• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tegaderm alternative

Went down in a race yesterday and have some nice road rash. I usually use tegaderm but that usually winds up being expensive, especially when you need a rather big piece like I do. And I can't ever seem to get one piece to stay on more than a day. I'll probably just buy a bunch more unless someone knows of a better alternative.

thanks

There really is nothing better than Tegaderm. You can go the old gauze pad and wrap route with lots of bacitracin ointment on the wound and gauze pad to keep the wound moist if you need to, just make sure to change the pads and keep lots of ointment on there or you'll scab up too quickly and get all crusty.

Hope you shaved recently. :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tagaderm is da bomb! You need to buy it in big batches and big sizes, if you have extra you can always sell it to friends as well. It doesn't go bad as long as you keep it air tight. Hit the hospital pharmacies they seem to carry more of that stuff in the big sizes.

I know there's something new out but I can't remember off the top of my head what its called? Supposed to be just as good.

At a party a med student was there with a ton of cyclist and was amazed how knowledgeable we were on the things used to treat major road rash :D, tagaderm, new-skin, procedures to keep it clean, how to keep it from being a big brown spot by keeping it out of the sun when its still fresh...

BikeCentric said:
There really is nothing better than Tegaderm. You can go the old gauze pad and wrap route with lots of bacitracin ointment on the wound and gauze pad to keep the wound moist if you need to, just make sure to change the pads and keep lots of ointment on there or you'll scab up too quickly and get all crusty.

Hope you shaved recently. :D

No worries there. I'm relatively hairless on the thighs and hips, fortunately.

ElChingon said:
Tagaderm is da bomb! You need to buy it in big batches and big sizes, if you have extra you can always sell it to friends as well. It doesn't go bad as long as you keep it air tight. Hit the hospital pharmacies they seem to carry more of that stuff in the big sizes.

Thanks for the Hospital pharmacy idea. I've always gone to the local drug store and there are limited options and high prices.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Thanks for the Hospital pharmacy idea. I've always gone to the local drug store and there are limited options and high prices.

jaylew,
if/when you get your info please share it , i am interested to see what you find!!
thanks

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Went down in a race yesterday and have some nice road rash. I usually use tegaderm but that usually winds up being expensive, especially when you need a rather big piece like I do. And I can't ever seem to get one piece to stay on more than a day. I'll probably just buy a bunch more unless someone knows of a better alternative.

I don't know if they are more expensive or not, but two alternatives to Tegaderm are OpSite (Smith and Nephew) and Bioclusive (Johnson and Johnson). Both are available in large sizes which can be cut to the appropriate size. Gels can also be placed underneath both dressings to hasten healing of partial thickness wounds.

TRENDING THREADS