• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TEAMS - Losers :( and WINNERS :) ! !

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Always nice to have a rest day for the fans.

Anyway, given the huge shake up we have seen; which teams are :) ? and which are :( ?

To kick it off (in SteepHill order) http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#spoiler,

A few thoughts on a few teams and just to annoy people - a score out of 10
(based on Team expectations v's reality):-
------------------------------------------------------------

Sky 6.5/10

Froome a major hit but Porte has certainly surprised me and if he even gets a podium they will show they do have strength in depth and will be exonerated from any Wiggins BS (from the likes of me) in terms of picking the team.

Movistar
8.5/10

I think they are happy aren't they ?

Valverde on the podium and a decent showing from Visconti today albeit briefly. Arguably Valverde can win any stage he wants if he is in sprint distance of the finish line. Before the crashes Valverde had to beat Nibali for a podium. Its on a plate now.

Katusha
7/10

Was berating Purito earlier, but clearly he is out of form. Maybe disappointed so far with Kristoff with no fault of his own but will be happy - the Polka Dot is in the bag isn't it ?

Tinkoff 3/10

Tinkoff Disaster ! There were calls of Rogers and Majka winnig stages now. Can't see it. Think Tinkoff have lost everything today and will be massively demoralised.

Cannondale 5/10

Yawn Green Jersey. But Sagan is frustrated by no stage win. I can't help but feel Sagan is being wasted somehow? I must be mad? Is he still only 24 ? Could he do GC ? Dunno? Anyway a boring TDF for Cannondale, more fireworks in their merger with Garmin.

Belkin 7.5/10

It's good isn't it. With such a victory from Boom? GC is a bit of a dark patch but there is time isn't there ? Surely ?

Omega Pharma
8/10

Well the first disaster struck them didn't it losing their #1. But wow what a comeback. With no real GC ambition they are the Buccanneer's of the cycling world. Trentin outsprinting Sagan, Panzerwagen 2-day Blitzkrieg. think they are happy tonight.

AG2R
8.5/10

A great effort off Kadri when I was foolishly expecting Yates to go the distance. Have AG2R met their targets for this years Tour ? Probably. And a Podium from Dumoulin. Happy campers. Bardet in Fourth overall !

EDIT: And as rightly pointed out by Eclipse ; AG2R are leading the Team Classification by 3'19" - Chapeau !

Garmin
2/10

Confused here. Talansky ? Crashes and then crashes and looks fine. Doesn't crash and loses; what was it 10 minutes ? I know one thing probably the worst expectations 'v' reality in the peloton without a Team Leader DNF.

Giant
7/10

Job done. All about Paris. Enjoy the trip boys.

Lampre 5/10

So Horner was working for Rui? But I suppose he is 9th ? Gotta be disappointed at 'Pappy' but perhaps his team isn't ? Think they are where they expected to be.

FDJ 7.5/10

Its going well - In the GC - but where is Jeannesson? Hopefully Pinot won't get scared to death on the descents. But one of the happier teams IMO and one stage podium in the bag.

Lotto 6.5/10

What a strange animal you are ! 2 riders out, one stage win and a yellow Jersey whilst your GC hope loses over a minute today and stands 11th. A bitter sweet rest day for Lotto and JVDB needs to come out with something stunning or enjoy the Gesink train to nowhere IMO.

Jeez how many ****ing teams are there !!!

BMC
6/10

Still Motivated ! I think they are. Bit crazy GVA attacking yesterday whilst TJVG cleaned himself off but clearly the latter is in form! Did lose 22" to Nibbles today and almost 4' is a big gap now. He can go on a solo banzai as he has done it in the past. lets hope he repeats it - the Tour needs it.

Europcar 3.5/10

Thank God for Coquard. Otherwise the team looks full of has-beens. Rolland only dances when his favourite tune is on and TV roundly beaten for KOM today by Purito.

TREK 4.5/10

Well what can I say. Can't give them much credit really as the team seems to be in the departure lounge. The KOM jersey by Jens was a publicity stunt and once again the Schleks succeed in under-delivering. However that does not mean to say they are disappointed in their own achievements ;)

Orica
4/10

Mmmmm Not a lot to say is there ?

