• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Terry vs. Lance

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Who's the better cancer hero?

Terry Fox: ran 143 days with one leg and sh¡tty Adidas runners, all the while cancer growing in his veins and no multi-million dollar contracts or helicopter lifts to the next hotel.

Lience Dopestrong: rode a bike for ~133 days with one nut and the best equipment available, all the while PEDs flowing in his veins and...well, you know the story.

You decide.

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:
Whose the better cancer hero?

Terry Fox: ran a marathon every day for 143 days with one leg and sh¡tty Adidas runners, all the while cancer growing in his veins and no multi-million dollar contracts or helicopter lifts to the next hotel.

Terry died 32 years ago and his legacy still lives large today. A true cancer champion hero.

I wonder what Lance's legacy will be 30 years from now? "Disgraced former pro-cyclist and founder of defunct Livestrong organization" sounds about right.

Here's an astute article written last year comparing the two:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1348371-lance-armstrongs-legacy-looks-cheap-compared-to-true-cancer-champion-terry-fox

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
How about your mom, your brother-in-law, your co-worker or any of the other thousands and thousands of ordinary people who faced the horror and stigma of a cancer diagnosis and went on living their lives the best they could; quietly caring for their families, being a friend, and going to work without fanfare; without being fawned over by the media or made into some kind of spectacle for public consumption?

You want to find an inspiring cancer story? Just ask anyone you see. Most people know someone who courageously battled cancer. Many have done it themselves. No need to buy a book.

While the acrid taste of spoiled hero-worship lingers in your minds, doesn't it even make you wonder just a little bit about society's addiction to these media-manufactured "role models" and what they are really all about?

The sooner we realize that TV is not life, the sooner we will start living.

42x16ss said:
Not even close. Comparing Armstrong to Fox is an insult to Fox's memory.

edit: Not saying you truly are but journo's have in the past

Agree with all points.

The comparison may be well intentioned - and I have compared the two in the past. At this point, after the Reasoned Decision and the Admission?

Bernie Madoff is a better comparison. With respect to Livestrong.com, Charity Fraud is a better category for Lance:

Charity fraud is the act of using deception to get money from people who believe they are making donations to charities.

Dave.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
gjdavis60 said:
...going to work without fanfare; without being fawned over by the media or made into some kind of spectacle for public consumption?

That's exactly what Mr. Fox did:

"Fox turned away any company that requested he endorse their products and refused any donation that carried conditions as he insisted that nobody was to profit from his run."

Hmmm...sounds precisely opposite from how whatshisname operated his cancer thing.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Random Direction said:
...contemplate what he selflessly did and his huge impact. Thinking of it still sends chills up my spine. True heroism.

"I remember promising myself that, should I live, I would rise up...and prove myself worthy of life, something too many people take for granted."
~ T. Fox

There's some chill for ya!

And you know that line wasn't backed by dope-fueled lies and greedy bullsh!t like that other guy was all about.

The Clinic is the wrong place for all this upliftingness.

TRENDING THREADS