• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering what peoples thoughts will be on Tejay Van Garderen's season will be. New team focusing on what he wants to do. Help Cadel and lead races like Cali or Paris Nice. Then maybe when Cadel retires take over the leadership role.

So will Tejay be a hit or a flop this season?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
That's kind of nonsense... if the BMC guys have been training with Cadel the past seasons, it hasn't made them much better.

He however does make a point that training with a big cyclist can make you better. Hushovd said he climbs better now than in the past because he often trains together with Gilbert. Of course, BMC guys haven't really improved much in past seasons, but who says they trained together with Evans? Cyclists usually train alone except on stages. Plus you need some level of talent before anyone will notice an improvement ;) Evans was the only climber in BMC until now.

Mellow Velo said:
Agreed.
J B's level is about where I see him plateauing.

Makes sense.

I got in trouble with some Americans for questioning his once in a generation talent during the Tour of Utah, but he did basically nothing last year, and the year before his best result involved dragging himself up a hill looking very very uncomfortable despite Horner's best attempts to tow him.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I think he well be able to do well in the American races like california, and the US Pro Challenge, but I don't expect much from him in the GT and other European races this season. One day I think he could be a Leipheimer-like GC contender, able to not loose much time on the hills but then take lots of time in the TT.

Yeah, I think he could have a fine year (ie. not a 'flop'), but I don't see him winning races until he shows he can climb better. He hasn't shown anything 'top tier' as of yet, but he's still young, so it's possible. At any rate, he's the obvious 2nd gc guy on BMC (Pinotti too, but he's more focused on the Giro) so he should show quite well in the one-week stage races. Helping Cadel in the Tour might actually be quite good for his GC ambitions; if he needs to stay with him as long as possible on the last climbs, he won't give up gobs of time in the gruppetto and could finish fairly high (I mean, top 20 more than top 10). And he showed quite well in LBL last year, so he could be a one-day guy for hilly races, like the worlds.

Good rider, all around, won't get lost at BMC as they don't have much stage talent, but won't set the world on fire either.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
CatDogQQ said:
imo he will have a chanse on vuelta or giro
Well if his goals are Paris Nice, ATOC & Tour then giro or vuelta aren't on the cards.

Bavarianrider said:
Very poor Man's Tony Martin
Who can climb far better and can do a very good time trial.
theyoungest said:
That's kind of nonsense... if the BMC guys have been training with Cadel the past seasons, it hasn't made them much better.

He does occasionally train with some of the guys and I think there has been improvement but you are somewhat right. I think his influences on the climberas and stage racers would be more within a race.

TJVG could have a good season. Paris Nice suits him really well and so does ATOC.

auscyclefan94 said:
Well if his goals are Paris Nice, ATOC & Tour then giro or vuelta aren't on the cards.

Who can climb far better and can do a very good time trial.

He does occasionally train with some of the guys and I think there has been improvement but you are somewhat right. I think his influences on the climberas and stage racers would be more within a race.

TJVG could have a good season. Paris Nice suits him really well and so does ATOC.

Yeah I think it will be a season for development also for Phinney. Learning as much as possible from Hincapie, Evans, Gilbert and Hushovd. Not a bad group to learn from ! He should do well in the one week long stage races like PN and TOC. BMC obviously bought him with the future in mind. He seems pretty versatile. Be interesting to see how much progress he makes.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Makes sense.

I got in trouble with some Americans for questioning his once in a generation talent during the Tour of Utah, but he did basically nothing last year, and the year before his best result involved dragging himself up a hill looking very very uncomfortable despite Horner's best attempts to tow him.

TJVG is overrated on this forum imo.
While a decent rider, I never see him amounting as a serious GT contendor.

I just haven't been that impressed.

more of a short stage racer I see him as.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Only time this year where I thought he was remotely impressive was the stage in the USPCC. Brajkovic had an injury for his bad season, I rate TJVG (even) lower than Brajkovic.

TRENDING THREADS