• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tech you could not live without.

Is there one piece of tech that you could not live without? From the chamois in your shorts to a bike computer or anything related to the bike. I am just curious to see what folks think is essential/revolutionary tech that would rather lose an arm than go without.

I will start off with clipless pedals. I can think of nothing that has helped more with comfort and convenience on the bike.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Coming from a more recent perspective: I took a hiatus from bike computers for about 10 years, up until Garmin came out with their GPS systems for the bike. I've expanded my local training routes 10 fold thanks to Garmin. Yes, I could live without it, but I'd rather not.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
1. I would probably say clipless pedals too, I could do without my computer if I had too. (I've got the Polar S725X with power and to be honest I'm more interested in my cadence and HR, the power jumps around to much to workout to it but it's useful to get average power during a race.) Without shoes clipped in my max cadence is around 105, clipped in highest I've recorded is 156.

2. Saddle with cut out. I cannot ride on anything else.

These are the 2 things I cannot live without.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I would vote that clipless pedals have had a huge impact, along with modern, roadworthy clincher tires and rims. With a more than 40 year involvement in cycling, and having used every imaginable bicycle tire made, you'd think I'd have a soft spot for the good ol' tubular tire, (and I do!), but today's clincher tires and rims are just so good, unless you are doing crits or road races all the time, and you need the security of a tubular staying on the rim when you flat, a clincher will do 99% of the time. I know there are many tubie fans out there, and I still have some I use, I prefer the reliability of today's clinchers just because they do simplify things.
I won't debate about which brands are better now, but the turning point I believe was when Specialized released the first modern, light, almost bullit proof clincher with their Turbo, that's when the tide turned for me and I began using clinchers almost exclusively. I so rarely get flats that carrying a spare almost seems like heresy, but I still do.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Quick Release invented by Tulio Campagnolo in 1927.

And the 1949 Campagnolo Gran Sport rear derailleur. The first modern parallelogram rear derailleur.

It would be a different world if not for Tullio.
gransport.gif

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Quick Release invented by Tullio Campagnolo in 1927.

And the 1949 Campagnolo Gran Sport rear derailleur. The first modern parallelogram rear derailleur.

It would be a different world if not for Tullio.
gransport.gif

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I also have to vote for clipless pedals; can't ride w/o them, had to in the past after getting used to them, had the worst calf cramps imaginable! I think I'd likely quit riding if I had to return to platforms.

I don't own a bike computer anymore, and likely won't buy another; been off skinny tires since about '95, and won't do those again, either. I do have to say suspension, of one sort or another, is essential for me (herniated lumbars), and disc brakes are HIIII-IIGHLY ADVISABLE! Multi-speed is nice, but not a dealbreaker, as I'm looking at an old HT frame for an SS.

Frame material is a non-issue, personal choice and taste.

But those pedals...............

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Definately Clipless Pedals!

Although, on longer rides I don't think I could do without Gears or Chamois! Cheap Plastic Water Bottles are fairly useful as well!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Black Dog said:
Is there one piece of tech that you could not live without? From the chamois in your shorts to a bike computer or anything related to the bike. I am just curious to see what folks think is essential/revolutionary tech that would rather lose an arm than go without.

I will start off with clipless pedals. I can think of nothing that has helped more with comfort and convenience on the bike.

Clipless pedals, lever mounted shifting. Decent triples and now compacts(altho 'compact cranks have been around for a LONG time). More info about bike fit. Not much else has been evolutionary or revolutionary, in spite of what some say about Di2.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Previously i would have said clipless pedals...but now i think my power meter (PowerTap) takes the cake. Changed my life, and have had huge improvements since i got it (and continue to see serious, quantifiable improvements...priceless!)

Really tho, i think clipless pedals are pretty much standard fare on bikes...almost as ubiquitous as brakes and shifters...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Brifters and ramped cassettes. I remember the first time I saw a hyperglide cassette shift and knew I had to have it. The ability to shift under power, reliably was a huge step forward in cycling.

Much thanks to Shimano for doing it.