• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Would anyone who defended Movistar chasing down Carapaz, thus keeping Pogacar nice and fresh, care to explain and defend Movistar doing nothing to limit time loss to G Martin yesterday?

If not, I can only assume the team are every bit as petty, vindictive or stupid as I thought to waste resources to punish an old teammate at the same time as helping out their number 1 rival for overall victory.

Enric Kloden has dropped to 9th and Movistar aren't even dominating the thrilling teams competition this year. I usually love watching Movistar and am entertained by their unpredictability (sometimes good, sometimes bewildering) but this Carapaz incident really needs to go down in the annals of TdF history as something especially cretinous.
Yeah, I will. Why the hell would Movistar chase before EF, Jumbo and Ineos, and even before Astana and Bora?!!!
Martin was a podium threat yesterday, those who occupy that places should work.
Why don't you, for instance, explain Ineos doing nothing?

Reactions: gunara
Mas looked fairly comfortable, if he had rode tempo on the front he could have put time into O'Connor and Kelderman as well. I think the crash on Tignes stage is responsible for the Ventoux disappointment which will probably cost him the podium. Likely finishing position is 5th again, he is Landa with less climbing ability but far more luck.

Mas looked fairly comfortable, if he had rode tempo on the front he could have put time into O'Connor and Kelderman as well. I think the crash on Tignes stage is responsible for the Ventoux disappointment which will probably cost him the podium. Likely finishing position is 5th again, he is Landa with less climbing ability but far more luck.
If you take away the time loss at Ventoux he'd still be behind Uran, Vingegaard and Carapaz. And the first two are much better at the ITT.
If he finishes 5th he's one step below Landa. Literally.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Yeah, I will. Why the hell would Movistar chase before EF, Jumbo and Ineos, and even before Astana and Bora?!!!
Martin was a podium threat yesterday, those who occupy that places should work.
Why don't you, for instance, explain Ineos doing nothing?

Because Ineos didnt destroy the only challenge to Pogacar in a crappy, seemingly vindictive use of energy like Movistar did in the effort I am drawing a direct comparison with. Any defence of Movistar desperately chasing down Carapaz is inconsistent with them so casually allowed G Martin (who was one place behind Mas on GC I believe, gain minutes on Mas).

Of course Movistar would have been stupid to chase down G Martin, but it would have been less stupid than chasing down Carapaz was. Unless their motivation is spite, rather than winning a race.

Because Ineos didnt destroy the only challenge to Pogacar in a crappy, seemingly vindictive use of energy like Movistar did in the effort I am drawing a direct comparison with. Any defence of Movistar desperately chasing down Carapaz is inconsistent with them so casually allowed G Martin (who was one place behind Mas on GC I believe, gain minutes on Mas).

Of course Movistar would have been stupid to chase down G Martin, but it would have been less stupid than chasing down Carapaz was. Unless their motivation is spite, rather than winning a race.

It is far easier to gain time back on G.Martin than Carapaz, they did the logical thing, it makes no sense to give Carapaz free time.

What challenge to Pogacar?! He's 5.30 behind, quite a challenge he is :rolleyes:. Carapaz is a direct rival for podium, of course they will chase when they can.

The performance of Mas is confusing me, he seemed to be back on track on Sunday but now he is getting out-climbed by Bilbao, Teuns, O'Connor etc in week 3. He actually managed to limit his losses well so maybe he missed a feed but really he should have been making up time now.

La Vuelta surely can't be worse for Movistar but Mas will probably be tired and Lopez not having a bad day seems unlikely given how many GC days are there so hopes rest on the old man I guess.

The performance of Mas is confusing me, he seemed to be back on track on Sunday but now he is getting out-climbed by Bilbao, Teuns, O'Connor etc in week 3. He actually managed to limit his losses well so maybe he missed a feed but really he should have been making up time now.

La Vuelta surely can't be worse for Movistar but Mas will probably be tired and Lopez not having a bad day seems unlikely given how many GC days are there so hopes rest on the old man I guess.
Mas did finish 5th in the Tour and Vuelta 6 and 3.5 mins from 1st. So he can compete in both depending on form.

Mas did finish 5th in the Tour and Vuelta 6 and 3.5 mins from 1st. So he can compete in both depending on form.

The problem with Mas is that he is no rider really competing for wins - at least not yet.

Quintana, Landa and Carapaz all had the climbing ability and aggressive style of riding with which they could at least fight for stage victories in the mountains, even if they were too inconsistent at times or too bad time trialists to fight for overall victory. I think the same is true for Lopez, even if he hasn't shown it in this Tour.

Valverde had the quality to fight for both overall success (at least in the Vuelta) and stage victories due to his extreme consistency, but also due to his punch.

Mas, on the other hand, is also very consistent, but he misses that certain something to be a serious competitor for overall victory. At the same time, he is neither a very aggressive or explosive rider, so it is very hard for him to challenge stage victories. In this context, also his consistency is sometimes detrimental because he usually is too close to the leaders to be allowed to go on a long-range attack.

The problem with Mas is that he is no rider really competing for wins - at least not yet.

Quintana, Landa and Carapaz all had the climbing ability and aggressive style of riding with which they could at least fight for stage victories in the mountains, even if they were too inconsistent at times or too bad time trialists to fight for overall victory. I think the same is true for Lopez, even if he hasn't shown it in this Tour.

Valverde had the quality to fight for both overall success (at least in the Vuelta) and stage victories due to his extreme consistency, but also due to his punch.

Mas, on the other hand, is also very consistent, but he misses that certain something to be a serious competitor for overall victory. At the same time, he is neither a very aggressive or explosive rider, so it is very hard for him to challenge stage victories. In this context, also his consistency is sometimes detrimental because he usually is too close to the leaders to be allowed to go on a long-range attack.

His consistency has been non-existent in this Tour which has made things worse, off previous performance he should be at worst 5th and probably 4th.

I hope they manage to do something in the Vuelta or else Netflix will bin the third season.

Except in Spain it's part of Movistar's internet streaming and Netflix is just picking it up for outside of Spain. It has nothing to do with Netflix other than they are making it available for those who don't live in Spain.

TRENDING THREADS