• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tell Me About The Group Road Ride(s) In Your Town/City – I’ll Start

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Tell Me About The Group Road Ride(s) In Your Town/City – I’ll Start

If it were a game of street ball or pickup basketball, you’d have players double dribbling oblivious to the fact that it is not allowed, with those who know better allowing it because it’s just a recreational ride and “we’re not pros.”
If it were futball [soccer], it would be grown men catching the ball with their hands and running with it oblivious to the fact that it is not allowed, with those who know better allowing it because it’s just a recreational ride and “we’re not pros.”
Tonight there was a guy consistently sitting second wheel but would not go around into the wind. Even when the front rider stopped pedaling, this guy would put on the brakes instead of come around. I suggested he should sit at the back if he doesn’t want to rotate. He suggested I go to the back or ride by myself. It’s a group ride [emphasis on group] and as such there is the benefit of riding faster and farther than can be done alone. No one seems to understand this or even care.
There are many good riders in this town: a former junior national champion, an Olympian – former Saturn / US Postal rider, former and current collegiate national champions, and a handful of local legends. All the good riders have stopped going to these rides because the rides suck. This has been an ongoing problem for years and I’m ready to move to another area just for better people to ride with.
Where do you live that is freaking awesome for group road rides and where should I avoid?

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
easy winner, SoCal.
good (some epic) group training rides/races every tues & thurs morning and evening, sat & sun, all year round. Barry Wolfe ride, Rose Bowl, Eldorado Park, Hughes Park, evening crit training in OC & San Dimas, Montrose, Nichols cyn, 2 legendary rides, Simi & Como st., a few that I have missed, and the best velodrome in the country, + Wolf Pack Hustle & TRAFKAS weekly night rides
Boulder area come close, but the weather favors SoCal.

the guy you are talking about in your post is everywhere, always an idiot that takes the training ride/race so serious he never pulls, thinking he will outsprint everybody for the city limits sign, and then is never around at crunch time, that is recreational cycling in this age of $10,000 bikes

LB-OC New Year's Day ride
attachment-11.jpg

Rose Bowl
rosebowl1.jpg

Como St.
como1.jpg

Brisbane can be the same - great racing scene mixed with the types mentioned above. I've even seen someone edge across the track to the far side, edge back to the near side, then ride onto the grass next to the track, all while waving the next guy through just to get off the front after a 5 minute turn in a B grade race a few weeks ago.

The guy who was supposed to pull through then sat up and nearly caused a pile up :rolleyes:

The commissaire was VERY impressed.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Most of the bike shop rides around me are mostly the same. However, I most of the time ride with a club that has rides scheduled everyday and sometimes twice a day that has very strict rules. You always stay in a pace line, and riders will get chastised for attacking, surging on the front, or just generally riding poorly. The club has a lot of junior riders, myself included, who handle their bike well and are perfectly safe to ride with. This is because the team has skills practice 3 times a week and adults are more than welcome to come. The coach makes sure the kids are ready and capable of doing group rides before allowing them to do so. It's a great club to ride with, but it does cost money to join, and some riders don't like that too much.

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I was living in Colorado Springs, CO for a short while and the Sunday group ride was great. I remember one time there was a really strong cross wind and the large group leading the front became three perfectly staggered diagonal echelons chasing each other across the country side. And no one had to coordinate it. Everyone knew what to do. No one crossed the center line and no one was put into the ditch. The only complaint with that bunch is I was new to the scene and no one would talk to me except a mountain biker named Mark Reynolds. If anyone remembers him, he was the guy killed by a mountain lion in southern California back around 2004.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
SoCal the OC specifically. The best ever was Brian Lopes showing up to Coffee or Food Park might have been como (I cant remember which because it was like 8 years ago) with Steve Peat. hell yea and they hammered. Peaty in Baggies

Boeing said:
SoCal the OC specifically. The best ever was Brian Lopes showing up to Coffee or Food Park might have been como (I cant remember which because it was like 8 years ago) with Steve Peat. hell yea and they hammered. Peaty in Baggies

it was Como. Lopes on his Mtb. he used to do that ride a lot.

It's not a weekly ride but thought you folks might be interested to see a couple of cycling generations here....
ride yesterday for the Davis Phinney Foundation with a pic!

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_20775866/phinneys-back-saddle-again?source=most_viewed

btw coming home today after a run Taylor P turned the corner on his bike just in front of my car ...looked to be finishing up a training ride and headed for home...:)

(I may be in error but the other 'unidentified rider' looks to be a local cyclist /photog former biz partner of Graham Watson)