• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Rabobank Wheelsets?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Just curious, anybody knows what wheelsets does Team Rabobank use? I thought it was DuraAce WH-7850-C24-TU, but it seems that the Hubs are different than 2009 DuraAce Wheelsets.

A.W

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
wangsanegara said:
Hi,

Just curious, anybody knows what wheelsets does Team Rabobank use? I thought it was DuraAce WH-7850-C24-TU, but it seems that the Hubs are different than 2009 DuraAce Wheelsets.

A.W

A pic or link to a pic would be nice. :)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Menchov was using the 7801 c24-tu. They have the nipples at the hubs.
The later 7850 c24-tu's moved the nipples out to the rims.
Either set is very nice.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Advancedone said:
I'm pretty sure Menchov was using the 7801 c24-tu. They have the nipples at the hubs.
The later 7850 c24-tu's moved the nipples out to the rims.
Either set is very nice.

Any reason why a sponsored Team such as Rabobank still using the 7801, instead on 7850?

A.W

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Not sure on that one.
I had read that the team mechanics didn't like the nipples at the hub on the 7801's because they were harder to true if it was needed.
Nipples at the hub should be slightly lighter (from a rotational perspective) and slightly more aerodynamic than exposed nipples at the rims, however the difference would have to be marginal. My guess is that Menchov likes them so he gets them. I like mine, stiff, light and very aero for a lower profile rim.

Here's a link

http://media.cyclingnews.com//2009/06/09/2/bettiniphoto_0039332_1_full_600.jpg

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Advancedone said:
Not sure on that one.
I had read that the team mechanics didn't like the nipples at the hub on the 7801's because they were harder to true if it was needed.
Nipples at the hub should be slightly lighter (from a rotational perspective) and slightly more aerodynamic than exposed nipples at the rims, however the difference would have to be marginal. My guess is that Menchov likes them so he gets them. I like mine, stiff, light and very aero for a lower profile rim.

Here's a link

http://media.cyclingnews.com//2009/06/09/2/bettiniphoto_0039332_1_full_600.jpg

I really want to get the WH-7850, but curious as why does Menchov using the 7801?
So, Advancedone, are you using the 7801? Any complain?

Thanks,
A.W

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I have the 7801's.
As I said I love them. They are not the lightest wheels, not the most Aero, however they are a very good balance between the two. They are also one of the stiffest wheels around.
They are my favourite wheelset, they just feel right in use. Plus DA hubs are some of the smoothest going around. You can also pick them up for very good prices if you look around.
Here's a link to a wheeltest: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15441821.html

You'll notice that they come out near the top in all catagories.

I see that the 7850's are almost 100grms lighter than the 7801's which may explain why Menchov was using them. I have exactly the same bike and wheels that Menchov was using in what looks like the same size and my bike comes in at 6.8kgs with those wheels on, so maybe he ran the 7801's to keep to the 6.8 rule without having to add weight, just a geuss.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Advancedone,

Your argument really does make sense. So, you are using the new TCR Advanced SL? I'm looking for that frame but it seems nobody has it yet in my country, so I bought the TCR Advanced.

Since the road condition is not that clean, I am thinking of getting the WH-7850-C24-TL. And I planning to use Tubeless tires. Any insight on that particular wheelset?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
wangsanegara said:
Hi,

A.W

After viewing and comparing I think they have the next generation of that wheel that will be out for consumers in 2010. The front hub looks alot like the rear hub in spoke mounting on the hub. Looks cool, I wonder how much heavier it is though as there is more spoke and the hub definitely has more material to hold the spoke.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
wangsanegara said:
Advancedone,

Your argument really does make sense. So, you are using the new TCR Advanced SL? I'm looking for that frame but it seems nobody has it yet in my country, so I bought the TCR Advanced.

Since the road condition is not that clean, I am thinking of getting the WH-7850-C24-TL. And I planning to use Tubeless tires. Any insight on that particular wheelset?

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Advanced, from what I've read and from friends who have them there are a very accomplished bike.

My bike came with the 7850-c24-TL's. I sold them to my friend as I have a powertap wheelset I train with. He loves them, light and stiff enough for him.
The only thing you'll find is they are not tubeless compatible. The Giant website lists them as tubeless but they definitely aren't. The Dura Ace SL's are tubeless so if that is important to you you may need to get them. They are also fantastic. Another friend has them and having used all manner of wheels likes these the most.
I'm a big fan of the Shimano wheels. At the DA level they have beautiful hubs, are reasonably light and run very high spoke tensions that build a stiff wheel that is still comfortable. The only other pre built wheel I'd rate as highly were the Campy Neutrons, they too had a similar build with nice hubs and thin bladed spokes. I'm not a fan of fat bladed spokes, I just don't see the point.

Hand built wheels are always a good option, you can choose components based on what you are looking for (weight, durability) and are easy to service. As you are in Indonesia you might like to try soul bikes http://bikesoul.com/2009/
They are in Singapore and make very good handbuilt wheels at a good price and there service is good from what I hear. I've never used them but have heard plenty of good reports.

All the best with the wheel hunting.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
wangsanegara said:

The Carbon C24's are tubular rims. You are thinking of the Scandium 7850-SL's which are clinchers and allow you to run tubeless tires.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I believe that there are two new Shimano wheel sets coming out later in the year(?) that Rabobank & few are select Pro's have been using, check out this Paris-Nice as there are some better shots og them in use!

TRENDING THREADS