ASTANA 10/10

Yes how did I miss it !! Ermm well its a pretty boring summary isn't it? 10/10 ? Fuglsang has been a Trojan, Nibali amazing, Scarponi today is Schwazenegger in disguise. Yes 10/10 is fair I think. Might be a different score next week however ;)

COFIDIS 3/10

Sorry for missing these too. Clearly my finger is far too quick on the mouse wheel. (My missus says the same ) Well a small blast from Edet but where is Taaramae?

Jeez after that stage win earlier in the year I held out hopes but(after spending 10 mins looking on the overall list) he is 1 hour 27 minutes down?

Crikey gotta be a low score hasn't it ?

Ok Missed the other teams (IAM/Netapp/Bretagne) because my wine is getting cold and my typing finger hurts.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
thequestionmark said:
How could you not include Astana? With two stages and the gc won they deserve a clear 10/10 rating. They might even win the team classification as well.

OMG really !!

Sorry Will add immediately !!

What a dumbkopf !!

Along with Astana, AG2R have really impressed me. 2 men high in GC and more than decent chance of taking home white jersey with Bardet. All this before you factor in Kadri's stage and Dumoulin's podium.

And Riblon will be very chive in trying to take a stage in the coming weeks as long as he is not shackled to protecting Bardet and Peraud.

Even more impressive is the fact that this an AG2R minus Carlos Betancur (although he's only useful when motivated)!

Kudos to one of the smallest budgets outshining some of the biggest teams.

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Lotto have a stage win and a day in yellow.

Greipel has disappointed ouside of the win(kind of an oxymoron but hes been anonymous in other sprints) and JVDB is further back than they would have wanted.

But that day in yellow, on Bastille day completely outweighs those things imo, Van Den Broek could still try and get top 5 (thinking 5th) so I think they will be more of an 8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
webbie146 said:
Why is Giant 7/10 when they have won every sprint so far with kittel except 1? I'd rate them 9/10 so far. Agree with all the rest though :)

Thanks for your post.

As mentioned in the explanation of the thread, the scores out of ten are based upon 'team expectations'.

Therefore, although Giant have had a great tour they have not won all the sprint stages and Kittel is not wearing Green and have only really won where they expected to win anyway.

If Kittel was 4-up and wearing Green then I would have scored 10/10. ;)

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
richard_91 said:
Lotto have a stage win and a day in yellow.

Greipel has disappointed ouside of the win(kind of an oxymoron but hes been anonymous in other sprints) and JVDB is further back than they would have wanted.

But that day in yellow, on Bastille day completely outweighs those things imo, Van Den Broek could still try and get top 5 (thinking 5th) so I think they will be more of an 8

OK I appreciate that and think it is fair point you raise. Maybe I was a bit harsh there.

I think I would give AG2R a 9.5

Leading the team classification, grabbed a stage win (and some time in polka dots), have 2 riders in the top 10 GC, and 1 of them has the White Jersey.

I can't see how you could really have expected much more out of them at this point!

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:
Thanks for your post.

As mentioned in the explanation of the thread, the scores out of ten are based upon 'team expectations'.

Therefore, although Giant have had a great tour they have not won all the sprint stages and Kittel is not wearing Green and have only really won where they expected to win anyway.

If Kittel was 4-up and wearing Green then I would have scored 10/10. ;)

Well in sprint u can expect things like a crash, bad placing, etc that will ruin the day. If u told Giant before the tdf they would have won 3 out of 4 sprints it would prob be above there expectations right. They don't expect green because they don't seem to bother with it.

You should atleast give em 8/10 :p

Nah j/k I get your point :D

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Eclipse said:
I think I would give AG2R a 9.5

Leading the team classification, grabbed a stage win (and some time in polka dots), have 2 riders in the top 10 GC, and 1 of them has the White Jersey.

I can't see how you could really have expected much more out of them at this point!

Well OMG your right ! They are leading the team classification by 3'19"

Can't believe it. . . .

Yes maybe a 9 but any higher means they cannot attain anything further and maybe they can ;)

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
kiilike said:
hey guys, there's also team Cofidis, and they deserved at least mention that we missed them!

