• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tell me about Seattle

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I are planning a short trip to Seattle later this month for our anniversary. I'd appreciate any tips from people who know the city.

1. I imagine we'll be well set for coffee, but can anyone can recommend a place to try some locally brewed beer reasonably close to Qwest Field? We'll be catching the Seahawks/Bears game and I may need a primer.

2. Any tips re a hotel and a decent ride route would be great. I'll be bringing a fixie along, so I won't be able to hang with the Sunday morning peloton!

3. Final request, I'd also appreciate any restaurant recommendations for the anniversary dinner, a nice place albeit one that can accommodate a 2 month old baby.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't know Seattle well, but I did go there for a conference last year and loved the city. I cannot give you any suggestions for pubs with local brews, but the city is full of pubs so I don't think you'll have any problems finding a primer. I just stayed at the conference hotel, so I am sure you can find something better than the Westin. As for rides, I didn't take my bike but I did take the ferry out to Bainbridge Island and the riding looked very good there - lots of cyclists were on the ferry with their bikes heading out for a ride. The Harbour Public House is a nice place for a post-ride brew and lunch if you do make it out there. We went to Anthony's on our last night - really good fish (of course being in Seattle) but also family friendly.

Other things to consider are the Pike Place Fish Market, Sculpture Park and, especially if you are into architecture at all, the Frank Gehry-designed Experience Music Project (EMP) and the Central Library. The EMP is an amazing place. Not only is the building superb, but inside there is a rock museum (particularly dedicated to Jimi Hendrix) but also a hands-on music experience where you can do everything from learn guitar, piano, and drums to mixing sound tracks and recording your own song. It was a blast - helps if you're with a whole lot of drunk friends of course!

Here are some photos to wet your appetite:

The Frank Gehry-designed Experience Music Project
seattle233experiencemusicproject19-.jpg

Seattle Central Library
seattle141centrallibrary18-10-2008.jpg

Sculpture Park
seattle313eagle-olympicsculpturepar.jpg

Sunset over Puget Sound
seattle334pugetsound19-10-2008.jpg

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Seattle

Squares,

Grew up in greater Seattle (actually in Snohomish County, just north of King Co where Seattle is located)

As for cycling resources/routes, check out the following:

http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/Roads/Bicycling.aspx

I recommend getting over to the Burke Gilman Trail (just need to find a bike route that links to it from where you are staying). It runs from Ballard along the north side of Lake Union, along the Montlake Cut, across the University of Washington campus and north along Lake Washington. Relatively flat, well marked and mostly separate from car traffic....would be good on a fixie. While there in July I did a 50 mile loop on my Bike Friday that included it and the Interurban Trail (which runs N-S from the north end of Seattle into Snohomish County (can actually take it all the way north to the city of Everett). A bit of street riding required around Golden Gardens/Shilshole area and at the northern end (at King County/Snohomish county line) to link up.

Also, suggest you check out http://www.mapmyride.com to look for ride/route ideas...have always found it to be a good resource.

Great local beer is available just about everywhere....one of my old favorites is McCormick and Schmicks (right in the same area as Quest Field)...good for pre-game food too.

http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/locations/seattle-washington/seattle-washington/fourthave.aspx

As for "nice" restaurants, for scenery it is hard to beat eating at the restaurant at the top of the Space Needle. Food is OK and a bit overpriced but the view from the rotating platform is awesome. The Brooklyn by the Seattle Art Museum is a personal favorite with tons of different types of oysters.

http://www.spaceneedle.com/restaurant/

http://www.thebrooklyn.com/

Hope this helps,

Greg

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I just want to say thank you to those of you who shared your knowledge of the city. There are some good suggestions for things to do and places to ride, and some darn nice photos too. It's nice to hear from like-minded people; this cafe is a pretty good idea. Will raise a glass to you when I hit the pub to make up for any calories I lose on the ride.

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
1. There are lots of places to find good locally brewed beer. The most obvious is Pike Place brewing up by, you guessed it, Pike Place. But down by Pioneer Square, you can't go too far without stumbling on a place that will do.

2. Since I live here, don't know the best hotels...but riding from downtown: There is taking the ferry over to Bainbridge, or better still, Vashon Island, or Bremerton. You can check a maps site and see there's plenty of great roads out of Bremerton. Eastward, you can work your way over to the I-90 bridge, cross over, and head towards May Valley and it opens up southward.

3. Plenty of good restaraunts. With the wee one, I'd suggest: Palace Kitchen, Icon Grill, Dhalia Lounge is a bit more upscale. There are also tons of great casual/nice places up in Bell town just north of downtown.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
My wife and I are planning a short trip to Seattle later this month for our anniversary. I'd appreciate any tips from people who know the city.

1. I imagine we'll be well set for coffee, but can anyone can recommend a place to try some locally brewed beer reasonably close to Qwest Field? We'll be catching the Seahawks/Bears game and I may need a primer.

2. Any tips re a hotel and a decent ride route would be great. I'll be bringing a fixie along, so I won't be able to hang with the Sunday morning peloton!

3. Final request, I'd also appreciate any restaurant recommendations for the anniversary dinner, a nice place albeit one that can accommodate a 2 month old baby.

Thanks!

1. Pyramid Brewery is right across from Qwest Field.
2. W Hotel is downtown and chic. Ace Hotel is more eclectic but probably not great for kids as the accent is on the Bohemian side.
3. Great riding around Lake Washington. Relatively flat and just East of the downtown. If weather is cooperative, you can see Mt Rainier for most of the ride. Lots of loops and distances without getting too far from town, also. Team rides leave from the Leschi neighborhood on Saturday mornings starting at 9 am with modest pacing. You'd keep up.
4. Try a booth at Barolo for romance and child management. The Dahlia Lounge is a good choice as well and has booths. Steer clear of the chain restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, Palomino, etc and you'll be OK. Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

I have not been to Seattle in over 10 years, but I love food and have used this site to much happiness for me and my family: http://www.flavortownusa.com/

Zoom in on Seattle and you will find something good to eat. It is a list of places featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives, and if you like good food, it is a great resource.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I believe his trip ended a couple of weeks ago.

Hope the weather was good. Seattle can be nice and cool, or just cold, dark and wet this time of year.

It did, but I'm going back in a month for the marathon. My wife's version of the marathon involves running 26 miles, mine will involve cheering her on, infant in arms, then attendance at The Stumbling Monk to try out some of what I've learned in the beer thread. Infant back in wife's arms. So the recent additions to this thread are timely. The weather was incredible... I don't expect the same good luck at the end of November.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RMcSEA43 said:
1. There are lots of places to find good locally brewed beer. The most obvious is Pike Place brewing up by, you guessed it, Pike Place. But down by Pioneer Square, you can't go too far without stumbling on a place that will do.

2. Since I live here, don't know the best hotels...but riding from downtown: There is taking the ferry over to Bainbridge, or better still, Vashon Island, or Bremerton. You can check a maps site and see there's plenty of great roads out of Bremerton. Eastward, you can work your way over to the I-90 bridge, cross over, and head towards May Valley and it opens up southward.

3. Plenty of good restaraunts. With the wee one, I'd suggest: Palace Kitchen, Icon Grill, Dhalia Lounge is a bit more upscale. There are also tons of great casual/nice places up in Bell town just north of downtown.

We went to Palace Kitchen.... very very good and perfect with the baby. Didn't make it to Bainbridge but it's on the list for next trip. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS