• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky; Not invited to 2011?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Even if they wouldn't get the invite automatically through the World Ranking system I still Sky is virtually guaranteed a spot. Leaving performances aside (and Sky's performance this season so far has been pretty good) the company they represent, BSkyB (and by extension News Corp.), is potentially an extremely powerful ally and force in pro cycling. No offense to the Saurs, the Sojasuns, the Vacansoleils, the Footons, the Sevettos, the Skils, and the Shimanos of the world... But in terms of clout they are absolute minnows.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
The aforementioned Carrara, for instance. Like I said, I'd rate him higher than Wiggins as a climber. Furthermore they have Lagutin, Feillu, Hoogerland, Poels, Marcato who'd provide more than decent uphill support. No worse than the Sky guys, at least.

Carrara? They guy's best position in any Vuelta stage last year was 19th. Wiggins was in the top 12 in every big mountains stage at the Tour last year. Show we one result that suggests that Carrara can climb at that level. He's 31 now, so there's plenty of seasons for you to choose from.

Mambo95 said:
Carrara? They guy's best position in any Vuelta stage last year was 19th. Wiggins was in the top 12 in every big mountains stage at the Tour last year. Show we one result that suggests that Carrara can climb at that level. He's 31 now, so there's plenty of seasons for you to choose from.
He wasn't riding for GC there, they were working for stage hunter-turned-GC rider Hoogerland. His most recent result in the mountains is in the Tour de Suisse stage over the Albulapass, where he finished in the same group as Armstrong, Rodriguez, Schleck, and Kreuziger.

He can't TT worth shit, but he's every bit the climber Wiggins is. Yes, I'm one of the people who think that Wiggins' 4th in last year's Tour was nothing short of a miracle, mostly due to a depleted field.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
You've been making the fatal mistake of looking at eye level. Try looking at the floor and you'll notice that Euskaltel have been highly visible.

And Lotto? That's a bit harsh, with VDB up there, and Mario Aerts in break after break.

Agree. Can't blame Euskaltel for Amets's unfortunate abandonment, as we would have likely rode like a madman, especially in the Pyrenees. Also I strongly reckon that Egoi Martinez will attack on stage 16 and try to take all the mountain points in 1 swoop. He has been completely absent so far, probably trying to save as much energy as possible for the 2nd half of the race.

As for Team Sky in the Tour they are doing more than anyone for the globalization of the sport. A British team with participants from Norway, Sweden, Spain, Canada, Netherlands, Australia, and the UK is quite spectacular.

btw-on CNs start list Pauwels is listed as from the Netherlands, I always thought he was Belgian??

May 3, 2010
www.ror-zone.com
mowie133 said:
milram has stars :eek: who knew

The germans have the same problem as the french, winning with chemically enhanced performance and been caught is 100000000% more disasterous as not winning a single bean all season.:rolleyes:

But yes Milram has a few decent riders, but perhaps just not the team depth required in order to win anything really other than the bayern rundfarht or another "small" german race. In the target geman races they are strong, they could just use 2-3 grand tour wins per year, perhaps targetting the giro and vulta with Ciolek. :eek: Milram is perhaps the Cadel Evans of pro cycling teams ;).

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Straßenrennen said:
The germans have the same problem as the french, winning with chemically enhanced performance and been caught is 100000000% more disasterous as not winning a single bean all season.:rolleyes:

But yes Milram has a few decent riders, but perhaps just not the team depth required in order to win anything really other than the bayern rundfarht or another "small" german race. In the target geman races they are strong, they could just use 2-3 grand tour wins per year, perhaps targetting the giro and vulta with Ciolek. :eek: Milram is perhaps the Cadel Evans of pro cycling teams ;).

No, that would imply they whined when they lost and pretended that they could have won in the first place ...

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Straßenrennen said:

ciolek has been a big let down for me,late last year it was looking like he could outshine cav.but this year he is abit like milram gone missing :eek:
maybe should give up on the big tours an just try to win races closer to home.the way it's looking they might only have two riders

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tour invites are about one thing and one thing only: money. Vacansoleil and Skil-Shimano don't have it, they don't get invited. Sky and Radioshack have it, they do. Simple as that. Sky will be back next year, hopefully targeting stages not GC.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
For a start, they should get enough ranking points this season not to require an invitation. But even if they didn't there's no reason why they shouldn't be invited.

1. Firstly, they're a brand new team. Have a look how 'superteams' like US Postal, T-Mobile or CSC did in their debut Tour (Clue: it was worse than Sky). A white jersey wearer, a second and two thirds on stages and two guys in the top 20 isn't that bad. And the Tour's not over yet.

2. Other teams have performed worse. What have Garmin, Cofidis, Milram and AG2R done? (I'm quite well aware two of these are French). Even Liquigas haven't really shone, for an Italian superteam.

3. As has been pointed out, they represent a big (largely) untapped market.

4. They are the personal project of James Murdoch. This is the heir apparent to the third largest media empire in the world. As cycling runs on publicity, this is a good person to have onside. Plus Sky are one of the world's best and most innovative sports broadcasters in the world. Sponsors like this need to be encouraged and are useful to ASO.

5. I don't see any better teams that have missed out. Personally I don't see Vacansoliel's suicide attacks for fifteen minutes as impressive.

5. There's a good chance of Caisse d'Epargne and Milram, at least, won't be around next year.

As far as fresh blood goes, what about Footon Servetto, they have had a excellent Tour and despite their daggy team strip, definitely deserve a invite next year. I can't see Milram surviving another year either..

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
They are a very stable team with good results. They will be back without question. Especially with no Caisse d'Epargne; Milram; and possibly Radio Shack or Lampre coming back.

Plus, the tour is not done. They may get a chance at a stage win.

The GT selection policy is different next season. All they have to do is be one of the top ranked teams and they get an automatic entry.

Sky needs to start with modest goals and work their way upward. The path that Riis followed is a good one. It took Riis Cycling many years to finally win the Tour, but along the way his program notched a large number of wins in a variety of races by many different riders.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
tj_durrant said:
Does anyone else think that Team Sky might not get invited next year?

Two guys in the top 25, a few 3rd places and a couple of days in the white jersey has hardly set the road to Paris alight.

I can remember only one breakaway that they have been in and although Flecha shed the wristband last Sunday that doesn't seem too hard these days.

They may hope to win the Tour within five years, but they have to make sure that they are invited first.

yes they will not get an invite after all last years 4th was "a fluke" according to wiggo himself

they didnt deserve an invite this year

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, and you'd better hope that someone doesn't start a similar thread for BMC because it isn't like they have set the world on fire this Tour. Sky will be fine, and I wouldn't be surprised for them to make some substantial hires for next year.

they can start with management

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
S2Sturges said:
As far as fresh blood goes, what about Footon Servetto, they have had a excellent Tour and despite their daggy team strip, definitely deserve a invite next year. I can't see Milram surviving another year either..

I'm now officialy a fan of the Footen team, they come across as a fiesty bunch of talented riders.

As for Sky they are OK for the classics with Hagen, Flecha, Stannard, Thomas but as for a 3 week tour they need a lot more. Maybe getting Lovquist into the top 10 is an achievable goal next year but getting stages should be the priority.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
quite a lot of attacks, 2 times prix de combatif, 5th overall? top 5 places too? not too bad if you ask me

Dim has been blinded by the tears of Sky's and brad's failings everyday as he has nothing to blame it on! :D

Only joking Dim;)