• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Terrible and Sad

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Very sad. The police are trying to work out whether the driver should be charged? Seems pretty clear to me from the report that the driver is solely culpable for this tragedy.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Very sad. The police are trying to work out whether the driver should be charged? Seems pretty clear to me from the report that the driver is solely culpable for this tragedy.

They will have a collision reconstruction expert examine the scene and compile a detailed analysis and report. They will also have the car examined to ensure that there was no mechanical issue that could have caused the loss of control. That, and collecting witness evidence, can take time. "Still under investigation" comments are the typical lines the police give the media until they are ready to submit their case. I wonder if the state has specific 'street racing' legislation. Some jurisdictions have a minimal sentence or otherwise consider racing an aggravating circumstance in a dangerous driving or vehicular homicide matter.

May he RIP.

Yes, 23109 of the CA vehicle code is quite severe on "speed contests" by "motor vehicle" operators. Note that bicyclists, while not defined as vehicles, are subject to the applicable responsibilities of vehicle operators, but the specification of "motor vehicle" in this law excludes cyclists.

Anyway, having killed his victim, this driver's liability clearly extends beyond 23109. If this guy even breaths on a steering wheel again any time in the near or medium future, something is deeply, deeply wrong.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Yes, that sucks another one bites the dust. What is it about "Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion" in the Cafe that people can't understand.

Moved to the appropriate section, once again.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yes, that sucks another one bites the dust. What is it about "Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion" in the Cafe that people can't understand.

whatever dude, last post

enjoy

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

that's a screwed up attitude, man. posting in the wrong section is worse than someone being killed?

move it and be done, but think about your priorities. i know you probably didn't mean it that way, (hopefully) but that sounds terrible.

tubularglue said:
whatever dude, last post

enjoy

Don't make me break out the Lance Cartstrong pic.

I hope they fry the driver and the others he was racing against.

On an unrelated note, today out in BFE I rode past a bunch of tards and their fart can equiped ricers setting up timing equipment on a public road.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
patricknd said:
that's a screwed up attitude, man. posting in the wrong section is worse than someone being killed?

move it and be done, but think about your priorities. i know you probably didn't mean it that way, (hopefully) but that sounds terrible.

You're reaching a bit. I said "Yes, that sucks another one bites the dust", sincerely. It's just that I've been moving threads around like crazy lately because people can't seem to get it right. Cycling in the Cafe, gear in general, clinic in pro. Worse than someone getting killed? C'mon. Oh well, I understand the sensitivity because of the topic, but it ain't the 1st time I've had to move posts started by the OP, try the 10th. If it's his last post, fine by me. Less work that I don't get paid for. How about a burn on China? Should I stop deleting Chinese spam? Y'all would have a helluva time navigating this forum. Please.:rolleyes:

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
You're reaching a bit. I said "Yes, that sucks another one bites the dust", sincerely. It's just that I've been moving threads around like crazy lately because people can't seem to get it right. Cycling in the Cafe, gear in general, clinic in pro. Worse than someone getting killed? C'mon. Oh well, I understand the sensitivity because of the topic, but it ain't the 1st time I've had to move posts started by the OP, try the 10th. If it's his last post, fine by me. Less work that I don't get paid for. How about a burn on China? Should I stop deleting Chinese spam? Y'all would have a helluva time navigating this forum. Please.:rolleyes:

fair enough, but it sounded bad. like you said, touchy subject

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
It's really a shame to hear this kind of news in any format. Makes me cringe when I hear or read about a cyclist getting mowed down by a motorist, especially when the motorist is an inexperienced youth breaking the law. Can't imagine how either side feels.

Sorry to all if I rubbed anyone wrong, I DNF'd a race today for the first time in about a decade and I'm freaking ****ed about it.:mad:

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
It's really a shame to hear this kind of news in any format. Makes me cringe when I hear or read about a cyclist getting mowed down by a motorist, especially when the motorist is an inexperienced youth breaking the law. Can't imagine how either side feels.

Sorry to all if I rubbed anyone wrong, I DNF'd a race today for the first time in about a decade and I'm freaking ****ed about it.:mad:

you're right. it's easy for us to get worked up, but the kid may well be feeling something we'll never understand. i knew a guy in the army that was looking at a long jail sentence for killing a women while driving drunk, and he told me that jail time meant nothing because he has a lifetime of living with what he had done. that's always stuck with me.

TRENDING THREADS