destroying their own chances.

TRENDING THREADS