I have added Cofidis matey and I feel I have been fair. But they are hardly imbuing themselves with glory.

Sorry if you think I am being harsh and would be more than happy to amend if there is something I missed (which is very likely).

Anyway - much respect to you for being a Cofidis fan. I root for them too ;)

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:

Omega Pharma
8/10

Well the first disaster struck them didn't it losing their #1. But wow what a comeback. With no real GC ambition they are the Buccanneer's of the cycling world. Trentin outsprinting Sagan, Panzerwagen 2-day Blitzkrieg. think they are happy tonight.

I think OPQS need to stop carrying Cavendish through the Tour. This team set up as a team of elite stage hunter hunters could be un-****ing-believable. **** the flat boring sprint stages! They could build a team that would take all the medium and odd mountain stages. Imagine for a moment, OPQS decide to have nearly their entire team attack together, or in staggered groups, on a multi mountain stage. Blow everything to ****ing pieces. Stages that have a good chance for echelons? T****ingT****ingT and blow the peloton apart. If they wanted they could probably fit Uran or Kwia (needs to stop doing pointless efforts) and go for a top10 GC along the way. I really believe Cavendish holds OPQS back from completely destroying a GT.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Sciocco said:
I think OPQS need to stop carrying Cavendish through the Tour. This team set up as a team of elite stage hunter hunters could be un-****ing-believable. **** the flat boring sprint stages! They could build a team that would take all the medium and odd mountain stages. Imagine for a moment, OPQS decide to have nearly their entire team attack together, or in staggered groups, on a multi mountain stage. Blow everything to ****ing pieces. Stages that have a good chance for echelons? T****ingT****ingT and blow the peloton apart. If they wanted they could probably fit Uran or Kwia (needs to stop doing pointless efforts) and go for a top10 GC along the way. I really believe Cavendish holds OPQS back from completely destroying a GT.

Great post !

But I don't think it is Cav per se I think it is OPQS philosophy which might be behind the times. . . . .

OPQS philospohy is Boonen IMO. Spring Classics, Low countries one day winners etc.

But by god they have a talent for picking great riders.

To move to GC is a big move as they are a stage win team (one day classic winners) . But maybe Tony Martin and Kwia are tempting their hand towards a bigger game ?

Do you think they can do it ? I do.... . .

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
orangerider said:
Would not write off Tinkoff yet. Guys like Bennati and Rogers are very powerful riders who can solo in a breakaway finish.

I understand what you say and I would never have expected Rogers to nail the Zoncolan.

But the TDF is an altogether different race to the Giro and although the purists on this forum will always point out how the Giro and Vuelta are always better in some respect to the TDF (giro more severe, Vuelta better competition) the fact is that the TDF is raced the hardest.

And IMO Rogers winning the Zoncolan does not give him any green card to winning any stage on this years TDF.

Harsh but its true. :(

IAM cycling 3/10

Would have had hopes for Haussler to do well on the cobbles
Have been anonymous in the breakaways and I don't think I have seen Chavenal all tour

Bretagne 9/10

Got some TV coverage cos they have been in the break

Netapp 6/10

Konig is dropping on GC and would have hoped to be higher placed for him.
Machado only just surviving
haven't looked like winning or even contesting a stage

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Tigerion said:
IAM cycling 3/10

Would have had hopes for Haussler to do well on the cobbles
Have been anonymous in the breakaways and I don't think I have seen Chavenal all tour

Bretagne 9/10

Got some TV coverage cos they have been in the break

Netapp 6/10

Konig is dropping on GC and would have hoped to be higher placed for him.
Machado only just surviving
haven't looked like winning or even contesting a stage

Chava was in break with Kadri before he got dropped like a hot potato.

Bretagne who?

Konig was little unlucky so far as he was involved in two crashes. Especially on the second crash where he was taken down by the "idiot" Talansky and lost 3 minutes due to a broken bike. He still got a change for a stage win or a TOP 10 as he showed his legs today and finished 8th just behind the favorites.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
IAM got screwed with Frank out. He was a serious Top 10 candidate, and the team was build around him.

Not much else to do just go in breaks and hope for a good day.

TRENDING THREADS