• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lopez won’t win a GT. Mas might podium a future GT if the stars align.

Mas is the best GC rider at Movistar currently; that’s not a situation which is going to win Movistar a lot of races. Their recruitment over the next couple of seasons will be key; having Valverde has guaranteed them a number of classic and stage wins every year for so long, and that will be hard to replace in the coming seasons if they plan to stay among the top tier of World Tour teams.

I have to say, though, in relation to the Tour just ending, at least they pivoted a little and we’re willing to send Erviti, Cortina and Valverde after stage wins. If any of those 3 had worked out a little different, we might be looking at their situation a little different right now.

Last edited:
Eh, I wouldn't read too much about Movistar's future from this tour. They had 2 leaders, one of whom wasn't functional. They never spent time controlling the race and did occasionally get riders into breaks. But they were limited on what they could do with Soler out and both Lopez and Verona suffering through the full 3 weeks. All 3 would have been potential stage hunters in the last 2 weeks.

In reality, there are 4 elite GT riders... Pogacar, Bernal, Roglic and Carapaz. Those guys can be expected to fight for the win of any GT. Beyond that, everyone else is no different from Mas or Lopez.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If they actually manage to get Sosa it would be a great deal for them.
He can be a Poels/Kuss type of climbing superdom and do well in some shorter stage races with no TT, like Burgos. There have been rumours about them wanting to sign Ulissi and Conti, but no idea if that's legit or just Beppe Conti talk. Both of them would be good stagehunters and climbing doms for them.
Movistar would probably get Ulissi to finally ride more than one gt per year.

Reactions: perico
If they are talking with Aquadro clients again, then I don’t see why they haven’t been after Oscar Rodriguez. He’s not going to win any GTs anytime soon, but he is out of contract with Astana and could be as good of a domestique as Verona has become (TDF crashes this year not withstanding).

Mas will likely podium if he continues like this. Lopez and Valverde also at a good level.

Or why not win it, he's looking as good as he's ever been in a GT. Roglic is clearly the strongest up to now, but it's also entirely a different season for the Slovenian compared to his previous Vuelta wins, and we've seen strongest riders faded before in the Vueltas. Going to be hard, Mas might fade even worse himself, but he can dream.

He looks very strong. At least as good as 2018. Hopefully this is the next step for him. From what I have gathered, a lot of his issues have been confidence in his abilities. The talent is there, no question.

We can hope his lack of confidence in his abilities isn't as bad as Valverde's.

Mas is definitely looking strong at this Vuelta. He has a great shot at the podium if not the overall win. Movistar looks to have a strong team.

So the plan was to contest the stage with Valverde.

“Our plan was letting a small breakaway go and then try to control the race for me to contest the stage, but I suffered a crash early on, I had so much pain to my neck and that’s why we didn’t pull from too early, because I wanted to see how I was really feeling. There were some riders braking in front of me, I was able to avoid them on time but then, when I was almost still, some rider hit me from behind and I got stuck with a bike from a Trek rider, I think it was Brambilla. It really hurt so much, my neck was cracking, but it seemed like it was a minor thing in the end… Near the finish, the team rode so well – winds were strong and it was dangerous, yet they drove the pace and the group perfectly. We’d of course be closer to the win, but we did well today. We’re still the three of us up there; having myself there always gives us an extra chance. Tomorrow’s stage has nothing to do with this, though today’s was already tough because of the wind.”

Maybe he just did not have the legs, maybe he was still hampered a bit by his crash at the early part of the stage.

Do we know why he was so piss poor in Tokyo?

I've read something in the Spanish press (not sure if I can find it again). If I remember correctly it said that due to the positive COVID case with one of their physios or mechanics there was a lot of uncertainty if the Spanish team would even be allowed to start. So they had really stressful nights before the race.
And then, according to some rider (I think it was one of the Izagirres), Valverde told his teammates already before the start that he wasn't really feeling well.

First time that Mas has shown the ability to live up to the hefty expectations of 2018 and all the Contador comments, and hes definitely stronger than in 2018 right now. I said 3 days ago I would be disappointed if he didnt top-3 and now I will be disappointed if he isnt able to either win or push Roglic very hard in the third week simply because I know he can do it in this shape. Im close to convinced he will be stronger than Roglic on Gamoniteiru and thats THE stage to win the Vuelta.

Very hyped by this result!

First time that Mas has shown the ability to live up to the hefty expectations of 2018 and all the Contador comments, and hes definitely stronger than in 2018 right now. I said 3 days ago I would be disappointed if he didnt top-3 and now I will be disappointed if he isnt able to either win or push Roglic very hard in the third week simply because I know he can do it in this shape. Im close to convinced he will be stronger than Roglic on Gamoniteiru and thats THE stage to win the Vuelta.

Very hyped by this result!

Really sad that Valverde is out because they now only have Verona as support for Mas and López in the later parts of the difficult stages.

Well but they do have two of the strongest three riders of the race, it seems. How often do we honestly see that in a GT where it's not capitalised upon to getting the win?

Ullrich and Kloden say hello. So do the 2009 Schleck brothers. Hell Jumbo probably had 2 of the 3 strongest at the TDF this year, and I still doubt whether Roglic could’ve beaten Tadej if he hadn’t crashed.

TRENDING THREADS