• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky pulling a PDM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Fingers crossed that it really is food poisoning and not doping-related. It's a shame that today, either one is equally plausible :(

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I was waiting for this to come up. Either way it's not good and does not reflect well on their "aggregation of marginal gains" sure just one of their personalized number plates would pay for a chef for the team. Or very good quality dope.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Columbia's Cavendish vomited multiple times during Stage 2. Rabo's Mauricio Ardila did in Stage 3.

For days, riders on twitter have posted pics of temperatures on their power meters - 42 to 44 in the sun are common (107+ Fahrenheit). And they're out in it for long hours, eating gels and things. The guys are human.

A

Anonymous

several of the sky staff and mechanics are ill as well. They dope the mechanics? Its also not food poisoning.

Blimey..

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The moment I heard the news I immediately thought "Someone at the cyclingnews forum will try hard to link this to doping. To some people there, everything is a sign of doping."

The staff are ill too. So, no, it's nothing to do with doping

May 25, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Columbia's Cavendish vomited multiple times during Stage 2. Rabo's Mauricio Ardila did in Stage 3.

For days, riders on twitter have posted pics of temperatures on their power meters - 42 to 44 in the sun are common (107+ Fahrenheit). And they're out in it for long hours, eating gels and things. The guys are human.

Thank you, reality check guys, it's not ALL about the dope.....

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
The moment I heard the news I immediately thought "Someone at the cyclingnews forum will try hard to link this to doping. To some people there, everything is a sign of doping."

The staff are ill too. So, no, it's nothing to do with doping

The staff need stuff as well its hard keeping up especialy the mechanics.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I used to got to southern Spain a lot, mainly Ronda and Granada, as I had a Spanish girlfriend. It's stating the obvious but the locals simply don't go out during the hottest time of the day. The few occasion I went for mid-afternoon bike rides there were no others on the road, and I was frying in late September. The heat and large intake of water does get to you. Having said that all that needed to happen is for one member of the SKY team to arrive at the race with a gastric bug for there to be the possibility of it spreading.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
The staff need stuff as well its hard keeping up especialy the mechanics.

They don't get drug tested though. If they need something to keep up, they'll go for speed, coke, something like that. Far more effective for their needs and certainly not unheard of.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

There are more "humans" in the race though. Lets say another 10 riders were added to Cavendish and Ardilla, the statistical probability of 5 riders from Sky getting heat stroke also is minute. The fact it's 2 other and 5 Sky just seems strange. I am sure they knew the Vuelta was "hot" and acclimatized accordingly.

Now if it is a virus, it would infect many in peloton by the end of the week. It's completely plausible it's a virus at this stage. Also it would be rapidly over come.

How ironic that the only team that warms up away from the crowd behind a pvc screen is the one struck by a virus.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Its unfortunate for all involved, but still perversely amusing that the team that gloats (or gloated) over their attention to detail with nutrition and such should be struck down.

A

Anonymous

Fester said:
There are more "humans" in the race though. Lets say another 10 riders were added to Cavendish and Ardilla, the statistical probability of 5 riders from Sky getting heat stroke also is minute. The fact it's 2 other and 5 Sky just seems strange. I am sure they knew the Vuelta was "hot" and acclimatized accordingly.

Now if it is a virus, it would infect many in peloton by the end of the week. It's completely plausible it's a virus at this stage. Also it would be rapidly over come.

How ironic that the only team that warms up away from the crowd behind a pvc screen is the one struck by a virus.

can you clue us in on who the FIVE riders are please.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Horrible news for Sky, that's for sure. How is it possible though? They even say that some staff members have gotten sick while they apparently eat separately. :confused:

A

Anonymous

Begs the question, if they end up down to four riders, when do the financial implications of the costs involved in keeping those four riders in the vuelta outweigh the cost of leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS