• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky: Wiggins or Cav?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cavendish will stay in the race as long as he's in the green. If he loses the jersey or isn't wearing it come the end of week 2, he'll probably go home.

Sky, if they continue at their ludicrous strength, will have no problem putting people on the front all day for Cav on flat stages, and all day on mountainous stages for Wiggins. There are enough teams that want to take it to a sprint that will give them a bit of help, even if inadvertent, so they'll only need a couple of engines for that.

Marcus135 said:
Cav getting stage wins will be like an insurance policy against Brad not getting the win in GC, Sky can still leave the tour with some success. I imagine he will drop out after a while to focus on the Olympics as of course that is once every 4 years and this will most likley be his only opportunity to win there.

Unfortunately, nobody has told ITV this. Great that they are targeting sports keen fans during Euro '12 with trailers for their Tour coverage, unfortunate that they choose to do so by pitching it as Britain stealing French pride, and ignorant that they focus almost entirely on Cavendish in a green jersey.

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Marcus135 said:
Cav getting stage wins will be like an insurance policy against Brad not getting the win in GC, Sky can still leave the tour with some success. I imagine he will drop out after a while to focus on the Olympics as of course that is once every 4 years and this will most likley be his only opportunity to win there.

Or even better: put in one more domestique for Wiggins, and let EBH take some stages. That would cover both goals, and strengthen the chance of Wiggins to take the GC, too.

norwegian said:
Or even better: put in one more domestique for Wiggins, and let EBH take some stages. That would cover both goals, and strengthen the chance of Wiggins to take the GC, too.

Not really. EBH is a world class sprinter, but I wouldn't back him to win a sprint against Griepel, Goss and Kittel in the TdF. No way. Cav will still win a few, even without his train. Besides, Eddie will still get his chance. Like in Stage 1 for example. Perfect for Sky, Cav gets his chances, so does Eddie and Brad gets all the support he needs.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
How do you know? They look pretty fake to me.

You're signature explains your confusion. Bias. Perhaps jealousy? Go to a certain district in Amsterdam if you're confused. Lots of obvious reference points to clarify the issue there.:p

Arrggghhh. The good old Wigans vs Frodo thread!

Cav should get the nod. He's not going to choke. Wiggins...oh wait, he did that last August. Runner up to a team mate who nobody rated. Always bet on the numbers. Numbers are with Cav. Sky are going to miss out on both if they split the team. Heck, they'd miss out with Wiggins with a stacked team regardless. Can't split a team and take both...only way possible is in the early to mid 90s and that discussion is Clinic material.

If they want to win the Tour, Cav needs to be left at home. What do the British public prefer? Olympic Gold in the Road Race or a Tour win? If Cav goes to the Tour, two spots are wasted. Eisel and Cav. If Cav goes home early, you've wasted even more potential GC support. That's moronic. You can't have your cake and eat it...but Sky will try.

I do hope they do it...split the team. Will make Wiggins inevitable collapse even funnier. With their attitude, all I see is a lose lose scenario. Cav might even leave the team...if he can get more cash elsewhere of course.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yellow Jersey>>>>>>Green Jersey, green is nice, but if there is a chance of taking yellow any team will shift focus to getting it.

King Of The Wolds said:
Not really. EBH is a world class sprinter, but I wouldn't back him to win a sprint against Griepel, Goss and Kittel in the TdF. No way. Cav will still win a few, even without his train. Besides, Eddie will still get his chance. Like in Stage 1 for example. Perfect for Sky, Cav gets his chances, so does Eddie and Brad gets all the support he needs.

Agree, EBH works well with Cav. And if there is a day when Cav is not feeling well and thus cannot take the win then the job will fall to EBH.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Why can't she take the place of Eisel this tour?!? :(

She can lean out of the car every now and then to make Cav ride faster in the mountains trying to catch up to her.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Unfortunately, nobody has told ITV this. Great that they are targeting sports keen fans during Euro '12 with trailers for their Tour coverage, unfortunate that they choose to do so by pitching it as Britain stealing French pride, and ignorant that they focus almost entirely on Cavendish in a green jersey.

There's no suitable footage of Wiggins doing well at Le Tour, that's why :p

Galic Ho said:
Cav should get the nod. He's not going to choke. Wiggins...oh wait, he did that last August. Runner up to a team mate who nobody rated. Always bet on the numbers. Numbers are with Cav. Sky are going to miss out on both if they split the team. Heck, they'd miss out with Wiggins with a stacked team regardless. Can't split a team and take both...only way possible is in the early to mid 90s and that discussion is Clinic material.

Maybe, but Cav will most likely get a couple more very good shots at winning the green jersey. However this year is probably Wiggins' only chance.

King Of The Wolds said:
EBH did beat Goss last year in a sprint. Also with Sagan, an in form Gilbert, Valverde and countless others with much more pedigree on those types of hills i doubt he shall win stage 1.

Was this image before, during or after her pregnancy?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I think greededge's presence is a blessing for sky.

GE will have zero aspirations as far at the GC is concerned, so they will have to go for stages.

Bernie Eisel and Cav will just piggy-back them.