• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky June line-ups

A

Anonymous

Giro Squad

Bradley Wiggins - no races in june
Steve Cummings - no races in june
Morris Possoni - no races in june
Dario Cioni - no races in june
Chris Sutton - Ster Elektrotoer
Greg Henderson - Ster Elektrotoer
Matt Hayman - Ster Elektrotoer
Michael Barry - no races in june
Chris Froome - no races in june

Basically the entire giro squad has been placed non-active because of drug allegations except for CJ, Hendon and Matty ;)

Personally I think MB should be kept out of the limelight for a month or two, but the lack of races is (pretty much) the same for all the riders who rode the giro. Barry had a very busy early season, most of the classics, tirreno etc and has come to break time.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm. I think that conspiracy is unfounded. theyre just giving him a rest. Btw do you think sky will take any sprinters to the tour or be all for wiggins. And Gerrans, Asle arverson ??

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
euanli said:
I think they will try and have EBH fit for the Tour

he would normally have targeted the points competition and a stage win or two,

is it still possible for him to get back to where he was in time for the tour? I highly doubt it to be honest. but he will still be the closest they've got to someone who can win a bunch sprint

i assume he will still be in the squad and will try to snatch a stage.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it's correct, but I read that Wiggins is trying to have the same June as last year hoping for the same results, with a possible go at the National Championship near the end of the month. FWIW

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
If Wiggins does the same June as last year he wil rider the Beaumont Trophy (British Premier Calender event) on 12th June and the national TT championships.

With regards to sprinters at the tour, EBH will be the man for Sky but if he doesn;t make it then I would liek to see Ben Swift given a go.

A

Anonymous

online-rider said:
Hmmm. I think that conspiracy is unfounded. theyre just giving him a rest. Btw do you think sky will take any sprinters to the tour or be all for wiggins. And Gerrans, Asle arverson ??

i think the squad will be something like this:
arvesen, ebh, calzati, flecha, gerrans, lofkvist, pauwells, thomas, wiggins

And personally I dont think they should take EbH. He's nowhere near fit, I dont think hes got a cat in hells chance of winning green, and to be honest sky have made such a bodge job of leading out sprints this year I dont see them getting any sprint stages anyway.. I too would rather see Ben Swift who could get himself in a breakaway on one of the lumpy days, or take john lee augustyn for extra support in the mountains and a taste of a grand tour. Considering the cobbly first week, Stan wouldnt be a bad rider to take either, but i think he is another one earmarked for the vuelta (Although most people, myself included expected stannard to ride the giro)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
BJFANC said:
Hopefully Russell Downing , will be given a chance

Hopefully yes. Probably not. Sky's squad will mostly be centered around Wiggins and the mountains, plus EBH. If EBH does not ride, Swift will be chosen over Downing, since he's in good form (winning Tour de Picardie recently). Maybe one helper for EBH or Swift, but don't count on it.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
i think the squad will be something like this:
arvesen, ebh, calzati, flecha, gerrans, lofkvist, pauwells, thomas, wiggins

And personally I dont think they should take EbH. He's nowhere near fit, I dont think hes got a cat in hells chance of winning green, and to be honest sky have made such a bodge job of leading out sprints this year I dont see them getting any sprint stages anyway.. I too would rather see Ben Swift who could get himself in a breakaway on one of the lumpy days, or take john lee augustyn for extra support in the mountains and a taste of a grand tour. Considering the cobbly first week, Stan wouldnt be a bad rider to take either, but i think he is another one earmarked for the vuelta (Although most people, myself included expected stannard to ride the giro)

EBH can most definately get in that sort of a breakaway though?

plus taking part is a nice experience and stepping stone in his career

A

Anonymous

workingclasshero said:
EBH can most definately get in that sort of a breakaway though?

plus taking part is a nice experience and stepping stone in his career

but will he be fit.. ?

I would take stannard so that stan and flecha can help wiggins on the cobbles. Someone will lose the tour de france (or their hopes for a tour de france top 10, podium etc) in that first week.

TRENDING THREADS